• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

thoughts on this Suit Supply suit?

Rufian

Reaction score
I had bought a MTM online suit from another company which doesn't fit good and I'm returning for a refund. I got this SS Lazio slim fit 40R no alterations to the suit. I tried the 42R and it was too big. I had the pants shortened and the waist adjusted. The waist feels good, but plan on losing 5 to 10lbs and stay there so the waist may look better then. I prefer this narrow leg opening 7.5" and overall the more European slim fit style.

It's not perfect but is ten times better than the MTM suit I bought.

Attachments

• unnamed (5).jpg
    unnamed (5).jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 391
  • unnamed (6).jpg
    unnamed (6).jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 406
  • unnamed (7).jpg
    unnamed (7).jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 388
  • unnamed (8).jpg
    unnamed (8).jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 611

papa kot

Reaction score
First impressions: pants are a bit long.

After a detailed inspection: the fit seems to be okay. People will argue about the sleeve length. As I like mine on the shorter side, I probably would be content with what you have, but it is pushing it, IMHO. There is some pulling around the top button, but your weight loss aspirations may fix it. The pictures do not clearly show what's going on around your neck or the shoulders.

Look, in the sea of extremely ill fitted suits, most people will not notice some minor nuances. Without a doubt some forum members who have tailoring experience could probably point out a few points, but my suggestion is not to dwell on them.

Rufian

Reaction score
First impressions: pants are a bit long.

After a detailed inspection: the fit seems to be okay. People will argue about the sleeve length. As I like mine on the shorter side, I probably would be content with what you have, but it is pushing it, IMHO. There is some pulling around the top button, but your weight loss aspirations may fix it. The pictures do not clearly show what's going on around your neck or the shoulders.

Look, in the sea of extremely ill fitted suits, most people will not notice some minor nuances. Without a doubt some forum members who have tailoring experience could probably point out a few points, but my suggestion is not to dwell on them.

and I had the pants shortened at the store but I guess is a medium break? I don't mind the length and they can always be shortened half an inch maybe. The sleeves length. I think is ok. I read when you flex wrist upward, if your outer palm touches the jacket, the sleeves are too long. I barely touch the sleeves with outer palm. The sleeves can probably be let out a little? is that even possible?

The shoulders feel fine, the neck feels fine, if anything I'm going to get a bit smaller all around if I lose 10lbs. Yes the waist is also a bit on the snugglier side. My abdomen measurement at the belly button is like 37.5". I was 33" few years ago. I'm 173lbs and I was 160lbs couple of years ago.

The 42R was too big and alteration on that suit would probably have not resulted in a good fit. I also thought it would look even bigger once I drop to my ideal weight. I don't know. I feel if I lose 10lbs, this 40R will be a better fit than now. I was planning on losing weight anyway as I'm skinny fat.

I paid about $650 for the suit and a shirt with alterations to pants and shirt's waist. This is my limit and pushing it cause I was looking for $500 tops. I can't afford bespoke or true MTM in person which would probably be $1000+

Last edited:

notdos

Reaction score
It looks great. A few tweaks..

To loose in the collar.
1/2” longer sleeves.
1/2” shorter pant length.
1/2” more jacket button.

Just my .02

Phillip :)

Rufian

Reaction score
It looks great. A few tweaks..

To loose in the collar.
1/2” longer sleeves.
1/2” shorter pant length.
1/2” more jacket button.

Just my .02

Phillip :)

How can I achieve that? I don't understand the collar part. If you look at the third picture where I have my arms straight, the collar is sitting well on the shirt. Maybe this is an issue with the Suit Supply suits, they have bigger lapels or maybe is the shirt I have? I've tried different and this is the best fitting one. 38R is crazy small and 42R is too big.

but yeah I see what you mean now, the sides of the jacket collar are not touching the shirt collar, so there is a small white space, how can that be fixed?

Can the sleeves be let out half an inch?

What about the 1/2" more jacket button? Basically if you let out half an inch on sleeves, a button would have to be added?

Do you think my tie is too skinny for that lapel? That tie is 2.75 width, maybe a wider one would look better

This is the tie I have

Thanks

Last edited:

SS 376

Reaction score
I generally echo other's sentiments. I think you're looking good considering the jacket is wholly unaltered. Some thoughts:

First, the pants are too long, though not by much. Medium break is probably not what I would go for. The bunching up at the ankles looks a bit sloppy nowadays. I would shoot for slight break. If your tailor can't execute on that, I think there are others here that can find you a good one.

As others have pointed out, the lapel should be flush with your shirt collar. I think this is a matter of buttoning point but a good tailor should be able to address this.

I think the sleeves are actually fine. It could stand to be a little bit longer but I think it's fine as is.

On the tie, my personal opinion is that 2.75" is more appropriate for a narrow lapel and so is a little bit overwhelmed by that lapel. I'd try 3.25 to 3.5", as the Lazio has a full-sized lapel. Not sure what your tie budget is, but I would check our Buy & Sell section or TheRealReal for something other than what you listed.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That suit looks like it's a size too small.

I would also recommend getting trousers with a wider leg opening.

Rufian

Reaction score
That suit looks like it's a size too small.

I would also recommend getting trousers with a wider leg opening.

It was the best fitting one. 42R was just too big on the waist, chest, everywhere

It may look on the smaller side on the photos, I don't know but it feels good when I wear it and I'm not concerned as I plan on dropping 10lbs anyway

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It was the best fitting one. 42R was just too big on the waist, chest, everywhere

It may look on the smaller side on the photos, I don't know but it feels good when I wear it and I'm not concerned as I plan on dropping 10lbs anyway

A tailor such as Despos could say better, but I believe the chest is pulling away from you, and the collar floating away from the neck, not because the coat is too big, but because it's too tight.

I find that guys who are not used to wearing suits and sport coats often feel like the jacket is too big when it's actually just right. I think this is because they're used to wearing slim-fitting casual outerwear.

The sleeves on that coat are also much too short. I suspect many of the problems in that coat would go away if you just sized up.

Rufian

Reaction score
I generally echo other's sentiments. I think you're looking good considering the jacket is wholly unaltered. Some thoughts:

First, the pants are too long, though not by much. Medium break is probably not what I would go for. The bunching up at the ankles looks a bit sloppy nowadays. I would shoot for slight break. If your tailor can't execute on that, I think there are others here that can find you a good one.

As others have pointed out, the lapel should be flush with your shirt collar. I think this is a matter of buttoning point but a good tailor should be able to address this.

I think the sleeves are actually fine. It could stand to be a little bit longer but I think it's fine as is.

On the tie, my personal opinion is that 2.75" is more appropriate for a narrow lapel and so is a little bit overwhelmed by that lapel. I'd try 3.25 to 3.5", as the Lazio has a full-sized lapel. Not sure what your tie budget is, but I would check our Buy & Sell section or TheRealReal for something other than what you listed.

Yeah, I messed up on that, should've asked the tailor hem the pants a little more. The store is one hour away though, I can always go back there and have the tailor make adjustments as she already knows these suits and the style.

What adjustment would make the lapel be flush with the shirt collar. It seems to me Suit Supply buttons are on the higher side.

I just want a simple navy blue tie. I can pay up to $50 for one, but would rather pay less.

Rufian

Reaction score
A tailor such as Despos could say better, but I believe the chest is pulling away from you, and the collar floating away from the neck, not because the coat is too big, but because it's too tight.

I find that guys who are not used to wearing suits and sport coats often feel like the jacket is too big when it's actually just right. I think this is because they're used to wearing slim-fitting casual outerwear.

The sleeves on that coat are also much too short. I suspect many of the problems in that coat would go away if you just sized up.

I didn't like the way the 42R fit, it was just as baggy as my bad fitting MTM online suit I posted in other thread. I feel like this jacket will look better as I lose 10lbs as the chest and abdomen is where I hold all my fat. If I had gotten the 42R and with some alterations, it would be even baggier after my weight loss.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really wouldn't buy clothes banking on weight loss. Losing weight often remains aspirational or temporary.

You should also listen to what @dieworkwear and @Despos say - they know that they are talking about. The primary place you should be measuring the fit of a suit jacket is the collar and across the shoulders (and then length). Once it fits properly here, you have a foundation for everything else. Chest and waist can be relatively easily taken in by a good alterations tailor - and can be further altered if do you actually lose weight in a permanent way. But it's far more difficult to alter the collar / shoulders.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite style of coat for winter? Choose up to 3

• Peacoat

• Great coat

• Trench

• Mac

• Chesterfield

• Duffle coat

• Topcoat

• Shearling

• Balmacaan

• Parka