• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Three-Button Suit Coats

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
When I say formulaic, you give me the impression that you are searching for an optimum, I just think you need to go with what moves you, learn to trust your eye, this will involve some mistakes along the way but you'll get some pleasant surprises also.
Give me optimality or give me death!

Live optimally or die!

Optimality today, optimality tomorrow, optimality forever!

Nothing wrong with optimality. If one has in mind a certain set of criteria for what would prove "optimal," one can then strive for optimality. Those criteria are going to be different for each person, so what is optimal for me is not necessarily optimal for you, etc.

Example: I have concluded that an "optimal" (workplace) tie wardrobe for me would:

... allow for both a spring/summer set of ties and a fall/winter set of ties with a one-month rotation within each season. Some ties can be worn in any season and thus, overlap will exist. Some, however, cannot.

... include a heavy representation of ties with blue grounds, dark red grounds, grey grounds, and black grounds with a smattering of other colors (brown, orange, purple, and bottle green) to provide some diversity.

... incorporate a range of conservative styles - solids, Macclesfields, dots, small patterned motiffs, and repps - in relatively equally proportions.

... include a varied range of silks including shantung, madders, foulards, etc.

Those considerations all inform my decisions about what to buy and what not to buy. It's not that I'm not using my own eye to choose between this and that. It's that I'm keeping in mind my desire for a balanced, versatile tie wardrobe that will meet the needs I have given it and fill in my needs with what looks best to me.

If optimality is Style Forum treason, then let us make the best of it!

treydog999

Reaction score
I personally have more 3 roll 2.5 suits than i have 2 button. I really enjoy having that lovely rolling lapel and I have the option if buttoning to 3 if i feel like it. As some posters already said people perfer 2 because it is the most common or 'standard' people go to. But with a 3 roll 2 you can look very much like someone wearing a 2 button on moment then decide to button it up properly for a 3 button look. I like the options and it makes the same suit look varied over the course of many wears keeping it fresh.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads