• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on suit supply overcoat and colour choice

aquatherm

Reaction score
Gents,

I know this is far from a traditional overcoat however I am looking for something that can be worn with jeans and chinos yet can still be worn with trousers if required. I was thinking of the lighter grey for a more casual look. The blue one has a herringbone pattern which makes it a bit more casual than a solid navy coat.

Thoughts and alternatives welcome.

Thanks
J775_25.jpg
SmartSelect_20200920-224708_Samsung Internet.jpg

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're alright, but the textures look fairly flat to me.

How about this?

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not one who gets cold easily . And I have lived in Upstate New York and
Chicago. All of the three coats shown look light and skimpy and fit too close
for warmth. Unless one is hopping into a car from a heated place etc, and hopping
out to the next heated place these coats are inadequate.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think a balmacaan style works better with casual outfits.
I know that has become trendy the past couple years in menswear forums, but that look isn't for everyone.

For a casual look, a single breasted top coat is right up there.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not one who gets cold easily . And I have lived in Upstate New York and
Chicago. All of the three coats shown look light and skimpy and fit too close
for warmth. Unless one is hopping into a car from a heated place etc, and hopping
out to the next heated place these coats are inadequate.

SS says nothing about fabric weight. I can't bring myself to buy a coat that only cares to write what Italian mill the fabric comes from.

The S&M coat linked here is a much better alternative. At least you know if it'll be warm or not. There are wool/cashmere options in the same style and weight from the same brand.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SS says nothing about fabric weight. I can't bring myself to buy a coat that only cares to write what Italian mill the fabric comes from.

The S&M coat linked here is a much better alternative. At least you know if it'll be warm or not. There are wool/cashmere options in the same style and weight from the same brand.
I think the main issue with warmth with many SB coats is how deep the chest/neck is compared to most DB coats.

You'd need a pretty voluminous scarf to fill up all that space to keep warm air in, and cold air out.

nsgmd

Reaction score
The camel/wool SM is 560 gm weight - is this pretty heavy for Northeast Winter assuming a sweater and scarf underneath?

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The camel/wool SM is 560 gm weight - is this pretty heavy for Northeast Winter assuming a sweater and scarf underneath?
These questions are always hard to answer IMO.

It all depends on how hot you run, how long you plan on being outside, and how cold it gets there.

I'm assuming that would be on the fairly warm side with what you listed if in a place like NYC, and had to walk fairly often and were in heated areas.

If you were frequently standing on unheated windy train platforms in winter time, it may not actually be warm enough.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

560 gm is pretty standard for a coat in that design. I think it looks nicer than the Suit Supply versions.

Topcoats are more of a fall garment, whereas you'll want something heavier for a Northeast winter.

aquatherm

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies and recommendations. I like the look of the S&M coat and the added cashmere is a bonus. Price is reasonable too. However a couple of deal breakers. I'm in the UK and so returns will be a pig if it didn't fit. The coat only comes in one length and I'm only 5'7" so the coat may be a bit long for my liking.

Now I know what it feels like to buy English shoes from the US. I'm lucky to have C&J, Church's, Edward Green and RMW half hour away (although the EG store has terrible customer service)

We rarely get really cold winters in the south of England so a really thick coat isn't necessary. Besides I recently bought another coat for that purpose anyway.

I'll have a look at the suit supply one anyone out of curiosity since there is a branch one stop on the train from where I live. But I have gone off it a bit

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both coats are displayed in such a way that they look as though they would fit very close and tight.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I usually do when this topic comes up, I recommend taking a look at
O'Connells selection, if only to get an idea of possible options.
They offer very traditional coats, and everything else.
The selection is very wide and the coats can be very warm:

Last edited:

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this is discouraging or helpful to your search, but in my case I've never been able to find topcoats that suited my needs/tastes, so I ended up getting a custom one instead.

If you don't need something to go over a suit or formal clothes, I'd actually suggest something like a peacoat first. They can look especially good with jeans.

Either way, I'd pick a grey topcoat before a navy. Grey goes well with a variety of colours, but will never clash with jeans, and I find it works better with a variety of looks (minimalist, classic, urban, etc).

aquatherm

Reaction score
Thanks for the links. I had come across o'connells before when looking at Scott peacoats.

NA, I already own a peacoat (or a variation of it) and I always a single breasted coat. As for getting one custom made, I don't think I would wear it enough to justify the cost purely because of what I do for a living.

I'd prefer something cut a little closer to be honest because I'd only wear it with a cardigan or jumper under most of the time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads