• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on quilted jackets

Tibo

Reaction score
I found a fantastic picture on The Sartorialist which revived my inclination for quilted jackets :

graphickv1.jpg

Thoughts on this kind of jackets ? I plan to buy one in navy and thought this was the Barbour Liddesdale. However on Barbour's website I'm a little scared by the "shiny" appearance of the jacket. Do you think another model would be more indicated ? If so, which one ? Eskdale ?

Does anyone know where to find pictures of the (several) other colours available for the Liddesdale ? The Barbour website only features a couple of them ...

Also, I think those jackets look much better when they are worn "on the short side". What do you think ?

Finally, in terms of usage. I mainly plan to wear this jacket with casual outfits- although I quite like the "Italian" look with a sports coat. Is the jacket long enough to do this ?

Any feedback from current wearers of the Liddesdale welcome.

Thx !

tommib

Reaction score
I've got a Barbour Liddesdale jacket and I never wear it. Seemed like a good idea at the time. It's not really shiny like in the pictures on the internet. Mine's a small and its too roomy in the body and the sleeves are a bit short for me, i.e. not fitted. But then, I am rake like. Can't really imagine it over a sports coat!

I think they always look better in pictures like this than they actually do in real life.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Several here, including me, have John Partridge quilted jackets, purchased from Sierra Trading Post. I love mine, and wear it constantly during the cooler months.

Of course, perhaps I look worse in it than I imagine...

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They are classic casual jackets that have been co-opted for "City" wear. If you do not like shiny, the british brands (Partridge/Barbour) are as bland and nondescript as the English themselves. If you want "shiny" and a more fashionable cut, RL, Loro and the like make their version of the same jacket in a shinier finish.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the jackets pictured below are quilted and they are from David Chu. (If these aren't the jackets I'm pretty sure he has a quilted sport coat). I can't decide if I like his quilted sportcoat or not. I've never seen it in person.

Link

131.jpg

112.jpg

stilmacher

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I can't stand them. Alas, there is a reason over here every 18 year old who has a father with an income of over 500 K a year owns one of these. Eventually the look got adapted by those who do not have a father with an income of over 500 K a year but only the set of absurdly reactionary ideas going with it...

Flieger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like them, however they seem to become more and more popular, especially with the 'rich' German students in the city I live in. I (and I guess other Dutch students) probably associate these jackets with antique or art dealers wearing tortoise shell Persol sunglasses. So I don't mind these jackets at all, I wanted to get one three years ago but I do not really want one now, its ubiquitous around here. The green Barbour is nice though, I suggest you have it tailored in the waist area. These jackets look much better when fitted.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flieger
(...) probably associate these jackets with antique or art dealers wearing tortoise shell Persol sunglasses. So I don't mind these jackets at all (...)
Ahem. That's me. I like them, and have just ordered a pair of tortoiseshell Persols...oh well.

Flieger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
Ahem. That's me.

I like them, and have just ordered a pair of tortoiseshell Persols...oh well.

Haha thats just great, I could be a profiler on one of these csi spin offs.
I really really like tortoiseshell Persol glasses they are great. It is however really courageous of you to admit succumbing to peer pressure of the art and antique dealer mob!

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stilmacher
Sorry, I can't stand them. Alas, there is a reason over here every 18 year old who has a father with an income of over 500 K a year owns one of these. Eventually the look got adapted by those who do not have a father with an income of over 500 K a year but only the set of absurdly reactionary ideas going with it...

I felt inclined only to wear mine after my father achieved the $750K watermark. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Tibo

Reaction score
Anyone caring to show me a pictures of the Persol tortoise shell glasses ?
bounce2.gif

Fritz

Reaction score
I would suggest trying these jackets on before making any decision, because as someone posted above, I find Barbour jackets to be very oddly sized, with relatively wide bodies relative to shoulder width and sleeve length.

As for income levels: my feeling was always that the quilted jackets were sort of a budget way to get a Barbour jacket, because they are cheaper than the wax jackets. Not that there is anything wrong with that of course. But I really see so many people wearing them, they can't all be rich. They do project a rather conservative image though.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Off topic of quilted jackets; but, in regards to the Sartorialist.

I wonder how many people would laude and praise his "amazing eye"
sarcasm.gif
if the people he took pictures of, albeit still had the same clothing or style; but, were just serious BUTT ugly in the face.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads