• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on this one too??

oldskool

Reaction score
dscf03246ii.jpg
dscf03253ii.jpg
I think things will work... then I take them home... and they sit there...

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly think this one is a winner too. Picks up the stripe in the shirt quite nicely. Don't understand why you are having problems with either one of the two ties you've posted.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doesn't quite work for me. The tie's design makes it look a bit antiquated and rich, which doesn't cooperate with the more sharply contrasted pattern on the shirt. I would think the tie would work better with a white or off-white (ecru or something, or is it ercu? blargh) shirt. Doesn't mean you're stuck with combining this tie with solid shirts. Those two colors are just what you can look out for in any pattern for a more solid match.

The combination isn't bad, but I think there could be better.

Tom

Reaction score
This tie is not yellow. I think that you should play with the color wheel a bit more. But who am I to say?

-Tom

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Love the shirt; underwhelmed by the tie. I agree that they don't seem to be so complementary.

fkl118

Reaction score
It's a little hard to say without knowing your complexion, hair colour etc or what you're going to wear over it, but I think the shirt and tie look OK together.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Alias has the right analysis. There's something off in the match of textures. The tie needs a richer shirt.

Alex_O

Reaction score
I think if the yellow in the shirt was more subdued it could work. But as it stands I'm giving it a thumbs down. If you stick with the shirt why not look for a regimental pattern with some yellow? Anyone think this could work ? Or is it too much blue ?
mini_7b.jpg
Only small pic

bryce330

Reaction score
I love the tie but agree that it doesn't work with that shirt. I think it would look better with just a plain blue shirt since the gold and the yellow are not very close.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to nad shirt.

The tie is fade. I wouldn't were it.

jester

Reaction score
It seems in several recent posts, you've shown pictures of relatively bold colored shirts paired with self-patterned metallic ties. I don't think any of these work terribly well. The ties will look great when set off by a solid white shirt and a suit of either very dark shade or a roughly equivalent shade. The shirts will work with a lot of different ties--solids or subtle patterns of the sort you showed in your tie collection (not necessarily those colors, but I'm not looking back at it right now), strongly patterned ties that pick up a color of the shirts, etc.

But I just don't think these go well together. In the combos you're showing, nothing about the ties--their color, shade, pattern, or texture--really makes them appropriate for the shirts.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to nad shirt.

The tie is fade. I wouldn't were it.
Shirt it great. I don't like color or texture of tie. But then again, that's my relatively conservative tastes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads