Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Thoughts on sport coat styles/colors

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by seatown, Oct 14, 2013.

1. seatown

seatown Member

Suggestions on a versatile sport coat that can be worn with a variety of pants (charcoal chinos, navy chinos, dark denim)?

2. Twotone

Twotone Senior member

It's hard to beat a navy blazer for it's versitility. It will go well with all of the pants on your list. Second, would be a tweed sport coat, especially now it is fall.

3. seatown

seatown Member

Thanks, do you think a navy sport coat will go with navy chinos or too close of a match? I read in one of the other forums that it can look like you're trying to piece a suit together.

Tweed might work, I'll take a look at some options. Seems like it's casual enough to go with all.

4. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

No, navy definitely won't go with navy.

5. seatown

seatown Member

Agree after reading some more threads. I'm thinking I'll ditch the idea of trying to find a single sportcoat that goes with everything and go for a navy unstructured to start.

Tips on where to look?

6. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

A wise decision.

All too often on SF, someone asks for help in finding, say, a pair of shoes that would go well with a conservative charcoal suit, a seersucker sports coat, chinos and an OCBD, and jeans and t-shirt. Adopting such an approach inevitably results in a choice which is, at best, tolerable with a moderately wide variety of items, but a truly excellent match with few or none. I think of it as the Swiss Army Knife approach - sure, you get 47 tools in one small package, and that's certainly inexpensive and convenient, but how many of them are anywhere near as useful as a full-size tool, specifically chosen for the job at hand?