• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Threads of tie coming loose

foto010101

Reaction score
Recently I bought (40USD) a Nicky Milano burgundy tie from a respected ebay seller on this forum. Today I received the item and noticed that some threads of the figures on the tie are coming loose, especially on the sites of the tie. The tie is 55% silk and 45% cotton. Please tell me whether you think this is acceptable or not:
1uk0.jpg
2ga4.jpg
3dl6.jpg
4mq9.jpg

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
those are very closeup shots which i know you had to do to show them clearly , but in plain view i bet they are very hard to see.

i check with some of my other ties and although not a high premium brand name like nicky, they are facconable and belanciaga, not bad names, but i do see the same kind of threads being loosed. not really threads loosed but more like the fibers some are lifted off the thread.

i think you dont have to worry about it if you wear it and it does not look different to yours or anyone's eyes.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
One of many reasons that I prefer printed ties. This is standard fare on wovens.

redtree00

Reaction score
I have the same tie, one in burgundy and one in navy. They both have the same problem.

Zubberah

Reaction score
Welcoem to the only downside of woven ties I can think of - fraying edges! I have this problem on the underside where the tie scrubs across my metal belt buckle and silk threads loosen. I thought about experimenting with hairspray on an old tie to set and harden the silm threads ...might try one day.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
reminton fuzzaway! will do the trick
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can find damage like that on Charvets in department stores just from people handling the ties. The problem with the beautiful high-end wovens is that they're very delicate and snag-prone.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, this happens. I don't know if it's "acceptable", because that's up to you, but you can trim them off with very sharp scissors so they don't snag and pull further. Some ties do this (Charvet is notorious) and some seem to be almost indestructible. I don't buy ties at retail (rarely buy them at all) but I would never buy one that would snag. I keep my fingertips and cuticles kind of dry and snaggly just to check for this...

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
This is a very common occurrence with woven ties and can be cured with carefull maintenance. Yes, as jay stated, you can trim these frayed threads as close as you can but you will never get close enough to get it all.
The trick I learned is this. Silk will melt. Get some Ohio Blue Tip matches or some type of long burning match. "Very Quickly" run the match over the affected area and there you will eliminate your problem. Try this on an old tie that you do not care for that much to get the hang of it. Do not do this! I thought I would try the gas burner on my stove. That was the last time I wore that tie. Good Luck!

Best Regards,

Gary

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drink8648
Get some Ohio Blue Tip matches or some type of long burning match. "Very Quickly" run the match over the affected area and there you will eliminate your problem. Try this on an old tie that you do not care for that much to get the hang of it. Do not do this! I thought I would try the gas burner on my stove. That was the last time I wore that tie. Good Luck!
In fact, the law-talking guy in me wants to say you probably shouldn't do this WHILE WEARING THE TIE, although then we might have a new candidate for the Darwin Awards...

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drink8648
This is a very common occurrence with woven ties and can be cured with carefull maintenance. Yes, as jay stated, you can trim these frayed threads as close as you can but you will never get close enough to get it all.
The trick I learned is this. Silk will melt. Get some Ohio Blue Tip matches or some type of long burning match. "Very Quickly" run the match over the affected area and there you will eliminate your problem. Try this on an old tie that you do not care for that much to get the hang of it. Do not do this! I thought I would try the gas burner on my stove. That was the last time I wore that tie. Good Luck!

Best Regards,

Gary

While I have never done this I remember reading here that instead of using a match with a flame that is less controllable try heating up a piece of metal (pin, fork or some other kind) and touching it to the threads in question.

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FIHTies
While I have never done this I remember reading here that instead of using a match with a flame that is less controllable try heating up a piece of metal (pin, fork or some other kind) and touching it to the threads in question.

Yes, I agree that this is pretty tricky at first and you will see that it takes a second of a minute to work on an area so you have to work fast. After I'm done with a tie, I feel happy to hang it back up to wear again.

Gary

foto010101

Reaction score
haha, lol! I will first try to cut them off, maybe a match or a hot piece or metal if the first method doesn't work.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics