• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on these Bostonian shoes? ...

cmeisenzahl

Reaction score
Looking for a 2nd or backup pair of shoes when I want to rest my AEs (every other day), etc. These are all under $130 (perhaps even cheaper online or ebay) or so and seem like decent deals. Do you find anything particularly good or bad about them? Anything I should know about the brand? I know they're not Alden or Lobb, but they seem decent for the money. Some have leather soles, and claim to be made in Italy? Thanks again, guys!! ;-) Whately
1396-647738-2.jpg
1396-647738-p.jpg
Freemont
827-370329-2.jpg
827-370329-p.jpg
Akron
3034-1250-2.jpg
3034-1250-p.jpg

nonissue

Reaction score
freemont actually looks decent, the other two look bleh.

but yah, better shoes for marginally more money (or the same money) in this category.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they are NOT decent for the money, especially the Italian ones.

It's a dead market right now, for chrissakes do some work. You can easily get rebranded crockett and jones for $150, something like Grensons, AE for $100 right now. Get off your ass. And get thee ass off zappos.

Style Pontifex

Reaction score
I have not had good fortune with Bostonians in terms of comfort or durability. The leather also seems cheap. Some models look attractive, but appearances can be deceiving.

cmeisenzahl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
they are NOT decent for the money, especially the Italian ones.
It's a dead market right now, for chrissakes do some work. You can easily get rebranded crockett and jones for $150, something like Grensons, AE for $100 right now. Get off your ass. And get thee ass off zappos.

Tarmac, thanks! Any pointers for specific places to look? I had no idea C&J were rebranded by anyone. Where can they be found?

Thanks again, Chris.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
look for dress shoes sold under the Polo Ralph Lauren label. They use a variety of makers but they are all decent, at least worth $200 and they routinely sell in the $100 range on ebay.

Falstaff

Reaction score
I own a pair of Bostonians very similar to the ones you are considering. They are basically junk. The quality of the leather is poor and they are very uncomfortable. I bought mine for around $90 and now consider that far too much to pay for a shoe of this quality.

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+12 Pile of shiny junk coated in glue.

Hyped31

Reaction score
Sorry to hi jack the threat but two quick questions...

What are your opinions on Cole Haan shoes and Adam Derrick shoes

1. Are Cole Haan shoes considered cheap in the Manhattan business world>

2. Are Adam Derrick shoes worth the price.

Thanks

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please post question in proper thread: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=105951
Originally Posted by Hyped31
Sorry to hi jack the threat but two quick questions... What are your opinions on Cole Haan shoes and Adam Derrick shoes 1. Are Cole Haan shoes considered cheap in the Manhattan business world> 2. Are Adam Derrick shoes worth the price. Thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads