• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on these boots?

ElDave

Reaction score
Gents, I'm looking for some help in finding a pair of boots suitable for my needs. I recently took a job in Chicago and will be moving to the city shortly. As Chicago tends to have somewhat severe winters, I think a dress boot has finally become necessary for me.

My normal outfit is trousers (tans and grays mostly) and a shirt with no tie. My go-to shoes are Allen Edmonds Fifth Avenues. I am in my 20s if it makes a difference.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCat...color=TAN&sort_by=&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=

Is this too casual to wear with slacks? I am not normally a fan of moccasin style, but I think these generally work. Thoughts?

I will gladly take other suggestions in the $300 range.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The boots look fine for things like corduroy and jeans, but tough for regular plain trousers. Also, I would just inquire specifically on how weatherproof/waterproof they really are.

ElDave

Reaction score

The boots look fine for things like corduroy and jeans, but tough for regular plain trousers. Also, I would just inquire specifically on how weatherproof/waterproof they really are.

Thanks. I think I needed someone to reinforce this for me.

Thanks for the suggestion. More than I wanted to spend, but these are much more in line with the style of shoe I normally wear. Might have to just bite the bullet and go with these.

Jobst

Reaction score
I also moved to Chicago recently. From everything locals have told me, that is not going to cut it in winter if you have to do any kind of walking outside. Think slushy, salty snow on the ground ruining everything it touches.

I bought a pair of goretex lined, insulated, rubber soled boots from LL Bean. They're not going to cut it with a suit, but I plan on changing shoes once I'm in the office.

Obviously your situation is different if all you're doing is crossing a carpark twice a day.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely spend the extra money for the Allen Edmonds boots.

Not only do they just plain old look better but I have to believe they will be much more weather resistent than the BB model. (Because of the way they are seamed.)

I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago - and unless you have lived through northern midwestern or north of Boston winters you have no idea just how cold and wet it's going to be. (Much worse than NYC for instance).

You also are going to find that the chemicals they use to thaw all of that ice and snow will wreck your shoes/boots. So before you wear them make sure you have thoroughly treated them. I would use Mink Oil - others on here will reccommend Saphir products (which contains Mink Oil). I'm certain either will work. Both will darken the leather some with time - but that's just the way life is.

Just don't skip this treatment step - or your boots won't survive one winter looking good.

And get trees for them!

Last edited:

ElDave

Reaction score

I also moved to Chicago recently. From everything locals have told me, that is not going to cut it in winter if you have to do any kind of walking outside. Think slushy, salty snow on the ground ruining everything it touches.

I bought a pair of goretex lined, insulated, rubber soled boots from LL Bean. They're not going to cut it with a suit, but I plan on changing shoes once I'm in the office.

Obviously your situation is different if all you're doing is crossing a carpark twice a day.

If the weather is not too bad I'll be walking from the south loop to Michigan/Wacker... not an epic hike, but not crossing the street, either. In more inclement weather, I'll definitely take mass trans. As much as I hate to do it, I might have to go the same route as you and buy some legitimate ugly, functional boots for when things are particularly bad.

Definitely spend the extra money for the Allen Edmonds boots.

Not only do they just plain old look better but I have to believe they will be much more weather resistent than the BB model. (Because of the way they are seamed.)

I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago - and unless you have lived through northern midwestern or north of Boston winters you have no idea just how cold and wet it's going to be. (Much worse than NYC for instance).

You also are going to find that the chemicals they use to thaw all of that ice and snow will wreck your shoes/boots. So before you wear them make sure you have thoroughly treated them. I would use Mink Oil - others on here will reccommend Saphir products (which contains Mink Oil). I'm certain either will work. Both will darken the leather some with time - but that's just the way life is.

Just don't skip this treatment step - or your boots won't survive one winter looking good.

And get trees for them!

Thanks for the tips on caring for them.

While I'm moving to Chicago, I am not new to the area. I moved to the western 'burbs a few years ago and will now be moving to Chicago proper. I probably don't have a full grasp of how bad it will yet though!

And there will definitely be trees :) This might be a silly question, but are there shoe trees specifically for boots? I assume you can use the same sort of shoe trees as a standard pair of AEs would take?

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you've lived in the western suburbs you've got a pretty good idea of how bad it will be.

Glad to know you are prepared, my nephew moved to Milwaukee from New Orleans and I'm pretty sure the first winter nearly killed him!

There are trees just for boots - they have structures to hold up the uppers upright as well as to keep the foot bed flat. Not sure you'll need them for those boots though - as they don't look like they'll tend to flop. But regular shoe trees can be hard to get in and out of a pair of boots. Perhaps someone else can address this issue though - as I've not had to seriously maintain boots in many years - being a southener as I am now. :bigstar:

For me - boots are now a novelty item which get drug out of the closet on rare occasions. So the inconvenience of regular shoe trees is just not an issue for me.

Anyone?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Might have to just bite the bullet and go with these.

bear in mind. the AE's have no class and look like crap. the BB's are also the better made shoe, if this means anything to you.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't think Fritzl is joking, and I agree with him on his former point. No idea about the BB Boot's construction, so no opinion on his second point.

care to expand on why you think they lack class and look like crap?

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It just looks like a badly done bastardization.

It is not rugged enough to be a work boot, and not refined enough to be a dress boot. It is like a person who bought all the right cloth, but combined them in a horrible manner and end up looking horrible.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting...can't say I agree but to each their own

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a pair of rubber Ralph Lauren boots last winter and they are probably one of the best purchases that I have ever made. Sartorially, they are lacking, but functionally they are perfect. Add another bag to your commute and bring a pair of shoes to the office and go for comfort/durability. No point in ruining your feet, clothes, and mood by trudging through the conditions in poor apparel.

Take this from The Style Guy, one of GQ's two only knowledgeable writers.

Are boots with suits OK in winter? I live in Chicago and walk to work, and I hate messing up my dress shoes.

Nothing looks more pathetic than an underdressed businessman negotiating the arctic blast. It’s some kind of prepster machismo that is entirely ridiculous, unhealthy and ruinous to footwear. I see these hatless, coatless knuckleheads all winter, up to the socks in slush, skidding and falling in their leather-soled dress shoes. Over-the-ankle lace-up boots with rubber soles are great for winter conditions. I wear them with a suit at the hint of impending slush. I also have a higher—but sleek—pair of Prada post-Beatle boots with rubber soles that are snow tires for the feet. Of course, if you want to wear your dress shoes, nothing’s more sensible than covering them with classic galoshes. You also have the option of braving the streets in foul-weather footgear such as Timberlands and then changing into something more dressy once you hit the carpet. Remember this handy mnemonic device: boots rhymes with suits; muck rhymes with schmuck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics