1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Thread Habits: Do Certain Users Cause You To Click/Avoid A Thread?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by whodini, Nov 3, 2008.

1. whodini

whodini Senior member

Lately I've become more aware of my SF reading habits. Aside from clicking on new topics that interest me or old threads I check up on I've noticed that I weigh the user name as I would the topic title. A few examples:

-New thread with a topic I'm not interested in/neutral to: If it's started by someone I consider to be coherent then that great increases the chances of checking in on it versus a user name I don't recognize/have apathy for/loathe.

-Old thread I've checked out in the past: Pretty much the same deal.

-Started by Conne/kwilk: I ask myself to begin with why it wasn't just started in Dumb Threads; if it is already in DT then I ask myself what I'm doing in DT.

-Mixed bag: Last posted by someone I don't despise so I check to join in and help. Last posted by someone I despise so I check to harass/incite/put in place/bully/etc.

2. bachbeet

bachbeet Senior member

Well, I've said it before but, with that current avatar of his, I will definitely click on any thread where Nantucket Red posts.

3. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

I've been doing this forever

if the thread is started by/or last post is by an ally/foe then I'm curious enough to click on it, even if the topic has no interest to me

then there are some threads I wont click on only because the last person to post is someone I find completely uninteresting in every way

4. xchen

xchen Senior member

Cool thread.

Now when everyone sees that I have posted in here they will avoid it like the plague. I have successfully killed your thread.

5. whodini

whodini Senior member

(at GS) Yeah, that's pretty much how it is for me. The topic has to be really, really boring (i.e., located in MC/CE) for me to see a friend/foe and not click.

x, I try to avoid you at all costs but you routinely follow me. Last weekend I was on a bus coming home from the beach when this blond sat next to me. I told her I was from LA, she told me she was from "outside Atlanta, in the Lilburn area." I got up and walked home.

6. GoSurface

GoSurface Senior member

I don't really care who started the thread or what the topic is. I click, skim, and then respond or choose not to respond accordingly. Also, there are members who start threads who just don't exist to me, so in those instances, I won't click or skim.

7. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

x, I try to avoid you at all costs but you routinely follow me. Last weekend I was on a bus coming home from the beach when this blond sat next to me. I told her I was from LA, she told me she was from "outside Atlanta, in the Lilburn area." I got up and walked home.

you should have asked her to take her top off for you...just to see if she had the matching "mark" on her chest

8. whodini

whodini Senior member

I've heard it's really just a branding they do once you hit 18.

9. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I think you overthink this. If I like the topic I read. Sometimes people surprise me.

10. whodini

whodini Senior member

I think you overthink this. If I like the topic I read. Sometimes people surprise me.
    Clearly you were lying in the "misanthrope" thread.

11. xchen

xchen Senior member

So was this girl hot?

12. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

So was this girl hot?

I think the fact that whodini didn't close the deal proves she was hot.

13. whodini

whodini Senior member

So was this girl hot?
    My thought process when seeing other Americans here: 1) Are they hippies? 2) Seriously, what's wrong with them? 3) Ok, maybe they're just studying/teaching abroad. That's fine. 4) Repeat #2. 5) Are they cute enough? Fine. No real names. But to answer your question, she would have been cute had she not been chubby and covered in sweat. And LOL @ kwilk. You couldn't close an automatic sliding door.

14. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Clearly you were lying in the "misanthrope" thread.

What - you read what I post? The misanthrope thread is in DT's which is therefore subject to embellishment.

15. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I think the fact that whodini didn't close the deal proves she was hot.

oh, snap!

16. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

And LOL @ kwilk. You couldn't close an automatic sliding door.

BAM!!

17. xchen

xchen Senior member

If I ran into a girl that said she was from LA/CR, I'd probably bang her even if she was chubby, out of the chance that it might have been Who's sister. BUT, not in a creepy "banging Who's sister is like an extension of banging Who himself," kind of way. It's just that you never know when a situation like that could pop up again.

18. whodini

whodini Senior member

Well that's why I'm glad I'm an only child. Jas would have banged any possible pasty siblings of mine ages ago.

I was tempted to name drop since I figured it was a small town in GA and all but I figured the follow-up of how I knew you would just be awkward.

19. xchen

xchen Senior member

It's small but I think there are at least about 15k people. Also, I think a lot of churches from around here do missions in CR. I recall a kid in my math class stayed home alone while his parents went to do a mission in CR for like a week or two. Anyways, this story does get better...

The whole church group decided to pile on this rope bridge and take a group photo. Meanwhile the bridge snaps and everyone falls off. The kid's dad was actually the only one who died but it was really such a freak accident that I found it memorable. It was kind of sad because the guy went from being the class clown before all of this and I never recall him saying anything after it all happened.

20. whodini

whodini Senior member

Yikes.

Well, if it helps she said she's going to back home to study nursing. I told her you could point her to the nearest rectal thermometer.