• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts On This Business Casual Look

AlwaysDressed

Reaction score
Wore this to work one day on a whim. People seemed to love the look. This is way more casual than I usually go. I'd love to get your thoughts on this look. I also thought it might be inspiration for anyone looking for a way to keep the style factor up when dressing down.

Steve Madden Leather Jacket, Brooks Brothers V-neck Sweater Vest, Ralph Lauren blue and white check button down shirt, Ralph Lauren Khaki Dress Slacks, Ralph Lauren Square Snakeskin Aviators.

Comments welcome.

4240932755_abeb0751ce_o.jpg

Incman

Reaction score
I like the whole look minus the sunglasses.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Looks very sharp. I've done a similar look on a number of Fridays myself but I like your leather jacket better than the one I currently have.

Also, there's nothing wrong with a pair of aviators.

What type of shoes did you pair this with?

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with the above poster...like the look, dislike the sunglasses. The sunglasses scream bouncer, not business.

Also - how many times a day do people say that you look like Barry Bonds? I'll guess at least 4.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like it. Cool jacket. I like the specs, just maybe not for business.

MadisonAve

Reaction score
Are you in the army?
i wouldn't show to an office wearing that jacket and khakis.
but it's nice overall.

cahlersmeyer

Reaction score
I like the look minus the glasses, you look like you'd be in Top Gun with them on

borderline

Reaction score
OK, but the jacket and glasses are coming off when you get to work, right? Then it's just khakis, shirt, v-neck sweater. Which is fine, and looks great, but is hardly inspirational.

AlwaysDressed

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Actually, no one has ever told me that I look like Barry Bonds. I get Lovie Smith and Tony Guinn a lot though.

AlwaysDressed

Reaction score
Yeah, you're right the Jacket and Glasses do come off when I get to work...but that day I kept the jacket on for about 10 minutes after I arrived while getting coffee, making small talk etc. And don't forget that there is also a lunch hour where me and about 4 of my co-workers walk up to the West Village in uptown Dallas as well. So I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the jacket and sunglasses as irrelevant once you get to work. Every person has their own unique situation and mine is one where I get a little more mileage out of what I wear on a daily basis.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlwaysDressed
These are the shoes I wore with this outfit.

4238342174_fb8b4c2c23.jpg

Very nice! I need to pick up a pair like that.

As for the idea that once he takes off the jacket and sunglasses it's JUST khakis, shirt, v-neck sweater, that's ridiculous.

First of all, he's wearing a khaki colored pair of dress slacks, they're not khakis like Dockers or even Bill's.

Secondly, apparently you guys all must work with people who dress much better than anywhere I've ever been. Have you even looked at what most people consider business casual?

Wearing a dress shirt, v-neck sweater, dress slacks and sharp looking suede shoes puts him well above the average guy who's in a golf shirt, dockers and some crappy looking Ecco shoes.

AlwaysDressed

Reaction score
You asked if I'm in the Army...The answer is no, but I'm not quite sure what you're getting at there. I assume you're saying the jacket looks Military-ish. I think that's why I personally liked this look because of its military/aviator feel. After all, Ralph Lauren himself uses military apparel as inspiration for lots of the pieces in his line so I think its pretty accepted to wear a military inspired look. But hey, that's why I posted this thread...to get other peoples perspectives on what they think. Thanks for the reply.

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking really good. Have you tried flat-front trousers? Those pleats are adding some visual bulk and age.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks good, but not that much different than many business casual looks I see - khakis, blue shirt and sweater. As you say I guess it's the jacket (which I like) that sets it apart. What do you usually wear?

I second the notion of flat front pants.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads