• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on the fit of this peacoat

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All, This may be O/T for MC, but I trust your opinions (I have also posted this in SW&D). I wondered what you thought of the fit of this peacoat? It fits almost like a suit jacket, with a bit more room. If I pull the collar up and fasten the 8th button (ie one more than in the photos and is normal - which I would not do really) it is snug across my chest. However fastened as in the photos it is quite fitted, but in a good way. I'm a 37" chest and this is a 38. The 40 in this coat is too big in all areas. I may see a tailor about having the chest let out an inch - thoughts on this? Does it look necessary or am I being overly fussy? Thanks (and apologies for the trainers - I wore these due to the snow)
smile.gif

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks good to me. Only you can tell is the chest is too tight / restricting your movements, etc.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You call that snow? wimp.
laugh.gif
The coat looks good. It's a little short for my own prefs, but nothing egregious. I just prefer the arms go down closer to my knuckles.

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would leave it alone and not alter. It lools good the way it is. If you slim it too much it will not be useful and you might not be able to fit a sweater under it. Slim is good in some things, but not all items need to be cut tight to the body.

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
Looks good to me. Only you can tell is the chest is too tight / restricting your movements, etc.
No restriction on movement, the only time I feel restriction is if the 8th button is fastened and I do a rowing motion with my arms almost parallel to the floor. Then it pulls across the chest. Normal movements however feel fine, though I can feel a degree of snugness on the chest. There is a lot more freedom than in a suit jacket though
Originally Posted by deadly7
You call that snow? wimp.
laugh.gif
The coat looks good. It's a little short for my own prefs, but nothing egregious. I just prefer the arms go down closer to my knuckles.

I have actually turned the cuffs under to shorten them 1.5 inches! So it's probably good for your preference untouched
smile.gif
I'll get the sleeves shortened though
Originally Posted by Mr.K
I would leave it alone and not alter. It lools good the way it is. If you slim it too much it will not be useful and you might not be able to fit a sweater under it. Slim is good in some things, but not all items need to be cut tight to the body.
Ahhh Mr K, I meant getting the chest let out an inch, not taken in. I think it fits slim enough everywhere and perhaps a smidgeon too snug on the chest

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Kimchi

Reaction score
The peacoat looks nice. I see you are wearing a fairly slim sweater underneath. I think you at least should be able to wear a sweater. In my opinion, when you start questioning if something is too tight, its usually too tight. Wearing thin stuff it looks good though and I dont know about winters in england.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good fit. change nothing, and congratulations.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads