• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on these shoes?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fuji
Not really, what else would you call it? A closed laced shoe?

If you're British, call it oxfords, if you're American, call it balmorals. If in doubt, call it balmorals, and people will not get confused.

sweisman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
This has to be a troll or a joke. I have a hard time believing that anyone, no matter how inexperienced with quality footwear, would take a look at those beaten-up, run-ragged old shoes and even consider the possibility that they are acceptable.

Useless, smartass responses, like calling someone a troll when they are looking for simple advice, like this one and other newer members in this thread...DrHuh? and 69 Clyde for example, have definitely taken the fun and class out of SF. The maturity level seems to be bottoming out around here. The guy was just looking for simple advice. You used to be able to get that around here without all of the BS.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by balaskonis
those shoes are for Dress down days....for example, if i wear a pair of navy blue khaki (light cotton) pants, a button down shirt (no tie)...that was it ...the other days are more dressy days, wehre i wuold look into nicer lokoing shoes.

the jvarvatos are just for laid back look, that's all.

I'm afraid your idea of a "laid back look" is the equivalent of my (and many others here) idea of a "bad look". That's the whole problem.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by balaskonis
guys

i appreciate the feedback, whether it was positive/negative but i was serious
the shoes are john varvatos, renwick oxfords, i had been looking for them for a while but finally found them for $200. before buying them i valued your opinions.

i am a high school teacher, and i was thinking these would go well with cotton pants, i.e. stone/khaki, lighter brown, or navy cotton pants. an inspiration was justin long in gq last year, as i believe those are the shoes he's wearing. it says john varvatos.

i plan on spending a total of 750-1000 on something for khakis, black shoes for wool pants days, shirt and tie, etc., and maybe a nice pair of chocolate brown wingtip balmoral oxfords for navy wool pants, shirt tie, etc.

if i'm wrong, that's fine, but this wasn't a joke. i guess i need additional help.

paul

Paul,

While i dont think they work well, all things considered, they're much better then the majority of the stuff i see teachers wear.

If you want something that fits the purpose better then those consider Alden, Ralph Lauren, and Crockett and jones.

The RL stuff is great because its all high quality, and you can buy them at a pretty significant discount toward the end of the season, while Alden rarely discounts.

I'd pick up a couple pairs of Loafers, a pair of brown lace ups and a pair of wingtips, and call it a day. Make sure you also pick up some Shoe trees to keep your shoes nice, a horse hair brush, and brown shoe cream.

Thats about all you'll need to keep your shoes nice and have them last you a good 10 years.

You'll be regretting those varvatos in no time flat, I have some 'fashion forward' shoes, some of which i bought full price ($450) that i use as my rainy day shoes now because i find them a bit too much.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Paul,

While i dont think they work well, all things considered, they're much better then the majority of the stuff i see teachers wear.

If you want something that fits the purpose better then those consider Alden, Ralph Lauren, and Crockett and jones.

The RL stuff is great because its all high quality, and you can buy them at a pretty significant discount toward the end of the season, while Alden rarely discounts.

I'd pick up a couple pairs of Loafers, a pair of brown lace ups and a pair of wingtips, and call it a day. Make sure you also pick up some Shoe trees to keep your shoes nice, a horse hair brush, and brown shoe cream.

Thats about all you'll need to keep your shoes nice and have them last you a good 10 years.

You'll be regretting those varvatos in no time flat, I have some 'fashion forward' shoes, some of which i bought full price ($450) that i use as my rainy day shoes now because i find them a bit too much.

+1. Especially this is from a guy that's not at all conservative like many here.

vezatron

Reaction score
These shoes still seem better than 95% of what my male teachers in high school wore. With some jeans or chinos they would be fine.

Billbeme

Reaction score
sorry i'm not down with the lingo...i've been trying to learn. i'm just looking for suggestions to simple questions...yet everyone seems to be ripping me here. just forget it, i'll look for different shoes.
Useless, smartass responses, like calling someone a troll when they are looking for simple advice, like this one and other newer members in this thread...DrHuh? and 69 Clyde for example, have definitely taken the fun and class out of SF. The maturity level seems to be bottoming out around here. The guy was just looking for simple advice. You used to be able to get that around here without all of the BS.
This thread was shocking. I am new to SF and have had a good response from the members. I was interested in this thread for the same reason as the OP and could have been just as likely to ask the same question. I have just been lucky enough to not be the one to be ridiculed as this individual was. Everyone starts from square-one. No one is born with a silver spoon in their mouth nor Allen Edmonds/Aldens on their feet. More knowledgeable would do well to remember that.

sii1981

Reaction score
woah! i didnt expect people to be so harsh about those shoes, now i feel bad about making a joke about them being from a skip, its just that artificial distressing of clothing is one of my pet hates, i did say they could look ok with old jeans or khaki, but may-be not the look for a teacher. for a dressed down look you can try sebago or timberland deck shoes, it comes in many colours, is comfortable and well, will look good combo with jeans or cotton pants. shorts too(if the moods takes ya)

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ +1 . Good for the summer and a relaxed look.

balaskonis

Reaction score
after reading all the posts, i felt the need to post again, as i was really surprised with the feedback...whether it was positive/negative.

i've asked questions here before that have been answered respectfully, and this question was asked solely in the sense that i go casual on Fridays when I teach, whether it's a nice pair of thin cotton pants (khakis/navys/browns/stone...whatever), and I don't want to wear obviously shiny high falutin' ferragamos or something as they would clash. the cotton pants are nice pants, from prorsum to hugo red to borelli, etc. the hem openings are about 8 inches so these aren't pants that just flip and flop around the shoe.

the shoes i asked about ARE leather, not SUEDE as some of you have presumed. yes they are fashion forward, with the floating toe look, but i figured with a tailored button down or something along those lines with a skinnier tie, rolled up sleeves, that those shoes would be nice for that look, or "Dress Down Fridays"

if i was wrong, that's fine, you're welcome to voice your opinion, but as one poster said, some of us don't have the money to go get john lobb, ferragamo, church's, ballys, AE, barker black, whatever. the point is i felt i could get those for a good price at $200, they're made well from what i understand and i can get some good years out of them. if you can suggest something of the oxford type (lace up) that would go well with what i'm describing, that would be great.

from what i gather...would these work? (despite the price tag)

again, the look i wanted was something like justin long in the attached picture...which i thought were the shoes i initially asked about.

for what it's worth, the school year is done in 4 weeks, so i'll keep what i have, and continue to look around. some of your comments made me laugh, but some of you have to step down from your high horse. if could dress like Neil Patrick Harris everyday, i'd be in heaven, but i can't.

and lastly for those of you who think i'm trying to impress hs students, come on now. i'm doing this b/c i feel better when i look better. typical teachers at my school wear pleated khaki pants that look like parachute pants, with driving loafers by alfani that were 30 bucks at macy's, huge billowing button downs and ties from 1995.

thanks for reading this
paul

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have several pairs of Varvatos shoes. Obviously, they were pre-sf purchases. I regret it deeply, especially since I can get C&J and some other better quality brand shoes at a cheaper price.

OP: the biggest reason you should not buy JV shoes is because the quality is lacking. $400 vs. the quality = not worth it. You can buy almost the same shoe with better quality from other manufacturers.

yarnsforth

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xiaogou
OP: the biggest reason you should not buy JV shoes is because the quality is lacking. $400 vs. the quality = not worth it.

+1; beware of JV boots - my JV chukkas' uppers started separating from the lowers within a week of purchase/wearing. I used some Barge cement to hold them together and wear them as my mud shoes now.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The main problem attached with the concept itself of asking a question about taste remains the ability to accept the different responses coming our way...
You 're an intelligent man and you most likely anticipated the nature of the responses to such question on a quite conservative sartorial website such as Style Forum..
I'm sorry if some answers did sound patronizing or insulting , but I did genuinely thought it was a wind-up, not being myself au fait with Varvatos models..
Style forum is a witty and very prone to irony or sarcasms..

Trendy Sing Sing

Reaction score
I find that a cool, well dressed teacher tends to motivate students more, so I appreciate that you're trying. I recommend this alot, but Johnson and Murphy is the way I would go for around $200. Oh, and thanks for mentioning NPH, I ******* love that guy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads