• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on shaving your legs

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I'm a cyclist so I shave my legs for a number of reasons. I was wondering if anybody does this just for vanity though. Now that I do it, I think it looks really good, but I do get called a "***" occasionally.

What are your thoughts?

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only if you are a cyclist...then it's a must. Otherwise, I don't see the point

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by uhurit
Only if you are a cyclist...then it's a must. Otherwise, I don't see the point
+1. Even when I was an avid cyclists I didn't, but I clearly understand why cyclists do it.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For serious cyclists shaving legs is a ritual and a "dress code" of sorts...also,in case of a fall, shaved legs make it easier to treat wounds+ spandex and leg hair don't go well together aesthetically

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Purely for aesthetics. I think cyclists sometimes claim that it is for ease of dressing road rashes, but that's BS IMO - it's just a way of covering up for what society views as a feminine activity. It's a ritual for road cyclists. I think it's much like swimmers shaving their bodies - it feels good in the pool and it looks good and that's justification enough.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Don't do it unless you are a competitive swimmer or cyclist.

Modern Day Adonis

Reaction score
I shave my legs, before the first meet of each season (cross country, indoors, and outdoors). Most fast/serious runners do shave their legs, so it is a bit of a culture thing; it makes massage and taping much easier and enjoyable. However, I'd be lying if I claimed it wasn't also done in vanity; it makes your muscles/veins/leanness much more apparent.

I've gotten a few comments from people but not many, I think if you have decent legs most won't care. Shaving your arms however, is a big no-no.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally like my body hair.

But I see nothing objectionable about it. I always think people should be encouraged to do what THEY personally want to do, regardless of the perception of others. Although I, with some exceptions, reject the notion of masculine and feminine... Going by what the stereotypical traits that are masculine and feminine, how is covering up who you are and refusing to do what you really want to do masculine? Isn't it, in a way, being timid? Bowing to other people's ideas in order to avoid potential conflict?

I realize this argument is so idealistic that it is impossible to apply in many situations, as sometimes the risks of "being yourself" outweigh the rewards. But as long as you wear long pants to work, I can't imagine what excuse you'd have for not shaving your legs if you want to shave your legs.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did for highschool swim team... and then when I was cycling centuries...

I disagree that it doesn't help with road rash... I skinned everything off a calf WITHOUT shaved legs... nothing like leg hairs pulling on a huge scab.
ffffuuuu.gif

No longer though as cycling is long since history.

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish I had my leg hair on my chest. I'd be so Tom Selleck-y.
drool.gif

East2West

Reaction score
In addition to making treating wounds less painful, its also helpful at preventing infection.
If your running, biking and get a cut and dirty hair gets in the cut well, thats no good.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm the only person here with hairy legs like chewbacca?

I don't shave my legs I use a clipper with a 0 setting. Do it about every few months or so. I don't see nothing wrong with it.

Flame away!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads