• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

thoughts on these brands

Reaction score
I don't know much about suits, thinking about picking up a MTM; a local place offers these brands: Armani Collezioni, Ermenegildo Zegna, Canali, Tom Ford and Isaia. thoughts on the brands?

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really depends on what your taste, desired cut/style, and so on will support. Don't touch Tom Ford unless you want to be hyper-fashion-forward, at least in real-world terms. It is, however, possibly the highest quality of the options. I wouldn't recommend the Armani Collezioni either (it's a secondary line not made as well) - you'll be better off sticking with the Zegna, Canali and Isaia depending on what your style and body type are. Isaia MTM supposedly has a lot of options, though I've read less about it. FWIW Isaia in general is better quality than anything else offered at your store other than Thom Browne. Don't know how much that matters to you. As regards Canali and Zegna's MTM programs, you may want to read this thread to educate yourself: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?p=3523117

Reaction score
but if you were to recommend something to someone who has little understanding of style, but likes how he looks in a suit, and could use a new one, and has some change he could drop?

Larson McCord

Reaction score
Originally Posted by No reservations
but if you were to recommend something to someone who has little understanding of style, but likes how he looks in a suit, and could use a new one, and has some change he could drop?

All are excellent brands, try them on and pick which one you think fits/looks best.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Butter
Don't trust most sales associates.
^ With respect, this is slightly harsh advice. A neophyte customer will be easily spotted by a seasoned salesperson, good or bad. Equally, a neophyte may become very easily intimidated in a high end store, simply because they don't know what they are doing. The OP should qualify himself by doing some homework first on these brands and on suit construction in general. Only then would he be better able to tell a good salesperson from a bad one. For the most part I would be very suprised to see a bad or under-qualified selling high end. Though it does happen, it would not be in any stores best interests to keep bad people on staff. If the need is not urgent, then invest some time into learning. This will be very helpful to you later. Browse during slower store hours. Sales staff will have more time to spend with you. When approached by staff, state that you are browsing at present and are acquainting yourself with the brands and prices. Ask if the salesperson is on comission. If they are, ask for their card. If they are knowledgeable and pleseant, build a relationship with them and deal only with them. Plan future visits with them by phoning ahead to make sure they are there before you come. A good sales person will take time with you and sincerely want to help you, knowing that if they satisfy your needs, you'll be back for more business in future. Armani Collezioni, Ermenegildo Zegna, Canali are all good brands, and even better when you find a good clearance outlet. Of those three, I would place Zegna at the top, then Canali, then Armani Collezioni. Tom Ford, I'll leave to others. I don't own any Ford.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think this really depends on your job, and current style. But to offer opinions :

Tom Ford - flashy, slim, wealthy-ish 25-35
Armani Collezioni - not body conscious, sedate 40-50
Canali - Slightly forward thinking Italian style 35-45
Zegna (mainline, not XXX) - everyone really
Isaia - quality nut, 35-50ish

IMHO

Reaction score
so Zegna? what lines exist? what should I be looking for? Eris has deemed my budget to be $12000, is this enough.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
See if any store in your area offers Belvest. I own both Belvest and Isaia.
I would give Belvest a slight edge.

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
I think this really depends on your job, and current style. But to offer opinions :

Tom Ford - flashy, slim, wealthy-ish 25-35
Armani Collezioni - not body conscious, sedate 40-50
Canali - Slightly forward thinking Italian style 35-45
Zegna (mainline, not XXX) - everyone really
Isaia - quality nut, 35-50ish

IMHO

spoo, i am a bit surprised that you would describe canali as slightly forward. i think this is more applicable to isaia, whose cuts and fabrics are both a tad more aggressive than canali's. i see canali as very safe.

doesn't take away from the isaia quality nut aspect, which i completely agree with.

agree with the rest.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OttoSkadelig
spoo, i am a bit surprised that you would describe canali as slightly forward. i think this is more applicable to isaia, whose cuts and fabrics are both a tad more aggressive than canali's. i see canali as very safe.

doesn't take away from the isaia quality nut aspect, which i completely agree with.

agree with the rest.

Well, recent Canali that I see being worn is by a different group of Canali wearers, say, 15 years ago. Isaia is of course way more aggressive, but the people wearing it are a whole different group. Does that make sense? Ive been drinking Jagermeister LOL

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads