• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on odd pants with side adjusters? Are they acceptable?

Houta

Reaction score
Hey Experts,

I just ordered new trousers (pics below) then it hit me that maybe I shouldn't wear odd pants with side adjusters? The plan is to wear them without a jacket. I wear a coat to the office and take it off there so I spend all day in the building with just the trousers and shirt. Its too warm inside to stay with a jacket.

Thoughts? Shall I return them and order trousers with belt lopes instead?

B1050_3.jpg

B1050_4.jpg

mintchox

Reaction score
No problem with that, can’t see why it would be.

Houta

Reaction score
No problem with that, can’t see why it would be.
Thanks mate - I am not very familiar with the rules and don’t like breaking them without proper understanding first. Happy to hear this is not against the rules :) thanks again!

mrballs

Reaction score
no problem at all. in fact it's a mark of good tailoring to be wearing tailored pants that fit and doesn't need a belt to hold up.

Houta

Reaction score
What's the maker for this?
SuitSupply! I recieved them yesterday and took them to the tailor to shorten them. They are nice to be honest, I am even considering making a few MTM by suit supply as they don’t have many offers OTR.

misiuacademy

Reaction score
I love them. I find it hard to go back to belts actually. Here's a MTM Brown Flannel one i made not so long ago. Even wrote a review about it if you want to see!
IMG_4769.JPG side view.jpg

Jan Capek

Reaction score
Who here would dispute the charm of side-adjusters! They are perfectly ok and the only reason to turn them down would be one's comfort (lack thereof) and personal preference.

What's surprising to me is that you would get rid of them based on other peoples' thoughts.

Houta

Reaction score
I love them. I find it hard to go back to belts actually. Here's a MTM Brown Flannel one i made not so long ago. Even wrote a review about it if you want to see!
View attachment 1117291 View attachment 1117292
Nice !! And in like the Chelsea’s as well! What brand/last are they?

I have tried the trousers briefly yesterday before I sent them to the tailor and I have to admit I felt very comfortable in them. Might be a turning point for me that would take me away form belt lopes!

Houta

Reaction score
Who here would dispute the charm of side-adjusters! They are perfectly ok and the only reason to turn them down would be one's comfort (lack thereof) and personal preference.

What's surprising to me is that you would get rid of them based on other peoples' thoughts.
I am new to formal dress wear and not familiar with the rules yet hence my question! I work in the banking industrty in England now and don’t want to send a wrong message with what I am wearing in the office if you know what I mean.

Jan Capek

Reaction score
I am new to formal dress wear and not familiar with the rules yet hence my question! I work in the banking industrty in England now and don’t want to send a wrong message with what I am wearing in the office if you know what I mean.

Aha, well, then as far as my knowledge goes, in the good old days it were actually the belt loops that were considered the informal, the vulgar, the unrefined, with side adjusters (or nothing at all) being the proper style. This is no longer true, of course, and I, for one, would wear even a bespoke suit with a belt, simply because without it there would be something missing.

Still, to assess the overall style of your pants, one would need to see the whole thing.

Also, my apologies for hinting at you being too dependent on other people's opinions. I missed the part about your employment. By asking and researching and seeing to it that you represent yourself and your employer well, you are of course doing the right thing.

Last edited:

sid11111

Reaction score
Aha, well, then as far as my knowledge goes, in the good old days it were actually the belt loops that were considered the informal, the vulgar, the unrefined, with side adjusters (or nothing at all) being the proper style. This is no longer true, of course, and I, for one, would wear even a bespoke suit with a belt, simply because without it there would be something missing. However, to assess the overall style of your pants, one would need to see the whole thing.

Also, my apologies for hinting at your being too depended on other people's opinions. I missed the part about your employment. By asking and researching and seeing to it that you represent yourself and your employer well, you are of course doing the right thing.
You sir, are a fine gentleman!

misiuacademy

Reaction score
Nice !! And in like the Chelsea’s as well! What brand/last are they?

I have tried the trousers briefly yesterday before I sent them to the tailor and I have to admit I felt very comfortable in them. Might be a turning point for me that would take me away form belt lopes!
Hey! It is the Loake 1880 Chatsworth in the Jockey last. Took a little long to break in but are very comfortable now!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads