1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Thoughts on Theory Suits

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by txnskr, Jul 14, 2006.

1. txnskr

txnskr Member

I saw a bunch of Theory Suits (2 button/flat front pants) on sale at Saks and I wanted to know what you guys thought of these? Retailed for $999 on sale for $497.50, they have an 8in drop which is perfect for me as I am tall and slim. Any ideas on how they stack up against other suits in that price range (saque and others)?
    Thanks

2. DGP

DGP Distinguished Member

If they have your size, I'd go with the Zegna Z suits on the Saks sale, only because they are going for about $350, and had the same original retail price. Though at only about $150 difference, I'd go with what fits better. FWIW, I am also tall and thin, and the cut is just right for me.

3. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Stylish Dinosaur

Quality wise, I believe both of the suits mentioned are fused, but I think the quality isn't bad otherwise and if you like the look... I agree that 50% off doesn't seem spectacular.

4. philosophe

philosophe Distinguished Member

What's the purpose of the suit? Theory won't get you through life at the office, but, if the fit is great, a Theory suit could be a great piece for going out.

5. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

You can get much, much nicer suits for the price. If you love how one looks, or if you're looking for something to wear when going out, you might consider getting one on deep discount. But otherwise, I'd look elsewhere.

6. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Distinguished Member

Even on sale they seem very over priced. If you like their style over labels, then maybe it's a good deal.

7. Joffrey

Joffrey Stylish Dinosaur

He has only 3 posts... you experts care to mention where he can find better suits at a similar cost?

Ebay may be too wild (I still hesitate to buy from there and my posts are in the dozens!)

8. DGP

DGP Distinguished Member

I will add one other thing. I am guessing that that Theory suit is less than you think it is. Out of curiosity, I asked the salesman at Saks about the price of a white cotton Theory suit, because it had never been marked down during the first round of the sale. He said it should have, so the price was actually 50% off of something less than $999. I would double check at the store.

9. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

He has only 3 posts... you experts care to mention where he can find better suits at a similar cost?

Ebay may be too wild (I still hesitate to buy from there and my posts are in the dozens!)

Sierra Trading Post is always a good starting point.

10. Englandmj7

Englandmj7 Senior Member

I actually own a Theory suit that fits excellently and is made of decent fabric. I paid $260 for it at Nordstrom Rack. I would certainly not pay $900.....

11. txnskr

txnskr Member

What's the purpose of the suit? Theory won't get you through life at the office, but, if the fit is great, a Theory suit could be a great piece for going out.
    I wear suits for work mostly (less so for social events) and since I work in PR and am pretty young I thought that these may work. I do really like the cut of the suit, but if I can get the same thing or something nicer for a similar price then I'm up for that. I did not see any Zegna Z suits in my size for sale or anything that was navy without bold chalk stripes in my size when I went to the saks sale. What about the Hickey Freeman suits, how do they stack up. They still have a bunch on sale online for $499-$549?

12. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

HF is the polar opposite, style wise. Up to you whether that's good or not.

Sacque would be a good choice at a similar price point.

13. txnskr

txnskr Member

HF is the polar opposite, style wise. Up to you whether that's good or not.

Sacque would be a good choice at a similar price point.

What about the HF Hickey (Modern Cut) suits?

14. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Distinguished Member

Virtualclotheshorse.com, Century 21, and Filene's Basement come to mind as well as STP.

15. mimiki

mimiki Active Member

My friend told me about this site called www.designingme.org
    it lets you create your own tailor-made shirts for $79.95aud delivered. He said that its very good especially for product/quality vs. price.