• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on this belvest suit?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
anyone familiar with the seller or this particular model? Any idea when it was made?

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boyd's is a good Philadelphia store that had a nice selection of Belvest suits the last time I was there. However in the description, it's a single-vented suit? Odd, I've only seen ventless and double-vented Belvest.

koji

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The seller seems odd to me, albeit w/ 100% feedback. In the opening line of his introduction he advises you that his is a Christian Owned Business. A paragraph or so later, he issues a Stern Warning against bogus bidders & troublemakers, kind of eye for an eye, Old Testament type of stuff. Definitely not kinder & gentler. Plus the grammar & spelling are akin to someone for whom English is not the primary language. Anyone care to wager a guess as to who this fellow's voting for come November (if in fact he meets voter qualifications)?
As for the suit, I'm afraid I have nothing to offer.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JL - So... Christian owned is bad? LOL, stick to Chinese made garments then since there is a bit of a slant toward that whole Christianity fad in Italy these days. Those radicals even built some churches there.

Might I make a polite request that we leave out the derisive references to Christians on the board... please? I'd be equally offended by slams on your religion or lack thereof since it is as irrelevant as it is inappropriate on a clothing forum. Thou shalt not flamebait.

BTW - if you ebay for a while it gets old to have someone bid $1000 on something and then not pay when you had 5 good bids behind the deadbeat and there is little the seller can do when screwed in that fashion - it would pertub you if you owned a business when people not only did not pay but prevented willing customers from doing so.

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AJL - So... Christian owned is bad? Â LOL, stick to Chinese made garments then since there is a bit of a slant toward that whole Christianity fad in Italy these days. Â Those radicals even built some churches there. Might I make a polite request that we leave out the derisive references to Christians on the board... please? Â I'd be equally offended by slams on your religion or lack thereof since it is as irrelevant as it is inappropriate on a clothing forum. Â Thou shalt not flamebait. BTW - if you ebay for a while it gets old to have someone bid $1000 on something and then not pay when you had 5 good bids behind the deadbeat and there is little the seller can do when screwed in that fashion - it would pertub you if you owned a business when people not only did not pay but prevented willing customers from doing so.
Carlo (chuck?...also the name my father Charles goes by), No offense intended and no, Christian owned is not bad, and neither is Muslim or Jewish owned, etc. To each their own. I just found it ironic that the fellow made it a point to mention the business is Christian owned on the one hand, and yet is so aggressive in speaking to would-be ne'er-do-wells on the other. I suppose in my naive and even stereotyping way I associate "Christian" with good fellowship and kindness, and this admonition seems anything but. At any rate it was not my intention to slander Christianity in general, merely to cite this particular individual and what I perceive to be an odd inconsistency in the tenor and content of his presentation. Fact is, were Christianity not even to be mentioned here, I would still take issue with the sternness of tone, and the rather poor overall presentation. I guess that's just good old-fashioned elitism
lookaround.gif
Again, no offense intended. Regards, AJL

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pardon my thin skin this morning, long week :)

...I see what you are saying too.

Hmmm... maybe I oughtta put "cranky old fart in the morning owned business" in my ads :)

Cranky old fart Chuck

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thought the "warning" was a little bit weird as well, but oh well, I can understand not liking non-paying bidders also. The suit's measurements appears to be spot on perfect for me, so I will try it.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
received this item too, pretty much a perfect fit. It is single vented though. Wonder when it dates from.

friendlyone

Reaction score
Just a guess, but suits with that sort of fabric and two buttons were popular in the early 1990s.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads