• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on Panerai Luminor model as a dress watch?

marco_rol

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Wearing my Port Auto with a suit today. Had to make the left cuff of my shirt over an inch larger than my right to accommodate it. It really doesn't look that big, and I have 7" wrists.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of the port with a suit myself. I think it generally comes down to this: if your a "watch guy" and are into the larger watches you'll wear them with anything. If you're more of an igent, you'll probably find most watches too large and unrefined for wearing with a suit.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wear it with everything except french cuffs, and I just leave the cuff unbuttoned on my barrel cuff shirts.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing says "douche" better than a hockey puck sized watch sticking out from under a skin tight suit.

marco_rol

Reaction score
Originally Posted by westinghouse
Nothing says "douche" better than a hockey puck sized watch sticking out from under a skin tight suit.

No, nothing says douche like a comment like that. I mean seriously, you've just had several people post that we like to wear said watch with suits and you post sh*t like that. You could have just said you don't like the style and don't think it goes with a suit, but no you had to just go and call us all douches - what a wanker.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
Never been interested in oversized things, be it boobs or watches. FWIW, I also think that a IWC Portugese 7 days doesnt look good with a suit.

Originally Posted by teddieriley
Wearing my Port Auto with a suit today. Had to make the left cuff of my shirt over an inch larger than my right to accomodate it. It really doesn't look that big, and I have 7" wrists.

Originally Posted by marco_rol
Yeah, I'm a big fan of the port with a suit myself. I think it generally comes down to this: if your a "watch guy" and are into the larger watches you'll wear them with anything. If you're more of an igent, you'll probably find most watches too large and unrefined for wearing with a suit.

I think the face of the Port is even bigger than a Panerai since the Port has almost no bezel.

Anyways, IMO the Panerai is a sports watch and 'supposed' to be worn while doing sporty things. With the IWC Port I am confused when and with what clothes is it supposed to be worn ? Basically if one believes that a business watch (40mm x 10mm ) has to be worn with a suit, a dress watch (38mm x 7mm) with formalwear, and so on, in which setting is a IWC Port 'supposed' to be worn ?

hrb

Reaction score
i have a 44 and occasionally wear it with suits. As everyone else has already noted, It doesn't fit well under my shirtsleeves, but i wouldn't consider it aesthetically inappropriate. if you like it and think it looks good go for it. if considering purchasing one, the 40 may be more suitable to for suiting up.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have a few Panny's that I love, but I never wear them with suits.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
Anyways, IMO the Panerai is a sports watch and 'supposed' to be worn while doing sporty things. With the IWC Port I am confused when and with what clothes is it supposed to be worn ? Basically if one believes that a business watch (40mm x 10mm ) has to be worn with a suit, a dress watch (38mm x 7mm) with formalwear, and so on, in which setting is a IWC Port 'supposed' to be worn ?

This is a sports watch for doing sporty things:

timex-ironman.jpg

or

casio-gshock-gw9200.jpg

Panerais, while originally diving watches, are pretty much fair game IMO for everything short of black tie.

marco_rol

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI

timex-ironman.jpg

or

casio-gshock-gw9200.jpg

Panerais, while originally diving watches, are pretty much fair game IMO for everything short of black tie.

Agreed. And while I respect the opinions of those with a more classic view on this, I don't think a nice Panerai on a bracelet or croc strap is a sports watch either.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I said sporty things, not actual sports

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
I wear mine every day...suits, sportcoats, whatever.

sounds like you only own 1 expensive watch.

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by westinghouse

My guess is that Westinghouse wears these kinds of watches which are small and fit under his tight gay suit cuff.

piaget-small-watch.jpg

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ginlimetonic
sounds like you only own 1 expensive watch.

WHat's wrong in having or wearing the same watch every day ? I have several but wear a JLC Reverso with almost everything.

mclean

Reaction score
I wear my Pam 5218-201 (older model, bought before the hoohaa) with a suit and it looks great, I get loads of compliments.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads