1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on this suit?

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by jonng85, Sep 20, 2016.

1. jonng85

jonng85 Well-Known Member

Hi,

Need to replace my current suit (cheap OTR that I now realize doesn't fit me). I don't wear a suit at work very much at all (maybe like 10 - 15 times a year). I do usually attend like 3-4 weddings a year. Would this navy striped suit be ok for my usage or should I go for a more traditional solid charcoal/navy with a notched lapel? This will probably be my only suit since I don't think I wear suits enough to warrant having more than one.

. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

You'd be better off with a solid navy and notch lapel.

3. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

Traditionally, pinstriped suits are for work, not for social events. Solid suits could be worn for either purpose.

I won't tell you that everyone will gasp in shock upon seeing a wedding guest in a striped suit. It's definitely not a horribly offensive mistake. But all things being equal, it would be far preferable for you to choose a solid suit if you're not going to wearing it very often to work, and will be wearing it on social occasions.

Charcoal and navy are both perfectly fine choices. A notch lapel is the right way to go - ideally, with the lapels being of medium width. (In the first picture in your post, the lapels on the suit strike me as being excessively skinny.)