• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thread Habits: Do Certain Users Cause You To Click/Avoid A Thread?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Lately I've become more aware of my SF reading habits. Aside from clicking on new topics that interest me or old threads I check up on I've noticed that I weigh the user name as I would the topic title. A few examples:

-New thread with a topic I'm not interested in/neutral to: If it's started by someone I consider to be coherent then that great increases the chances of checking in on it versus a user name I don't recognize/have apathy for/loathe.

-Old thread I've checked out in the past: Pretty much the same deal.

-Started by Conne/kwilk: I ask myself to begin with why it wasn't just started in Dumb Threads; if it is already in DT then I ask myself what I'm doing in DT.

-Mixed bag: Last posted by someone I don't despise so I check to join in and help. Last posted by someone I despise so I check to harass/incite/put in place/bully/etc.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I've said it before but, with that current avatar of his, I will definitely click on any thread where Nantucket Red posts.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I've been doing this forever

if the thread is started by/or last post is by an ally/foe then I'm curious enough to click on it, even if the topic has no interest to me

then there are some threads I wont click on only because the last person to post is someone I find completely uninteresting in every way

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool thread.

Now when everyone sees that I have posted in here they will avoid it like the plague. I have successfully killed your thread.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
(at GS) Yeah, that's pretty much how it is for me. The topic has to be really, really boring (i.e., located in MC/CE) for me to see a friend/foe and not click.

x, I try to avoid you at all costs but you routinely follow me. Last weekend I was on a bus coming home from the beach when this blond sat next to me. I told her I was from LA, she told me she was from "outside Atlanta, in the Lilburn area." I got up and walked home.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't really care who started the thread or what the topic is. I click, skim, and then respond or choose not to respond accordingly. Also, there are members who start threads who just don't exist to me, so in those instances, I won't click or skim.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
x, I try to avoid you at all costs but you routinely follow me. Last weekend I was on a bus coming home from the beach when this blond sat next to me. I told her I was from LA, she told me she was from "outside Atlanta, in the Lilburn area." I got up and walked home.

you should have asked her to take her top off for you...just to see if she had the matching "mark" on her chest

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think you overthink this. If I like the topic I read. Sometimes people surprise me.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xchen
So was this girl hot?
My thought process when seeing other Americans here: 1) Are they hippies? 2) Seriously, what's wrong with them? 3) Ok, maybe they're just studying/teaching abroad. That's fine. 4) Repeat #2. 5) Are they cute enough? Fine. No real names. But to answer your question, she would have been cute had she not been chubby and covered in sweat. And LOL @ kwilk. You couldn't close an automatic sliding door.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Clearly you were lying in the "misanthrope" thread.

What - you read what I post? The misanthrope thread is in DT's which is therefore subject to embellishment.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I think the fact that whodini didn't close the deal proves she was hot.

oh, snap!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads