• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on these suits and the pricing?

kennuth

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm new here but I'm hoping to get some advice on the following two suits that I found on ebay. I'm about 5'7 and 150 lbs - relatively fit. a 38s Jacket is perfect for me and I normally wear a 30x30 pant size. What do you think of the quality of the suits and are they worth the pricing?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190978559207?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190998163759?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Thanks so much in advance!

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Armani is not worth the price IMO. Outdated style (low gorge lapels, unvented). Plus you could do a lot better for $299 used

2nd suit is okay style wise (I think it's a three-roll-two or three-2.5 when the top is unbuttoned). But again too expensive for a used suit

kennuth

Reaction score
Yeah, that's pretty much what I figured. Thanks JRD! I'll have to keep searching for a good second hand suit at a good price.

Wayward

Reaction score
When you say "a 38s Jacket is perfect for me" the alarms in my head go off. Suit size in and of itself is meaningless because it only tells you what the designer thinks someone with a size 38 chest looks like. If you browse around the Buy and Sell forums here you'll quickly notice that most suits and jackets have extensive measurements. That gives you a lot more details than just the chest size. Hell, even 2 suits labeled "38s" can differ on the actual chest measurements, depending on how fitted it is designed to be.

Case in point, notice that the Armani's shoulders are 19.5 inches across, while the RLPL is only 18.5 inches. 19.5 is crazy wide for a 38 suit, which signifies that, as JRD had pointed out, this suit is REALLY old, likely in the 80s when that was the look. Or, see that the RLPL has functional buttonholes on its sleeves, which means to lengthen or shorten them would be crazy expensive unless you don't mind the buttons being too close to or too far from the sleeve.

Also, why are you looking at black suits?

Those are just some examples. I'm merely making a point that "a 38s Jacket is perfect for me" means very little, unless they correspond to measurements on jackets that you think are perfect for you. Keep reading the forums, and I assure you there is no turning back (for better or for worse).

Welcome.

kennuth

Reaction score
Thanks Wayward! I'm new here and have a lot to learn. In hind sight, it was silly to make a statement such as "a 38s Jacket is perfect for me" - still need to learn.

I'll check out the buy and sell sections and try to match according to my measurements. Any recommendations on who to go to for measurements? I figure I could always go to a local mens warehouse or a department store but I can't imagine them taking the time to measure me without me making a commitment to buying a suit from them.

Wayward

Reaction score
Careful, it's not about matching YOUR measurements; it's about matching your CLOTHING's measurements. In other words, if you measure 38" around the chest, you're not buying a jacket that also measures 38" across, because then there'd literally be no room for movement. Even dress shirts can't be exactly the same (unless it's a superhero costume). What I meant was, measure your best fitting clothes and compare them to things you see or find. A good guide many members use is here:

http://askandyaboutclothes.com/clothing/style-tips/how-to-measure-a-jacket

Honestly, the best way to start is buy yourself a measuring tape, and explore brick and mortar stores. Go try things on, and if you find something that looks good, measure it on the spot and note them down. Once you start doing more and more, you'll start to understand what works for you. Then, you'll have a good idea of the range of sizes that'll work for your body type. For example, I know that I can wear a suit roughly 18-19 inches across the shoulders, no more no less, and chest size 42-43 inches. Outside of those ranges and I won't consider them. Don't try to buy anything online until you're comfortable, and even then it doesn't always work out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads