• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Thoughts on this Coach Bag

norymeoreason41

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm in the market to upgrade my current everyday work bag. I really think I like this Coach bag, but I'm looking get some advice from the SF experts. What do you think about this bag:

It's called the Coach Transatlantic Large Commuter. Here is a link to the website:

http://www.coach.com/online/handbags...&tier=2&LOC=LN

Any comments are appreciated.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by norymeoreason41
Hey everyone, I'm in the market to upgrade my current everyday work bag. I really think I like this Coach bag, but I'm looking get some advice from the SF experts. What do you think about this bag:

It's called the Coach Transatlantic Large Commuter. Here is a link to the website:

http://www.coach.com/online/handbags...&tier=2&LOC=LN

Any comments are appreciated.

Not bad, certaintely not the best option, but if you ditch the strap it is ok. I would perfer a Tusting, or an SAB though.

viator

Reaction score
I have the version of this bag from about 2 years ago - it has changed slightly. I like it because it effectively straddles the line between a real briefcase and a more casual everyday bag. So if I'm wearing a suit and going to court, I carry it by the handles and it works very well. But on other days I use the shoulder strap and wear it crosswise like a messenger bag.

I also like the configuration. I find the pocket layout very handy for a book, papers, blackberry, iphone, sunglasses, earphones, pens, etc.

However, the leather is not the best quality. Not awful, but not great. I like the way the bag is aging in general but it has appeared to lose a bit of color where the bag rubs against my body (belt = offender?) and at the bottom corners. I guess given the looks that I really like, the layout, and the quality, I would say that it it just barely worth the $500, but I am sure others who are more knowledgeable will have other ideas.

norymeoreason41

Reaction score
Originally Posted by viator
I have the version of this bag from about 2 years ago - it has changed slightly. I like it because it effectively straddles the line between a real briefcase and a more casual everyday bag. So if I'm wearing a suit and going to court, I carry it by the handles and it works very well. But on other days I use the shoulder strap and wear it crosswise like a messenger bag.

I also like the configuration. I find the pocket layout very handy for a book, papers, blackberry, iphone, sunglasses, earphones, pens, etc.

However, the leather is not the best quality. Not awful, but not great. I like the way the bag is aging in general but it has appeared to lose a bit of color where the bag rubs against my body (belt = offender?) and at the bottom corners. I guess given the looks that I really like, the layout, and the quality, I would say that it it just barely worth the $500, but I am sure others who are more knowledgeable will have other ideas.

Oh, your comment about the leather worries me. $500 is about the max I would want to spend, but I want the best "bang for the buck."

Any other suggestions for something similar?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oh, your comment about the leather worries me. $500 is about the max I would want to spend, but I want the best "bang for the buck."

Any other suggestions for something similar?

I would look into Tusting.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it's OK.

I have the much older, made in the USA version of that exact same-look bag from Coach.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm browsing online. Nice looking stuff. Any preferred vendor in the US?

I bought straight from them. They can send you swatches and such too.

soxpats

Reaction score
I like my Hartmann, the Coach is nice as well.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One of my close friends bought one and I consider it a pretty solid bag for the price. Honestly you can't compare it to $2500 bags seen around this forum.

viator

Reaction score
Here's a (terrible iphone) photo of one of the top corners. I should note that the photo exaggerates the issue. It's really not as noticeable in real life

I misspoke earlier. I've had this bag for about a year as I returned two earlier ones for replacement that exhibited this same problem. Maybe I am being too harsh, but for $500 I wouldn't expect this to happen. The bag gets lexol or other conditioner every few months.

Other than that, though, I am happy with it.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For $500, how about the M&W traveler? Leather from Horween; should age beautifully.

Sazerac

Reaction score
When did Coach move their production abroad, and did that correspond with an overnight decrease in quality?

I have a coach dowel brief from about seventeen or eighteen years ago. I don't use it much anymore, but both the leather and the workmanship have held up to almost two decades of horrible abuse.

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not bad looking, but I think you could do better.

-LR

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.