• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on this 3 button suit?

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From the looks of it. The jacket appears to be a 3 roll 2.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
looks like 3r2, but still, the middle button looks wayyy too high.. barely below solar plexus

citizenshame

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trompe le Monde
looks like 3r2, but still, the middle button looks wayyy too high.. barely below solar plexus

Do you think it hurts the look of the suit, or somehow makes it dated?

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That suit could really use a press to a true 3R2. At the moment, it's going to create a weird dimension from the side that is typically very unflattering to your shilouette. Something along these lines :
Grey_PRL_1.jpg
or
6a00d83455d78069e20133f5c2d735970b-320wi
Ideally, it should look like a 2 button suit, but with an extra buttonhole and button on top of it. As it is, it's a true 3 and it is way too high.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Try it on.

As I said on the other thread all my jackets are true three buttons. The ones that fit best have the top button buttoning right at the sternum. Any higher than that and they look like they are strangling you.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That suit doesn't look like it can be 'pressed' to a 3r2. Most 3 button suits cannot; the canvas is cut and the bridal tape is positioned to define the roll when the suit is made.

svd

Reaction score
Look how high that chest pocket is. The balance of the jacket looks odd to me.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by citizenshame
Does the jacket close up too high? I'm looking for a conservative suit for work....

28HFs.jpg

OP - This is how you include an image.

Green Lantern

Reaction score
imho british cut top buttons close high with button spacing being farther apart. Italian 3r2 close lower as the button placements are closer to each other. Brioni and Battistoni are 3r2's that are prime examples of the narrower Italian button spacing. However, the top button is never to be closed unless the wearer is closing up due to the elements and in such case is scarfed as well. With top button closed and scarf in place you would be less inclined to say the top button is placed too high. I believe the difference in climes dictated the button placements between British and European cuts.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by citizenshame
Does the jacket close up too high? I'm looking for a conservative suit for work....

http://i.imgur.com/28HFs.jpg

Yes it does close a bit high. But it is a Conservative
Suit that otherwise looks very good to me. I think
the shoulders are especially well cut. It's fine for
work.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was considering this very suit in my size (seller has several in diff sizes) but gave it a miss due to the button placement. I never noticed the button placement till someone pointed it out to me on SF but thereafter couldnt get over it
28HFs.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads