• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THREADS OF APOLLO - OFFICIAL AFFILIATE THREAD

Which 2-tone colourway do you like the best?

• Blue

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Red

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Gold

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • All of the Above

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • None of the Above

Votes: 7 35.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1624298503372.png

Is this blue doable in a much heavier leather?

ThreadsofApollo

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
View attachment 1628323
Is this blue doable in a much heavier leather?

In short, yes. The dye process occurs at the very end after the leather is cut and the jacket has been stitched. The process is very delicate and thus requires very precise hand-dyeing which cannot be replicated via spray guns/ dye drums (only 10 jackets can be dyed in a day, at most). That what will make each piece unique.

With that being said, leather can differ quite a bit. So, a heavier leather, such a cow leather, might take different and would require experimentation.

ThreadsofApollo

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
After quite an interesting day on this forum yesterday,

I have come to realize that the folks on here, when it comes to leather jackets at least, like the following:

• Leather made from thicker hides.
  • More avant-garde styling.
  • Slimmer fits.
I was thinking of creating a jacket taking these things into account and input from the community. Would folks here be interested in that? I am picturing it as a very collaborative approach. Obviously, opinions will differ but that's why there are polls right?

Last edited:

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After quite an interesting day on this forum yesterday,

I have come to realize that the folks on here, when it comes to leather jackets at least, like the following:

• Leather made from thicker hides.
  • More avant-garde styling.
  • Slimmer fits.
I was thinking of creating a jacket taking these things into account and input from the community. Would folks here be interested in that? I am picturing it as a very collaborative approach. Obviously, opinions will differ but that's why there are polls right?
My advice: don’t do it. Stick with what you know and love and others who love it too will find it. Trying to do everything for everyone just leads to spreading yourself and product so thin it appeals to no one. A popular affiliate on SF, Epaulet, once had a noragi kimono like shirt that was very nice but they stopped making it because most people who want that sort of thing want it from certain brands that specialize in that kind of thing. Not saying there’s no chance it could be successful but I feel there’s a greater chance that an avant-garde piece will turn off your core customers and not attract new ones who won’t find it legit.

ThreadsofApollo

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
My advice: don’t do it. Stick with what you know and love and others who love it too will find it. Trying to do everything for everyone just leads to spreading yourself and product so thin it appeals to no one. A popular affiliate on SF, Epaulet, once had a noragi kimono like shirt that was very nice but they stopped making it because most people who want that sort of thing want it from certain brands that specialize in that kind of thing. Not saying there’s no chance it could be successful but I feel there’s a greater chance that an avant-garde piece will turn off your core customers and not attract new ones who won’t find it legit.

Thank you for taking the time out to offer your advice. I really appreciate it and what you are saying makes 100% sense. I guess after the back and forward in the other thread yesterday, my confidence temporarily was shaken and I have been trying to find some sort of avenue that will bring value to this community that you guys might enjoy.

Is there anything, in particular, you would like to see from us? Whether it be some behind-the-scenes videos/images of our production facility (wouldn't be the best quality since I'd be asking someone there to take them but at least it'd be something) or some insights that might not be readily available? For example, I was speaking to our production facility last week to plan ahead as there appears to be a hide shortage coming up very soon that we have been stressing over.

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say any videos would be great even if it’s just the jackets in motion since it allows people to get a better understanding of fit. Also if you have any jackets that have been worn in a bit that helps a customer.
I’m not your ideal customer because I live in Florida and already have way too much outerwear that gets worn once a year and only buy new stuff that’ are grail pieces I’ve had my eyes on for years. Good luck to you with everything!

ThreadsofApollo

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I would say any videos would be great even if it’s just the jackets in motion since it allows people to get a better understanding of fit. Also if you have any jackets that have been worn in a bit that helps a customer.
I’m not your ideal customer because I live in Florida and already have way too much outerwear that gets worn once a year and only buy new stuff that’ are grail pieces I’ve had my eyes on for years. Good luck to you with everything!

Awesome, thanks again for the input! :)

As customers share some images I'll be sure to get some up here as well as share some more images from a recent shoot that we did! I'll also try and get some videos so folks get an idea of the production involved!

I know you live in Florida and we actually do get customers from there (and Cali) quite a bit! It's one of the reasons we will be introducing Spring/Summer versions of our leather jackets next year! Basically, the styles would be similar, although we'd introduce lighter colorways and we'd change the following:

- Thinner gauge of leather
- A mesh/satin lining for a bit more breathability
- Perforations along the side and under the arms

If you are interested in testing one out when the time comes, let me know! It'd be nice to get some feedback from places like Florida (Warm weather comes a little late here in Canada hahah)!

Last edited:

ThreadsofApollo

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
On the note of Spring/Summer versions of our styles, we want to start introducing some lighter / non-traditional colours next year as well.

I recently got an update from our production facility that the first of these leathers, in these new particular colours, had arrived and I wanted to share them with you all.

Introducing Chanterelle:

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-25 at 12.29.10 AM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-06-25 at 12.29.11 AM (1).jpeg

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I gotta say, it's weird to read about you getting customers from all over the U.S. No offense, but I never heard of you guys until the recent posting in the leather jacket thread.

How are you guys finding your customers? Facebook marketing? Intagram?

ThreadsofApollo

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I gotta say, it's weird to read about you getting customers from all over the U.S. No offense, but I never heard of you guys until the recent posting in the leather jacket thread.

How are you guys finding your customers? Facebook marketing? Intagram?

I can understand that. To be honest, that is why I am here.

I basically worked 2 jobs back in 2017-2019 to bootstrap it and we found success doing a couple of Kickstarters and on Reddit, local word of mouth, and ads. That allowed me to secure a business loan to really push out FB/Instagram ads and built up an email list and both those helped and we have found success.

I had a customer who is now a good friend (customer first but then we become friends sort of thing), mention that I should try SF (this was about a couple of years ago). Before joining I had hesitation since I wasn't sure if this type of community would accept the brand and that he was an outlier.

After thinking about it ALOT and pulling the trigger a couple of months ago, I felt that even more when I made those replies in that thread.

But I know we do provide something of value, we are thinking outside of the traditional scope of what a leather jacket can be and I will try to leverage my relationship with our supplier to show some transparency and also gain insights to the industry that you guys would enjoy.

The brand is kind of in transition right now. Our real success was pushing the frugal aspect hard and honestly, I had never run a business before and I fell into this opportunity and wanted to make something of it. Thus, it has taken a while to figure out and gain input to what exactly this brand is.

We had a strategy back in early 2020 to "rebrand" and get the name out there more but due to COVID we weren't able to make the necessary content and changes needed. We finally were able to adjust in 2021 and have been pushing. So, the plan this year and next year is to push the name out even more (ex: podcasts, influencers, ads of course, and with the introduction of our first women's jacket, we feel that will be huge, new website). This of course also includes SF. Actually have people know who we are, provide value and hope that a few folks will take a chance here and we can build off that.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see. As an ecommerce owner who manufactures/supplies/sells my own products to retailers around the world, I totally understand. One thing I've never done and, after reading your post just now I caution you about the mistake I think you've already made is "pushing the frugal aspect hard." Once you've defined your brand as a "poor man's xxxx" and "frugal" you've doomed it to an extent. Frugal implies cheap and of poor quality most times when it comes to clothing. People like cheap and fashionable in Zara for example because they know they're buying a seasonal item that more than likely won't last a couple of seasons worth of wear. But to apply that logic to leather outerwear just doesn't fly.

For example, I've NEVER offered discounts or sales on my merchandise. And that's been going for 10+ years of doing this. Because I know my place in the market, and the demand for it. Once you introduce sales, discounts, markdowns, etc. you've just played your hand. You've let your customers know exactly how much you mark up your product and they become unwilling to pay more because they now see how low you can go and still be profitable. TOJ did this right, imho. He was upfront, to an extent about his costs, and thus priced accordingly. Nevermind, everything else that went wrong there, though... He also gave off a vibe of uncompromising quality and aesthetic sense and trusted his vision. He may have been learning as he went when it came to the business side, but you trusted his knack to knowing how a leather jacket should be put together. And that kind of confidence does not come across in your posts here.

So with that in mind, I'll just say this: You might doing a disservice with your posts here in the sense that you do not seem particularly knowledgable about any one thing in your business. I honestly mean no offense. But if you're learning about business, and you're learning about how jackets are made and you're learning about marketing all at the same time ... that makes potential customers wary, I think.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Adding here, I just searched you up on Reddit, congrats with the following you've achieved there. Specifically I see you're quite popular on the frugalmalefashion forum. So maybe the "frugal" angle has worked for you there. But I stil caution carrying that label outside Reddit.

ThreadsofApollo

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I see. As an ecommerce owner who manufactures/supplies/sells my own products to retailers around the world, I totally understand. One thing I've never done and, after reading your post just now I caution you about the mistake I think you've already made is "pushing the frugal aspect hard." Once you've defined your brand as a "poor man's xxxx" and "frugal" you've doomed it to an extent. Frugal implies cheap and of poor quality most times when it comes to clothing. People like cheap and fashionable in Zara for example because they know they're buying a seasonal item that more than likely won't last a couple of seasons worth of wear. But to apply that logic to leather outerwear just doesn't fly.

For example, I've NEVER offered discounts or sales on my merchandise. And that's been going for 10+ years of doing this. Because I know my place in the market, and the demand for it. Once you introduce sales, discounts, markdowns, etc. you've just played your hand. You've let your customers know exactly how much you mark up your product and they become unwilling to pay more because they now see how low you can go and still be profitable. TOJ did this right, imho. He was upfront, to an extent about his costs, and thus priced accordingly. Nevermind, everything else that went wrong there, though... He also gave off a vibe of uncompromising quality and aesthetic sense and trusted his vision. He may have been learning as he went when it came to the business side, but you trusted his knack to knowing how a leather jacket should be put together. And that kind of confidence does not come across in your posts here.

So with that in mind, I'll just say this: You might doing a disservice with your posts here in the sense that you do not seem particularly knowledgable about any one thing in your business. I honestly mean no offense. But if you're learning about business, and you're learning about how jackets are made and you're learning about marketing all at the same time ... that makes potential customers wary, I think.

No offense taken at all! Thanks for the advice! I am particularly knowledgeable about leather/leather jackets. I've been in this 24/7 the last 4 years and have a person who has 30+ years of experience on my side so I'm comfortable there. But the marketing and brand aspect, which is super important (some might even say above anything else) was something I had to learn, and at the time, I didn't have the knowledge or a marketing manager type person, that I do now.

At the time, the brand was much more about being frugal since frugal was the only way I knew how to market it. I think now with some help and understanding marketing in general, I can kind of execute what's been in my head this whole time if that makes sense? Or at least do a better job than what we were doing. That includes basically building a new email list from scratch, for example, and focusing on a different type of customer. I definitely agree that I did a disservice for the brand but it is what it is. I had to make money and justify working 2 jobs and investing so much in something. It's part of running a business for the very first time and all I can do is learn from it and move on.

On the bright side, I think we're still not that well known where we can make that pivot successfully before making that big marketing pushes that I mentioned earlier. In hindsight, maybe I should have waited until we had the new website up and did some reshoots before being on here.

As for me here, I don't think I want to be "the guy" who you go to, on how to put a leather jacket together. I think you guys are super knowledgeable in that regard and whatever I would have to say, you guys probably already know.

I just want people to know, here, that there is a brand like ours, where I am obsessing over trying to provide the most value that this price point and trying to think of leather jackets in a different way. That, we do have a unique relationship with our supplier (family type) where I can really be transparent and show you guys cool stuff or provide insight.

And I just want to be real. Be me and try to nail down what I can do for you guys. I can't really look back. I just need to keep looking forward here.

ThreadsofApollo

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Wanted to also add, if you guys would like more in-depth stuff about tanning, or pattern making, cutting, stitching, or a real-time video of how the two-tone jackets above, are dyed/made, that is the sort of "expert" stuff I can definitely provide. By not being the "go-to" guy, I just meant that if someone would ask in that leather jacket thread, how something fits or a question about a leather jacket, you'd get 5-10 replies before I could jump in and a few, if not all would be really solid and spot-on advice, I can definitely show you guys all this other stuff though and go in-depth.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about trying to shove "in-depth" photos and videos here, to be honest. Again, using TOJ as an example, Drew didn't bother with all that. The end product should speak for itself, and the customer feedback will confirm or dispute that. You just gotta get your customer feedback more widely spread. They will be all the marketing you need for now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads