• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on this Theory Jacket

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dislike double-breasted jackets in general (notwithstanding peacoats) but yes I think they look poor with jeans.

That thing is pure cotton so it may wear out & lose its shape fast (it seems like there is already puckering around the pockets just from the photoshoot if not inherent to the construction) but if you like it, it wouldn't be hard to build a number of simple and appropriate looks out of it.

That said, I believe the consensus is that Theory is wildly overpriced for what it is, so I wouldn't buy it at full price. This is $350 and unlined, which means it's basically a button-up shirt plus a bit of fabric (for the DB overlap) and bigger buttons. Then again there are button-ups that cost way more than 350, so do as you will.

Poindexter

Reaction score
I can't get around the fact that it looks about three sizes too small for the model.

Poinz

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't tell if it's the way it's photographed, but it's a little overkill: shrunken (?), popped collar, double-breasted peacoat. It might look okay if he pulled the sleeves down and wore the collar as normal. Even so, $345 is pretty high!

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dislike DB, think that jacket is too short (though it's trendy, I think it makes things like this look poorly fitted), and dislike how the jacket looks like it wishes to be a peacoat, but is too lazy to get any heft.

In short, seems like something you would buy, really like for a few months, and then rarely wear again after realizing you either want a real peacoat, a real DB blazer, or a normal jacket with zipper.

Also, those sleeves are way too tight. I'm always wary of pictures where things like sleeves are pushed up; makes me think they're trying to hid something (either a too long or too tight design)

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do not engage.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
Do not engage.

stgen4.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads