• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on Removing Nipple Buttons from Double Breasted Suits

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what are your thoughts on removing the upper two useless nipple buttons on a double breasted suit. Not only will it not look like you have nipples on your jacket anymore, but it gets rid of useless buttons. Has anyone done this? Recommended?

double-breasted-debate.jpg

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The DoW had this done on all his Scholte DBs, but prospectively.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they look better without the extra buttons. My only fear would be taking the buttons off and having it show on the fabric.

bjornb17

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tony Romo
what are your thoughts on removing the upper two useless nipple buttons on a double breasted suit. Not only will it not look like you have nipples on your jacket anymore, but it gets rid of useless buttons. Has anyone done this? Recommended?

If you want get rid of the useless buttons, then take off all 5 unused ones.

bigj93702

Reaction score
Isn't this the same jacket where you asked about making it a sport coat?

If it is - then although I am a fat ass - let me loudly state that you obviously like the look and thus should do what ever you want. Be a rebel! Dress the way you want!

That being said - I would not remove the buttons just because they are "useless," - they are like jewels.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you should add another one Scaramanga style.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigj93702
Isn't this the same jacket where you asked about making it a sport coat?

If it is - then although I am a fat ass - let me loudly state that you obviously like the look and thus should do what ever you want. Be a rebel! Dress the way you want!

That being said - I would not remove the buttons just because they are "useless," - they are like jewels.

No, that was something completely different. And the suit above was something I pulled off google images to show the nipple buttons
laugh.gif

If it's wool, there shouldn't be anything showing in the fabric that there were once buttons, correct?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Silly nonsense{ That is the style of the coat and removing makes no sense whatever. I am staggered that you harbour such thoughts.

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
Silly nonsense{ That is the style of the coat and removing makes no sense whatever. I am staggered that you harbour such thoughts.

Doesn't it just turn into a std 4 x 2 DB - not that silly

Srynerson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tony Romo

I'd be apprehensive that there would be damage to the fabric when the buttons were removed. If you don't like the look, just get a 4X2 DB in the first place, IMHO.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bjornb17
If you want get rid of the useless buttons, then take off all 5 unused ones.

But, at least two are needed, because you should be able to button a DB on either side.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scurvyfreedman
But, at least two are needed, because you should be able to button a DB on either side.

Negative, you should never button a DB the other way. The reason most of them have a buttonhole on the inside is because there is a button on the inside that keeps the lapel at the correct angle.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads