Thoughts on this sports watch

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rexthedestroyer, Sep 28, 2012.

1. rexthedestroyer

rexthedestroyer Senior member

Guys, I need your opinion on a sports watch for the weekends. I found the following watch on Seiya Japan's website for $579. However, on the actual brand website it runs for $450.

http://www.seiyajapan.com/c=hNqWYR9...ck-GW-4000D-1AJF-MULTI-BAND-6-JAPAN-MADE.html

Would this be a good buy? If not, give me some alternatives in that price range.

For background, I already have an Omega Speedmaster for evenings, and a Seiko Spirit blue dial for work.

2. jt10000

jt10000 Senior member

3. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

$578 bucks for a Casio! Wow!...think I must be out of touch these days. Not a pricing typo is it? That $17 Casio on Amazon is more like it.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012

4. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Over-priced...

5. Richie418

Richie418 Active Member

Though not a fan of the Casio you posted, I will say I ordered a Seiko Sarb from Seiya recently and I am very impressed with the workmanship of the Japan made watches. The finish, detail and quality far exceed the lower priced watches you find here in America.

6. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

How about a regular old digital G-shock if you want something like that? You can find them for around $90. It's just as functional, no uglier, nearly indestructible, and a heck of a lot cheaper.

7. xMaximex

xMaximex Well-Known Member

Personally, I would only wear the Speedmaster (don't know the exact model you have), since it is a sportwatch and it looks way better than any watch in the price range you suggested. I would get a dressier watch for evenings instead, as needed.

8. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Calling a Speedmaster a sports watch is like saying a cable knit tennis sweater is sportswear. It's just not true in this day and age.

9. Apollotrader

Apollotrader Senior member

Have another drink or go over to streetwear, a Speedmaster is one of the most classic sport watches extant. It's like saying a blue blazer is trendy.

10. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members
    The speedmaster is a nice watch, but a shitty choice for actual sports. When it was created - before the dawn of digital watches with pinpoint accuracy and features useful for interval training, mileage tracking, or keeping track of sexual conquests, etc. - it was a different story.

So, if the OP is after a "sport watch" that he can wear with a casual outfit - sure, a Speedmaster would be great (and preferable to a Seamaster [with the exception of the no longer producted Great White iteration]). If he is after something to use while actually playing something, it would be terrible.

11. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

It is clearly a classic sport watch, just as the sweater he described is classic sportswear. Also an abacus is a classic tool for computation, a quill is a classic writing implement, a horse is classic transportation and cow dung is a classic home heating fuel.

Now please excuse me as I classically chop down a tree with my classic axe and classic hand saw, in order to fuel my classic wood-burning stove to cook my classic Northeast American meal of unseasoned boiled root vegetables that I will eat in classically sober fashion while browsing the internet on my classic Apple IIe.

12. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members
    Mcbrown, you have real potential. I think we're going to get along just fine.

13. rexthedestroyer

rexthedestroyer Senior member

Wow, i guess I am just out of touch. I though (think) that this Casio is a beautiful watch. Now the price issue is bit more bothersome. I've had regular G-Shocks in the past, and they wre functional albeit clunky. The one i posted seems sleeker and nicer.

I'll have to reconsider. I'd love to find this watch somewhere for $300.

14. jt10000

jt10000 Senior member

This.

Get a good-looking cheap or mid-range (for the brand) Casio or Timex ($20-$100) if it's for actual sports.

15. Layered Player

Layered Player Senior member