• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on shoe I'm about to purchase.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a fan, but whatever rocks your boat

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What color are your suits? What's your budget?

Edit: Also, get brown instead.

Navi

Reaction score
I have that shoe in black and it worked fine until I got my pair of AE Byron's. Still wear my Mercanti's every once in a while, I enjoy the style and they've held up pretty decently so far. I wouldn't buy them unless at a MASSIVE discount though, im talking 75%+. Grab a pair of Park Ave's or Fifth Ave from here instead.

chet31

Reaction score
I like it, am a fan of minimalist brogueing. I like the AE Fifth Avenue, but also check out the AE Vernon.

emperus

Reaction score
More information. I don't usually wear oxfords. I tend to buy slip ons. Though for whatever reason, I own a couple of brown oxfords. One being an Allen Edmonds with full brogueing. I don't wear it much, I find it still bulky. So, I'm a groomsman in a wedding. We've purchased suits and the groom gave us a picture of the type of shoe he wants us to wear (cap-toe oxford). I don't own a black cap-toe oxford and was going to say screw-it and wear one of my dressy slip ons. But I relented. But since I'm not going to wear it often but may wear it again, I wanted something reasonable. I did not see the AE's with the minimalist brogueing mentioned here. So I will check them out. There was a black Bruno Magli in Bloomingdales that I really liked as well. I'll re-consider that, as well.

Thanks.

Xenon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by emperus
. One being an Allen Edmonds with full brogueing. I don't wear it much, I find it still bulky. There was a black Bruno Magli in Bloomingdales that I really liked as well. I'll re-consider that, as well.

Thanks.

AEs are good shoes and well respected here but if you are not a die hard traditionalist you will find all of them bulky. Sleek and trim looking is just not what they are about. I personally tried to find an AE style i like but failed.

The ones you posted look nice, and contemporary. Although the quality is unknown if you don't use too often don't worry too much about that.

If you are looking for a good quality modern sleek looking captoe you will likely need to spend upwards of $600 and likely much more if in a hurry. Look at B&S and if lucky enough I think you will like the Vass U last, G&G in TG73 last, JLP in the 8000 last as well as several C&J lasts.

ktrp

Reaction score
I don't know if the lower end U.K. shoes would be sleek enough for OP, but he could consider the Herring Kensington II (Loake) or Belgravia (Barker).

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emperus
More information. I don't usually wear oxfords. I tend to buy slip ons. Though for whatever reason, I own a couple of brown oxfords. One being an Allen Edmonds with full brogueing. I don't wear it much, I find it still bulky. So, I'm a groomsman in a wedding. We've purchased suits and the groom gave us a picture of the type of shoe he wants us to wear (cap-toe oxford). I don't own a black cap-toe oxford and was going to say screw-it and wear one of my dressy slip ons. But I relented. But since I'm not going to wear it often but may wear it again, I wanted something reasonable. I did not see the AE's with the minimalist brogueing mentioned here. So I will check them out. There was a black Bruno Magli in Bloomingdales that I really liked as well. I'll re-consider that, as well.

Thanks.

If its a one time use shoe purchase I say buy whatever is cheap! I have some black cap toes that I have never worn, but keep in case of a funeral/ultra conservative meeting. To be honest for your use I would think black AE PA's would be more than adequate, maybe even overkill for the amount of use they will get. As to sleekness, they will be more sleek than 99% of the shoes there.

GBer

Reaction score
Minimalist? Get a wholecut. What are you planning to wear this for? Work? Lounge wear? Personally, I think it's
ffffuuuu.gif

LanceW

Reaction score
Pony up for the Edward Green Chelsea and sleep well knowing you will have every funeral, interview, wedding and formal night covered for the rest of your life.

emperus

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. Some of the shoes in the post really got me excited. I'm tired of looking for shoes at the momet, so I think I may keep them for now esp since I found them at $90 in the B&M. But, I will keep a lookout for another dressy oxford.

emperus

Reaction score
I actually think my next pair will be bespoke. I think I owe my feet after years of abuse (old football etc. injuries). Off topic, but where should I be looking?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads