three button high stance

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by DWFII, Apr 11, 2013.

1. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Aside from bespoke, are there any three button, high stance SC or suits on the market? I may have a funeral to attend in the near future and I'd like to find a navy windowpane in a 40 or 40s. Looked on JAS and MW...I know, mostly ticky-tacky...but 3 button doesn't seem to be in style right now.

2. dreamspace

dreamspace Senior member

Ebay seems to have a huge, huge collection of 3 button suits. If you're willing to go that route...of course, a lot of the suits there will probably be from mid 90s to mid 00s, when they were the shit.

How much are you looking to spend?

3. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Are you ok with 3 roll 2? That is certainly more common and will be easier to find. Here is a J.Press model:
    [​IMG]
    True three button is very rare in ready-to-wear, except when it is in (bad) fashion, and then it is usually very poorly executed. If you are dead set on getting a true 3-button, it is possible that Brooks Brothers could help you. I would not expect their website to show it even if they carried it so you should call the NY store and ask to speak to someone in the suits department.

4. DWFII

I don't know I was looking at a navy SC/blazer for $600.00 ...might have bought it, I just couldn't stomach the really low stance. The problem is that I work with my hands and almost never have occasion out here in the casual-attire west to wear a SC or suit. The only time i might wear it is for the funeral I mentioned.

5. DWFII

That's a lot closer to what I want. I like the wider lapels. I often wear a notched lapel vest and while I'm not necessarily into colour coordinating I don't want the whole dern front of the vest visible. I want the vestt o just peek out from underthe lapels of the jacket.

You know this is gonna sound silly...I just watched the first season of Boardwalk Empire. Some of the colours were too much for me, but the cut of the suits were just my cuppa, and I especially liked the window pane fabrics. I know that sounds silly but I've been wearing and liking (as much as I wear anything dressy) the Prince Charles look/style for the more than 30 years. That said, I'm not fond of pinned collars or cuffed pants.

6. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Well J.Press is nothing like Boardwalk Empire, but they do a nice 3 roll 2 in a classic Ivy cut and represent fair value.

7. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

If you're looking for an ugly suit, go to Jos. A Bank. I think that they have the 3-button style that you're looking for.

8. dreamspace

dreamspace Senior member

I take it that this kind of suit is up your alley then? (Disregard the color though)

[​IMG]

9. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Senior member

You mean like this?

http://www.tweed-jacket.com/GALLERY...y/pages/1 douglaston tweed jacket_jpg_jpg.htm

http://www.tweed-jacket.com/GALLERY...lery/pages/1-striven-tweed-jacket_jpg_jpg.htm

http://www.tweed-jacket.com/GALLERY...llery/pages/1a gelly tweed jacket_jpg_jpg.htm

Not sure when you need it...

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013

10. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

If you've got $600 you could get Thick as Thieves to make you a whole suit MTM. They specialize in three button and you can choose wider lapels than their house cut if you so desire. IIRC they have some windowpane fabrics to choose from too. Canvassed and ready in about six weeks.

11. DWFII

Very close!

I didn't see anything on the Bookster site that I didn't like...But! they're in the UK!! I'm in central Oregon. And frankly, I'm a little afraid of ordering clothing on the net.Had a bad experience doing that.