• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on this jacket

abc123

Reaction score
I purchased this purple label jacket on ebay today, and I was wondering if anyone might know anything about it. The pictures provided by the seller are a bit poor, and I can't even tell exactly what color it is. Anyone know what year it was made, or any other info? It was only $20 with shipping (very suprised that noone else bid), so if its a loser, its no big loss - a risk I was willing to take. Thanks in advance guys!
24fxt79.jpg

24fxted.jpg

24fxtkz.jpg

farooqm

Reaction score
looks like a subdued aquamarine, either way great buy!

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If it fits you then you've done very well indeed. Do you have a photo of the inside label. RLPL's were made in England and now are primarily made in Italy. Looks like your RLPL coat might be an orphaned suit coat, but so what. Does it have working sleeve button holes? Hard to tell whether yours is the Italian or English RLPL. Either way you've done great.

It's your good fortune that the seller didn't have a higher start price!

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would change the buttons to make look more "sportscoat" it would help for dressing with odd pants, but great price!

abc123

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
If it fits you then you've done very well indeed. Do you have a photo of the inside label. RLPL's were made in England and now are primarily made in Italy. Looks like your RLPL coat might be an orphaned suit coat, but so what. Does it have working sleeve button holes? Hard to tell whether yours is the Italian or English RLPL. Either way you've done great.

It's your good fortune that the seller didn't have a higher start price!

Its made in England, and a poster on AAAC believes it may be a Chester Barrie. What does this mean for quality? Fully canvassed?

Not sure about working sleeve buttons, I guess I'll just have to wait in anticipation for it to arrive.

In response to changing the buttons to make it more like a sport coat, what do you think would look good? Mother of pearl perhaps?

I'll be sure to post pics once I recieve it!

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by abc123

In response to changing the buttons to make it more like a sport coat, what do you think would look good? Mother of pearl perhaps?

Some brown horn buttons would look nice. Once you receive it you'll be able to judge better.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
didnt anyone notice? a single breast with buttonholes on both lapels. it may be a factory second. i m h o.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
didnt anyone notice? a single breast with buttonholes on both lapels. it may be a factory second. i m h o.

Yes, I noticed that but I've seen that on other RLPL's as well. I don't think it's a second. At $20 with shipping inc., who cares.

This seems to be a happy Ebay story!

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
Yes, I noticed that but I've seen that on other RLPL's as well.

Really? On a SB?

abc123

Reaction score
I forgot to put this picture up, which may clarify the purple label business. I'm still a bit doubtful that it will be any good, I guess I'm just wary of things that are too good to be true (PL for $20 seems to count for that). It does look nice though, and the condition seems fin, judging from the pictures. I also found the double lapel buttonholes a bit interesting.

Does anyone have any input on the canvassing situation? I would guess that all purple label is fully canvassed (for those retail prices, it had better be!), but I am not as informed on such matters as some of you are.

24fxrq0.jpg

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
Really? On a SB?

It might have seen it on a DB, now that I think about it. I think on the other Forum someone said this RLPL coat might have been a DB that's been tailored to a SB. Don't you think that's unlikely?

As to the canvassing, I've never heard of a RLPL that's not fully canvassed.

I also think it definitely has pocket flaps. I've seen RLPL coats both with and without working button holes so it might be either. It will be interesting to see about those button holes on both lapels!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads