• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on Per Se Restaurant- NYC

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's up there. Probably the best dining experience overall (food, decor, view, service, etc...). In terms of food purely, it is as good as Le Bernardin and Jean-Georges IMO, but the decor and service are better

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
If Alain Ducasse was still open I would put it on par with Per Se (but, the 2 month wait thing adds the extra "cool" factor of having dined here); but, slightly above LB and JG.

WSW

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses!

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by carlhuber
A foodie is someone who appreciates and understands fine FOOD.

Fine dining as very little at all to do with fine food.

Oh cmon. With an argument like that, what's the point of even continuing this discussion.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
If Alain Ducasse was still open I would put it on par with Per Se (but, the 2 month wait thing adds the extra "cool" factor of having dined here); but, slightly above LB and JG.
I had a GREAT dining experience at Per Se two years ago. Excellent service and meal with an eye-popping bill that was worth every penny.

I was fortunate to dine last year at Alain Ducasse but unfortunately it was on its last night of operation. The service was typical of a restaurant going out of business. I had had a similar experience a year or so prior with Union Pacific on its last night of operation, unexpectedly of course.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I had Thanksgiving dinner at AD and it was wonderful. I beleive the last night of operation was their New Years dinner, correct?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
I had Thanksgiving dinner at AD and it was wonderful. I beleive the last night of operation was their New Years dinner, correct?
I just checked my records from last year and it was December 22nd when we ate there.

carlhuber

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sygyzy
Oh cmon. With an argument like that, what's the point of even continuing this discussion.

I didn't say the two were mutually exclusive.
teacha.gif

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Re: Wine - I don't think you're going to comfortably get away with drinking one bottle of wine with a Keller 9-course meal. Not that I've been to Per Se or French Laundry, but I know plenty who have. If I understand correctly, the chefs have a very firm idea of a wine pairing for each and every course. It's possible you might get away with 3 half bottles, but methinks the peer pressure sort of forces you into more than just one bottle of the house red...

It's why I sort of resent these superstar chef restaurants.

heavyd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
I'm going to guess a person who lives in NYC and has not heard of Per Se and/or considers himself a "picky" eater is NOT a foodie. Perhaps if the OP will close his eyes and try everything he's given he will be converted.

Keller's restaurants are a Mecca for food in America, along with such luminaries as Alinea, The Inn at Little Washington and Chez Panisse. To decline an invitation or to refuse to taste something there would be regrettable. I say go for it.

Agreed, if you are going to eat around the menu, you might as well get a new pair of shoes...
musicboohoo[1].gif

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the best meals I've ever had. If you can, tour the kitchen: its incredible. Its so clean you can eat off the floor, and the quality of the raw ingredients is amazing. Tom Keller, if he's there, is also very cordial.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads