• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on this tuxedo?

UKyank

Reaction score
I had to retire a tuxedo i owned a few years back and hadn't had a need for one until now. I rarely wear one, so wasnt looking to spend any more then $1K. Liked some i saw with Brook Brothers but their available size choices were rubbish.

I came acros the below one with Ralph Lauren that I am considering picking up. Its shockingly in my size (42L), and with the current coupon, come out to be $637. Its their Blue Label and the regular price on it $1595 is way over priced in my opinion, but I think its current sale price is a decent deal.

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3002705

As always, opinions welcomed as I don't actually need this until August, but dont want to miss out on a good deal either.

Thanks

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing no socks with pumps deserves a good old-fashioned beating.
Welcome to Styleforum UKyank.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Design-wise, not terrible.

The double vents are not ideal but are acceptable. The flapped pockets are almost certainly a non-issue as as the odds are 100-1 that you can tuck the flaps in and turn them into jetted pockets.

There are a few cringe-worthy specifics, however.

People have already pointed out the shoes.

There is also the implication that you can wear this tuxedo without some sort of waist covering and without suspenders (note the side-adjusters.) No, you can't -- or at least you shouldn't.

The buttoning point may be a little high and the quarters may be a bit too open. But that is way down in the weeds, especially for a tuxedo. Anyway, that may just be the way the model is standing and, even if it's not, it may be just fine on you.

matty long legs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually bought this tuxedo when it was on an even better sale in January. I personally like double vents on a tuxedo so that was fine with me. And flapped pockets are a non-issue because they can be tucked in. Like others have pointed out, wear socks and a cummerbund or vest. Personally, I find the buttoning point and the quarters to be fine. Just make sure you get a grosgrain tie and cummerbund to match the lapels.

UKyank

Reaction score
Thanks. Ill give it a shot & see how it fits (unfortunately no RL stores conveniently around here) so ill just order online & returns are easy enough with them. As I mentioned I have till August to need a tuxedo so it's no big deal either way.

And don't worry, at no point was I considering the sock less look of the model (or the pirate shoes).

Thanks for the comments.

Last edited:

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If this rig hits ebay in my size I'm going to pull the trigger and find places to wear it.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
most pocket flaps can be tucked in and vents can be sewn shut.

They can be, but why? Tucking in pocket flaps is stupid and getting vents closed is an extra cost ($ and time). For something as simple as that, I'd rather just buy what I want from the outset, but like told OP, if you like it, give it a shot.

Last edited:

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They can be, but why? Tucking in pocket flaps is stupid and getting vents closed is an extra cost ($ and time). For something as simple as that, I'd rather just buy what I want from the outset, but like told OP, if you like it, give it a shot.

The issue is finding a tuxedo of similar quality / good fit at the highly discounted price that OP seems to be getting. Even with the cost of getting the vents closed, this could still be a very good deal.

AdamWill

Reaction score
"They can be, but why?"

It's very hard to find an OTR tuxedo that is traditionally correct in every respect, so one with convertible pocket flaps really shouldn't be a dealbreaker if it's fine in every other way.

"Tucking in pocket flaps is stupid"

That seems like kind of a silly assertion floating in mid-air without any support. In what way is it 'stupid'? If UKyank buys this tuxedo and tucks the flaps in, he'll have a tuxedo that looks correct, in his size, within his budget. So what's stupid about it?

johnvw

Reaction score
They can be, but why? Tucking in pocket flaps is stupid and getting vents closed is an extra cost ($ and time). For something as simple as that, I'd rather just buy what I want from the outset, but like told OP, if you like it, give it a shot.

The issue is finding a tuxedo of similar quality / good fit at the highly discounted price that OP seems to be getting. Even with the cost of getting the vents closed, this could still be a very good deal.

"They can be, but why?"

It's very hard to find an OTR tuxedo that is traditionally correct in every respect, so one with convertible pocket flaps really shouldn't be a dealbreaker if it's fine in every other way.

"Tucking in pocket flaps is stupid"

That seems like kind of a silly assertion floating in mid-air without any support. In what way is it 'stupid'? If UKyank buys this tuxedo and tucks the flaps in, he'll have a tuxedo that looks correct, in his size, within his budget. So what's stupid about it?

+1

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys just don't really get it Ralph Lauren for all his excursions into different styles
over the decades, comes out of the Ivy League (Trad) Style. In that world flap pockets,
vents, and even notched lapels are routinely found on Tuxes, including my Tux from
Paul Stuart. See the slection fromO'Connells:

http://www.oconnellsclothing.com/home.php?cat=435

Snaporaz

Reaction score

You guys just don't really get it Ralph Lauren for all his excursions into different styles
over the decades, comes out of the Ivy League (Trad) Style. In that world flap pockets,
vents, and even notched lapels are routinely found on Tuxes, including my Tux from
Paul Stuart. See the slection fromO'Connells:

http://www.oconnellsclothing.com/home.php?cat=435

I'm not sure the O'Connell's site is a good reference point. I clicked on the link and up popped a tuxedo with notched lapels and a selection of matching cummerbunds and ties in novelty patterns. Ugh.

The RL suit is quite stylish in its own way and seems like a bargain. It's length might date, however, and I'd question the pockets and vents, too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads