• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on These Watches

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

My first bonus check has just come, and I am looking to potentially replace the watch I received as a high school graduation gift. After reading a lot of the posts here and elsewhere on watches, I've decided on a black leather band (Makes sense as I wear a tie at least 6 days a week during most of the year), and from what I've read, Longines offers good quality for the price, which alas is still an object. I found these models on amazon.com from various watch distributors.

http://www.amazon.com/Longines-Watch...UTF8&s=jewelry

This one is simple and elegant, but I am bothered by the lack of a second hand.

Not sure how I feel about the black circle on this thing.

http://www.amazon.com/Longines-Prest...UTF8&s=jewelry

Beautiful IMO, but I can't stand the thought of wearing gold on my very light skin with red undertones. I just feel the color would be wrong, but having said that, at least it's not a gold band, so maybe it wouldn't be terrible?

Was thinking about a rectangular shape as I feel it might better compliment my relatively thin wrists due to its ability to take up less space. This might have a bit much going on for a dress watch, though.

This one's simpler, but I'm not sure how I feel about the look at the 12 numerals. I'm used to round watches where everything is equidistant, and I get that with a rectangular watch, this will not happen, but I can't help thinking a numeral at the 12 and simple markings everywhere else might be more elegant.

Well, as you've probably guessed, I am way too picky about things like this, but I guess I feel that if I'm wearing it every day, I should be picky. I suppose I'm just looking for some thoughts and opinions/experience from people who tend to have good taste. Thanks.

WSW

Reaction score
Out of the ones you listed, I would choose the first one. It is the most classic out of all the ones you listed. The lack of a second hand is not a problem if you are going to be using it as a dress watch. Dress watches should be as simple as possible. What is your price ceiling? I think it might be possible to get a pre-owned Omega DeVille for about 1 thousand. Omegas would be an upgrade on Longines. Better movement, finishing, and design.

PuppetBoy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by archibaldleach
...I've decided on a black leather band (Makes sense as I wear a tie at least 6 days a week during most of the year
Are you also wearing black shoes every day?

masqueofhastur

Reaction score
Originally Posted by WSW
Out of the ones you listed, I would choose the first one. It is the most classic out of all the ones you listed. The lack of a second hand is not a problem if you are going to be using it as a dress watch. Dress watches should be as simple as possible.
What is your price ceiling? I think it might be possible to get a pre-owned Omega DeVille for about 1 thousand. Omegas would be an upgrade on Longines. Better movement, finishing, and design.

Unlikely for Omega to have a better movement than a Longines, as most Omegas have the same movement as in Tissots. The only time you're going to get a better movement with an Omega is with a CoAxial, and that's in the $3000 range, and being a recent addition you're unlikely to find one for cheap.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The first one is my favourite

WSW

Reaction score
Originally Posted by masqueofhastur
Unlikely for Omega to have a better movement than a Longines, as most Omegas have the same movement as in Tissots. The only time you're going to get a better movement with an Omega is with a CoAxial, and that's in the $3000 range, and being a recent addition you're unlikely to find one for cheap.

That's news to me. Thanks for the information!

mikeber

Reaction score
Originally Posted by WSW
Out of the ones you listed, I would choose the first one. It is the most classic out of all the ones you listed. The lack of a second hand is not a problem if you are going to be using it as a dress watch. Dress watches should be as simple as possible.
What is your price ceiling? I think it might be possible to get a pre-owned Omega DeVille for about 1 thousand. Omegas would be an upgrade on Longines. Better movement, finishing, and design.

I second that.
There are other watch brands you may want to consider. Do not limit yourself to Longines only. Check these as well:

1) Oris
2) Sinn
3) http://www.watchbuys.com/images/Limes112ArabWhite.JPG
4) http://www.watchbuys.com/images/Nomo...AlphaBlack.jpg

WSW

Reaction score
Seiko is another possibility. They are underrated, but do some nice work.

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I second the suggestion that you look at Oris for new watches, though a mechanical Longines is a solid choice.

Vintage watches are also a class act, although they come with some uncertainty. I own two vintage Omegas that are fantastic and regularly receive complements.

I like the Longines DolceVita line (and considered buying one), but would only purchase an automatic version -- IMO it is a shame that the company even produces the same line in quartz and automatic movements.

A watch is a true investment and one piece that you'll likely wear day in and out (that is until you start collecting them ... in which case you'll start rotating your watches). I encourage you to try on the watches at a retail outlet, and doing a little research to determine how much you are paying for the movement vs. the brand. Then buy what you truly want and love (even if you have to save up for it a bit more) -- you should love your watch without reservation!

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, there's definitely a lot out there that I hadn't considered. Thanks for all the input and suggestions. A lot of these are beautiful.

Another question while I'm on the watch topic. My wrists are relatively thin (circumfrence is 7 inches), so I'm considering how thick of a watch I can afford to get without making my shirt cuffs be overly different in size. Thoughts?

Edit: Yes, I'll be wearing black shoes pretty much every day. I know I may catch some flak for that here, but I think a well worn black shoe offers a timeless elegance. Plus, I'm a city dweller and I think brown makes a lot more sense in the country.

mikeber

Reaction score
Originally Posted by archibaldleach
Another question while I'm on the watch topic. My wrists are relatively thin (circumfrence is 7 inches), so I'm considering how thick of a watch I can afford to get without making my shirt cuffs be overly different in size. Thoughts?

Today's watches are on the larger side, but Sinn, Limes, and other German brands offer watches relatively moderate in size. You should look at the 36-40mm diameter range. Walk into stores and try them before you buy. Thickness, shape and bracelet also play a role.
Even Seiko (yes, Seiko) offers watches in moderate sizes and they are very well made for their price. Most people associate Seiko with low end mass produced watches. Nothing is farther from truth. Take a look at Seikos in the $4K-10K, range. They are happy to compare them to Rolexs and are CONFIDENT that theirs are better:
http://www.seiko-watch.co.jp/gs/index.html
http://www.credor.com/lineup/index.html
Of course, these watches are way above your price range. Just wanted to show that there is much more in the watch world than most people know.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads