• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on suit supply overcoat and colour choice

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean. This is a set-in sleeve topcoat. I said I think the S&M one looks better than the Suitsupply.

Here's S&M

View attachment 1462868

Here's just one of the many coats I've already posted on your request

View attachment 1462869

Looks pretty similar to me.

Yes, you added in the pictures to post #26 after I replied.

I don't like the coat pictured above with jeans and I'd like it even less once it was buttoned up.

The Prussian collared pseudo-bal Ian was wearing in your original post looks a lot better.

dscf5550-2-1024x874-jpg.1462828

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, you added in the pictures to post #26 after I replied.

I don't like the coat pictured above with jeans and I'd like it even less once it was buttoned up.

The Prussian collared pseudo-bal Ian was wearing in your original post looks a lot better.

dscf5550-2-1024x874-jpg.1462828

?

DSCF5550-2-1024x874 (2).jpg

DSCF5769.jpg

DSCF5769.jpg

DSCF5769.jpg

DSCF5769.jpg

This coat is actually a half set-in sleeve. Same coat as this, but in a different material.

image1-4.jpg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, I know. It's why I called it a pseudo-bal. It's still a very different style than the coat the OP is asking about.

I'll give you some pseudo-bals.

Anyway, I don't care for really flat-looking topcoats. I think the SuitSupply ones would look lame with grey flannel trousers or jeans. They look really cheap and bland. The S&M one is nice cause it has more texture. I think it would look fine with jeans and a chunky sweater. Topcoat with jeans is one of the easiest looks, IMO. Surprised anyone needs rules about this given it's the most basic, J. Crew kind of look.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean, that's just a bad outfit all around. I don't think it has to do with the set-in sleeves or the fact that he's wearing jeans. His coat is too tight. He's wearing a tie without a sport coat, which makes the tie look like an affectation. The cloth on his coat looks a bit flat. He's wearing his coat closed (which would still be an issue if he was wearing a Barbour). The outfit would look bad even if he was wearing grey flannel trousers.

Multiple people in the photos I posted above are wearing topcoats with set-in sleeves, including Greg and Peter. Here's three more

View attachment 1462844
View attachment 1462845 View attachment 1462847

I don't normally like to disagree with you but the only one of these that looks really good is the last which has the most casual coat of the lot. The other two look like English public schoolboys.

Incidentally, our favourite Japanese influencer also looks unusually bad in that coat and jeans combo posted previously - I think it's the combination of closing everything possible on the coat with rather narrow jeans and long shoes. Our favourite forum Italian-American electrician looks *a lot* better in a similar coat.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't normally like to disagree with you

? ? ? ? ? ? ?

I don't normally like to disagree with you but the only one of these that looks really good is the last which has the most casual coat of the lot. The other two look like English public schoolboys.

Incidentally, our favourite Japanese influencer also looks unusually bad in that coat and jeans combo posted previously - I think it's the combination of closing everything possible on the coat with rather narrow jeans and long shoes. Our favourite forum Italian-American electrician looks *a lot* better in a similar coat.

I think Camoshita looks great, but agree that buttoning a topcoat isn't ideal. I don't have a problem with people looking like English schoolboys, but not sure I know what that means in this specific case. It does look a bit basic and maybe even a bit "preppy" in the modern sense of the word. But I think it looks good.

I just think of it as a very J. Crew kind of look, which seems like the safest thing in the world. This feels like we're arguing over whether Nike Killshots are a bad shoe.

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll give you some pseudo-bals.

Anyway, I don't care for really flat-looking topcoats. I think the SuitSupply ones would look lame with grey flannel trousers or jeans. They look really cheap and bland. The S&M one is nice cause it has more texture. I think it would look fine with jeans and a chunky sweater. Topcoat with jeans is one of the easiest looks, IMO. Surprised anyone needs rules about this given it's the most basic, J. Crew kind of look.

Ha!

I think we'll have to agree to disagree. I do think that it's not quite as simple as being a basic ***** J.Crew look. You could say the same thing about a sweater and jeans, but it's still shockingly common to see people wearing thin, 'flat' merino sweaters with denim. That doesn't look right either.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ha!

I think we'll have to agree to disagree. I do think that it's not quite as simple as being a basic ***** J.Crew look. You could say the same thing about a sweater and jeans, but it's still shockingly common to see people wearing thin, 'flat' merino sweaters with denim. That doesn't look right either.

I mean, sure. Then just avoid flat merino sweaters and flat wool topcoats. Wear things with textures. Wear chunky textured knits and tweed topcoats with jeans. And don't wear things that are too tight. Problem solved.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
The camel/wool SM is 560 gm weight - is this pretty heavy for Northeast Winter assuming a sweater and scarf underneath?

Unlikely. I mean a lot depends on the fabric composition, weave, and finish, but I would say that that is too light for the NE. Probably want more like 25-35 ounces.

A lot also depends on what you wear with it, how long you will be outside, and what sort of activities you are doing while wearing the coat. If you are just walking outside for 1 minute to your car, then 20 ounces is probably fine. If you will be engaging in physical activities where you will generate a lot of heat, then 20 ounces is probably fine.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unlikely. I mean a lot depends on the fabric composition, weave, and finish, but I would say that that is too light for the NE. Probably want more like 25-35 ounces.

I would say at least that much, since I have an old peacoat in the range of 32oz and it's just good enough on some of the colder days. A longer coat really makes a difference as well.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
? ? ? ? ? ? ?

I think Camoshita looks great, but agree that buttoning a topcoat isn't ideal. I don't have a problem with people looking like English schoolboys, but not sure I know what that means in this specific case. It does look a bit basic and maybe even a bit "preppy" in the modern sense of the word. But I think it looks good.

I guess it's just that I really was an English public schoolboy and I find the fetishism of that class position as a lifestyle (preppy, if you want the American equivalent) a bit repulsive. My problem, perhaps.

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want that Abercrombie joint. They need to bring that back.

cr2596

Reaction score
Damn, y'all scared the OP away.

The navy or a charcoal topcoat will work for your purposes. It translates across all genres. The more texture the better, but you'll be fine regardless. No one cares if the sleeves are raglan or otherwise.

I'd go with the S&M option. I have last year's single breasted in camel. It's a nice option. Size up one, if you want to wear a light jacket or SC under it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads