• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on US Navy deck jacket?

jakejake

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting this jacket. What are you thoughts on them? I live in the NW, and it looks like something would keep me warm during the winter? Do you know where I can buy it? I know Jcrew sells a similar version, but it's damn too expensive.

sci-fi-o-hi-fi

Reaction score
I've wanted one pretty badly for a while, every once in a while a real deck jacket pops up on ebay for a good price, but I don't have the funds for the Eastman, the Rickson, nor the MFSC models. Besides it's getting too late in the season to justify it fully now. Might as well wait til next fall. Let it be known though, if I had money I'd get one in a second.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I wouldn't do it with the USN thing on the back unless you were/are in the navy.

And I have 2 USN peacoats, a USN bridge coat, 3 or so issue/repro USAF flight jackets, and probably more I'm not thinking of. I like the design but unfortunately it seems poseurish with the text.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty cool jackets. I wouldn't wear with the USN on the back either, but it isn't disrespectful to do so since there are no ranks. If you are a fan of the Navy then it could just be like wearing a 49ers jacket. Just kinda cheesy and people will be asking you all the time about whether or not you were in the Navy.

Riley Dee

Reaction score
I have a vintage deck jacket I bought on eBay for about a hundred bucks. I tend to wear it with APC's NS, a plain t shirt, and vintage work boots. The jacket has no stenciling or ranking. I typically get very positive comments when I wear it.

Also, I would echo J's sentiment that it might seem a bit costume-y to wear one with the USN stencil. Great looking jacket though.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Both the USN and the J. Crew versions are pretty corny. I'd pass on this entirely and go for something like a Baracuta jacket.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want the Mister Freedom (J Crew) one, buy it from Self Edge for less.

JMK

Reaction score
I have the Buzz Rickson version that came without stenciling. Be prepared, or if you read the description carefully you'll know, because it has a plastic membrane in between the lining for water / windproofing which causes a crinkling noise.

LCI 713

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMK
I have the Buzz Rickson version that came without stenciling. Be prepared, or if you read the description carefully you'll know, because it has a plastic membrane in between the lining for water / windproofing which causes a crinkling noise.

There are actually two distinct but similar reproductions of US navy Cold Weather Jackets being discussed in this thread. Both were blue cotton corduroy with with wool knit cuff, neck, and waist bands and were lined with Melton wool. Sandwiched between this lining and the outer shell was a layer of celluloid plastic material for waterproofing. A correct reproduction of either type will have this. Also there were two applique slash pockets on the front of both.

The first style of jacket was similar in pattern to the US Army's Winter combat jacket more commonly known as the "Tanker Jacket" and featured a front zipper closure. The second pattern appeared in 1943 and had a flap closure with fireman type "hook fasteners" and "U.S. NAVY" or "U.S. COAST GUARD" silk screened in silver on the back. A proper reproduction of this second jacket will always have markings like this. I have never seen an original 'first pattern" jacket with them however.

These changes were implemented because it was found that sea spray would freeze on contact with the zipper of the first pattern in extremely cold conditions rendering it difficult to open and close particularly with gloved hands. Additionally the prominent marking on the back was intended to identify the sailor wearing it as friendly to other US forces who might mistake them for enemy effectives during amphibious or shore operations.

The blue deck jackets we are discussing here were replaced, as standard issue, with the N-1 type in 1944.

Nothing poser about them if you happen to work on a restored WWII vintage, ship as do I, and you do not want to wear a very expensive and hard to replace original. Although I do find it a little strange to see them worn by people who look like they would not last a day in the service as a fashion statement in some of the adds I have seen on line.

Sam

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads