• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on some winter tweed sport coats?

AgentQ

Reaction score
My original plans for getting a Bookster coat never came to fruition, and at this point, I'd like to get a coat sooner than later. I understand that BB, J. Press, Andover Shop, RL, etc. have some very nice tweed offerings, but those seem to be in the $500+ range. I'm looking for more of a 'beater' tweed coat, something that I'd like to buy new (not off eBay), and wear quite a bit in Boston's wintry conditions without fear of destroying it (and with replacement options that are easy on the wallet).

So, I present to you two options I have been considering:
1) Jos. A Bank 'Executive' 2-btn coat (Harris Tweed)
http://www.amazon.com/Executive-2-Bu...9051390&sr=1-1
I know this company isn't exactly top of the line, but it is Harris Tweed, and their other clothes are decent, in my opinion.

2) J. Crew Washed-wool herringbone
http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...6287/96287.jsp
I have no clue on the quality of this, but this was posted by somebody else.

Thoughts?

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I must admit, I certainly like the color and pattern of the JAB jacket. I can't tell but I'm guessing the pockets are typical flapped pockets and not patch; and patch pockets are nearly a necessity on such a jacket IMO. Also, you'd be well served by going to the physical stores for both retailers and try on the same model jacket as I'll bet the fit is drastically different. And, the details are rather different between the two. For instance, notice the width of the lapels on the J. Crew jacket compare to the JAB; the J. Crew is much narrower.

Irond Will

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're just looking for a warm tweed beater, you could probably just hit some of the discount stores around Boston. K&G in East Cambridge has cheap but warm coats that will get you through a winter - I wore one of their $100 wool overcoats for years. Their stuff is probably on a par with Men's Wearhouse, only less expensive. It's not the kind of thing you're going to hand down to your grandkids, but they do the job and look basically fine for most purposes.

Marshall's seems to have lousy options around Boston, but you may have better luck than I have. Filene's seems to be kind of upscale for a beater, but if you have a good eye and a common size, you might find a deal there as well.

Personally, I recently got a tweed beater off eBay for $20.

AgentQ

Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
I must admit, I certainly like the color and pattern of the JAB jacket. I can't tell but I'm guessing the pockets are typical flapped pockets and not patch; and patch pockets are nearly a necessity on such a jacket IMO.

Why? Is it a function of the type of jacket, or the material? I'm not too knowledgeable about pocket styles.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A bit of both I suppose. For a more casual odd jacket, I'm (now) strictly in the patch-pocket camp; even more so when it comes to textures and patterns for tweeds.

BTW, I said "(now)" above not because I was initially against patch pockets on such jackets, but I used to not care one way or another. Now, after seeing jackets in patterns/colors/textures such as these in patch and flapped pocket configurations, I much prefer the patch, for the reason stated above.

izlat

Reaction score
Btw - I also *need* (=prefer) elbow patches on tweeds

Cheers

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that elbow patches can make for a very nice stylistic detail on tweet jackets, but I don't think they are mandatory; unlike patch pockets. For me, elbow patches are a jacket-by-jacket decision whereas patch pockets are always. YMMV.

izlat

Reaction score
^ Definitely! I love the patches, but there are tweeds that don't look better with them.

Cheers

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by izlat
Btw - I also *need* (=prefer) elbow patches on tweeds

Cheers

I believe the iGent code of ethics states that you should have patch pockets, but that you should NOT have patches on your elbows.

izlat

Reaction score
I'm not sure what the iGent is, even more so about its code of ethics... Is this in the Wiki?

Anyway, I'm not going to follow all the rules
plain.gif

Cheers

Cid

Reaction score
Are you targeting a sport coat or over coat?

AgentQ

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RLlikes
Are you targeting a sport coat or over coat?

Sport coat, sorry for not making that clear.

MiloX

Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
I must admit, I certainly like the color and pattern of the JAB jacket. I can't tell but I'm guessing the pockets are typical flapped pockets and not patch; and patch pockets are nearly a necessity on such a jacket IMO. Also, you'd be well served by going to the physical stores for both retailers and try on the same model jacket as I'll bet the fit is drastically different. And, the details are rather different between the two. For instance, notice the width of the lapels on the J. Crew jacket compare to the JAB; the J. Crew is much narrower.

I tried that jacket on a couple of weeks ago. I was completely shocked by the OTR fit. Decent waist suppression for a JAB jacket. I don't recall if the pockets were patch or ****. Fabric was decent. LOVED the pattern. I think it is a good value for $160.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads