• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on wearing a tie bar with a knit tie?

robasaurus

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I've been reading the forums here for a while and finally got around to registering in January, but I haven't found much to post about until now!

I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on wearing a tie bar with a knit tie. I'm not wondering so much about what you think of tie bars or knit ties in general since I definitely like them. I just can't decide on whether or not I like the idea of a tie bar with a knit tie. Specifically, I have silk knit solids and patterns, and solid wool knits as well. What say you? Yea or nay?

correction: tie CLIP

s4usea

Reaction score
well, I know I'm going to upset people with this, but I think there's some things that come back every generation so that a new crop of people with no memory of it can get that it sucks.

Knit ties and tie bars fit into this paradigm.

I know there are people here that'll disagree, but check back here in five years or so...

organix71

Reaction score
i say go for it, i think it looks finished and sharp. I think knit ties look good with more textured clothing tho--oxford cloth shirts and flannel or tweed jacket and pants, so i tend to think of them as a more fall/wintery thing, but i don't know that everyone feels that way.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing these with a tie pin (like a kilt pin) is a good look too.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is what you are referring to, but I think knit ties look great with collar bars, particularly safety pin styles. The texture and casualness of the tie tones down the dressiness of the collar bar. I wear this fairly often.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by knittieguy
I'm not sure if this is what you are referring to, but I think knit ties look great with collar bars, particularly safety pin styles. The texture and casualness of the tie tones down the dressiness of the collar bar. I wear this fairly often.

That's what I'm talking about, but you can take a real safety-pin collar bar and use it as a tie pin (the old Italian guy that thesartorialist features every now and again does it, for instance.)

robasaurus

Reaction score
Sorry guys, what I meant to say was tie CLIP. As in, what holds your tie to your shirt, not what goes under the knot at the collar.

khaki sack

Reaction score
No tie clip , period.

Tie clips make you look fussy and worried. I don't know why they are so popular today. Tie clips are an unnecessary item of jewelry and should be avoided , if at all possible.

Just my .o2.

robasaurus

Reaction score
I've made up my mind now about wearing a tie clip with a silk knit, and I'll do that the next time I wear one of my silk knit ties. However, the idea of a tie clip with a wool knit tie still throws me off a bit. Something about the thickness and softness of the tie... I can't quite put my finger on it.

Originally Posted by khaki sack
No tie clip , period.

Tie clips make you look fussy and worried. I don't know why they are so popular today. Tie clips are an unnecessary item of jewelry and should be avoided , if at all possible.

Just my .o2.

I'm pretty sure I specified that I was not looking for that kind of answer. Thanks for reading the op!

khaki sack

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robasaurus
I'm pretty sure I specified that I was not looking for that kind of answer. Thanks for reading the op!

You said , you were wondering what everyone's thoughts are , on wearing a tie clip with a knit tie. I gave you my thoughts.

What word , didn't you understand ?

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by s4usea
some things that come back every generation so that a new crop of people with no memory of it can get that it sucks.

Knit ties and tie bars fit into this paradigm.

Since their introduction knit ties have never fallen out of fashion.....or style.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads