Thoughts on this NWT RLPL on ebay, $1299

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manhappenin, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Manhappenin

Manhappenin Senior member

2. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

check the measurements against your BL suits. I wouldn't go by the size because RLPL and RLBL fit differently. A 40R in RLPL a was too big for mend even a 38R i would still have to get the waist taken in a bit but last time i tried on a 40R RLBL i couldn't even button the jacket.

3. Manhappenin

The listing says the pants are a 34. Can they be taken in to fit my relatively small waist without looking ridiculous? More generally, is this a good price?

4. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

A four inch reduction might be a but too much; ask one of the resident tailors on SF (isn't the consensus to not go more than 2 inches?)

As for the price, it's not bad. Ive seen RLPL suits go on the forum for about $800 to $1100. If you decide to go for it, email the seller and ask him if he'd be willing to knock off 10% if you bypass ebay and go through paypal directly.

5. Manhappenin

hhhhmmm.....I'm thinking about just buying it and taking my chances. He takes returns for 14 days. It'll just cost me domestic shipping. Might be worth it.

6. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

As another poster said, comparing RLBL to RLPL is like comparing apples to oranges. They are very different cuts.

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/Tutorials/AndrewHarrisEBayMeasurement.htm

Buy a $2 measuring tape in the shoe repair selection of your local pharmacy or grocery store. Then use this guide to get the measurements off a well-fitting suit. Remember this link because it's the best measuring guide on the internet.

7. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Also might want to check out Corneliani and Caruso. They make all of Ralph Lauren's tailored suits (Polo, RLPL, RLBL)

8. Manhappenin

Thank you. I have tried on a PL jacket in a 40S that fit very well. However, it was just a jacket and I have not tried on the pants. Also, it was my understanding that there are 2 (perhaps more) PL fits, one of which is slim. If it is the slimmer fit and the pants are fixable, I will likely move forward with this suit.

Putting on the PL jacket was the dumbest thing I've ever done. I now have 7 figure taste on a LOW 6 figure budget. Just annoying.

9. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

Just go with the measurements. Even if a 40s fit you before that doesn't necessarily mean that this particular one will even if it is the "slim fit model" they are all a bit different and each season they might vary a bit. As for the pants you can't take a 34 down to a 29 that is just too much. I mean you can but it will look awkward.