• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on this suit?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/1-495-NWT-Paul-S...QQcmdZViewItem

I have been looking for a similar suit for a while, kind of a black or dark navy suit with a sort of pinstripe that makes it look like alternating black/blue stripes, after seeing a suit like that once. I've never been able to find anything that similar, the closest has probably been a crepe blazer by Boss that I saw in Saks, but I would like something with a smooth fabric, I figured this might fit the bill, how is construction on the PS stuff?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
http://cgi.ebay.com/1-495-NWT-Paul-S...QQcmdZViewItem

I have been looking for a similar suit for a while, kind of a black or dark navy suit with a sort of pinstripe that makes it look like alternating black/blue stripes, after seeing a suit like that once. I've never been able to find anything that similar, the closest has probably been a crepe blazer by Boss that I saw in Saks, but I would like something with a smooth fabric, I figured this might fit the bill, how is construction on the PS stuff?

nice.

LegB4Wicket

Reaction score
drizzt3117,

That's a very good price for a new Paul Smith suit. They push close to $2000 Cdn at Holt Renfrew in Vancouver.

PS suits are not in the quality as Kiton, Brioni etc. but from what I've seen, they are better than 98% of the suits out there. Better than BOSS, about the same as Armani.

It will be difficult to find another off-the-rack suit with that type of pattern. If you like it and if it fits, I would suggest you take the plunge. I doubt it will last long on eBay at that price.

Best of luck,

LBW

mrchapel

Reaction score
That is a really beautiful suit. Love the pattern. I'd get in on it if I were you! Best of luck winning the auction.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a Paul Smith "London" line suit. So basically, it's crap, heavily fused. And notice the ugly keyhole shaped lapel buttonhole. Paul Smith London line has been consistantly declining in quality with each years, with price rising accordingly.
The cut is nice however.

!luc

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glue.

GMF

Reaction score
This suit looks like it was made by the same company that made my Claudia Wells suit. Very similar style and cut. If that's the case, as others have pointed out, it is a fused suit. But the construction is very good and the fabric is wonderful.

100770003639_01_01.jpg

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
$425 is a good price for a new PS London suit. Yes they are fused (mainline collection are full canvass) but I wouldnt say they are "crap" just because it's fused. They are definitely better made than most suits in the same level. I'm sure the fabric is great, as I've never seen bad PS suit material and of course, the fit will be tremendous.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
$425 is a good price for a new PS London suit. Yes they are fused (mainline collection are full canvass) but I wouldnt say they are "crap" just because it's fused. They are definitely better made than most suits in the same level. I'm sure the fabric is great, as I've never seen bad PS suit material and of course, the fit will be tremendous.
Sorry GetSmart, but the keyhole lapel is a big detract for me. These suits (the luxury line) are about 800 euros here. I really like the cut of Paul Smith suits, although I find the jackets to be a bit too long.

!luc

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
They were definitely cut a bit long the last few seasons. I noticed that some of this f/w line is a bit shorter and more in-line with my proportions. It sucks when one detail (like the keyhole) overwhelms one's distaste. I know I've shyed away from quite a few items that I loved except for one thing that bugged me so much I couldnt live with it.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
They were definitely cut a bit long the last few seasons. I noticed that some of this f/w line is a bit shorter and more in-line with my proportions. It sucks when one detail (like the keyhole) overwhelms one's distaste. I know I've shyed away from quite a few items that I loved except for one thing that bugged me so much I couldnt live with it.
yeah, small details which you are likely the only one to notice but are bugging you so much you just can't see anything else. I know the feeling
wink.gif

!luc

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel
Sorry GetSmart, but the keyhole lapel is a big detract for me. These suits (the luxury line) are about 800 euros here. I really like the cut of Paul Smith suits, although I find the jackets to be a bit too long.

!luc

Luc, I think we're about the same height and I do agree that most of Paul Smith's offering are definitely cut too long for us, however what fits, fits very well indeed.

Drizzt: Get the suit, it's an usual pattern, a nice cut and a good price. And fusing is the new black anyway
smile.gif

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check the measurements carefully; Paul Smith suits are cut very trim. In most makers I wear a 38L or 40L, but 42L in PS fits me.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, I wasn't talking about getting that exact suit on ebay, it's not in my size, but I figured I could track one down either on ebay or elsewhere.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads