• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on Nick Wooster + JC Penny

Gorpomon

Reaction score
Saw this on Valet today and I'm curious what the rest of you all think about Nick Wooster working for J.C. Penny now.

http://www.valetmag.com/personal-sh...brand-at-jc-penney-092012.php?index1_top_lead

I would guess that for 99% of the people on SF shopping seriously at JCP is out of the question, but will that change with someone like Wooster guiding the ship? I could see myself picking up the Wool flannel blazer mentioned in the Valet article for fun (if only the lapels weren't pencil width).

Will this collection simply be relegated to the "great for someone on a limited budget!" pile, or over time (several seasons) could it become a place you might one day seriously go for some items to anchor a casual wardrobe? Over time I would like to see a great* Oxford Cloth button-down at their $25 price range.

*As great as can be

EdwardB

Reaction score
Considering they're vertically integrated (and rapidly expanding via both new B&Ms and online which will soon allow economies of scale), Uniqlo will most likely always offer a better product at a similar pricepoint. Also, because they cater to a generally smaller population (people in larger, fashionable cities), they can end up doing trendier stuff, which just wouldn't fly with JCP, who has to cater to the bulk of America. No surprise that this "new" JCP stuff is completely generic.

The thing with the JC Penney customer is that they generally just don't care about fashion. That's it. They can bring in Wooster or whatever internet superstar they want, it's not going to change anything. I know who he's worked for in the past and I'm sure he's capable of working on cool cheap ****, but it's just not going to happen. Just stand in a JCP for a while and look at what their customers actually buy. They're highly resistant to change - look at RL-backed American Living, which was decent (for what it was), yet lasted for only a few years because the customer base kept buying pleated chinos and polyester shirts. Meanwhile, they're pumping in copious amounts of ****** graphic tees and poorly-designed sportswear. Especially for such a large, well-established department store, it's really impossible to change their entire image so that they can both retain their customers AND attract a fan base that would appreciate the new clothing, but never considered shopping there before.

I don't even see a great deal of effort being put into making the clothes a great value, considering Americans (especially people who shop at JC Penney) don't give a **** about quality.

Also, hilarious that Wooster actually talks about wearing this stuff, given that he's always draped out in Thom Browne and Engineered Garments and the like.

Last edited:

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

What makes you think we like Nick Wooster?

+1. I think any widespread consideration of his appeal or clout is mostly overblown. As the OP said, those who even know who he is probably won't go to JC Penny, and those who would go to JC Penny don't know, and couldn't care less, who he is.

As well, though he looks great in a press image, get him in an interview or in person and all that uber-masculine butch "badass" imagery that comes across in a photograph goes right out the window; an overly groomed, quite poncey man of 5'5" hardly screams "american badass."

This is particularly important because unlike a fashion designer or an artist, he really doesn't have any PRODUCT that exists except for his own personal image (and his resume).

I'm sure JC Penney thought it smart to up its image by hiring him since he gets a lot of press, but I think it probably will be a miscalculation as the readers/writers of that press are a largely self-selective echo chamber. But, then again, maybe I'm just being negative, because I've NEVER been impressed with anything Wooster.

Last edited:

pseudonym

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also, hilarious that Wooster actually talks about wearing this stuff, given that he's always draped out in Thom Browne and Engineered Garments and the like.

Never seen him draped out in EG.

And yeah, wasn't he with Neiman Marcus before? Dude moves around quite a lot; I still have no idea why he's so hyped up on Tumblr/#menswear scene.

EdwardB

Reaction score
Re: EG - sometime or another, can't be bothered to dig and find any actual examples, though I'm positive it's happened. Maybe not "draped out," admittedly. Point was that he's usually in expensive stuff as a contrast to the stuff he was peddling in that interview. Obviously trying to hype that stuff up is expected since it's his job, but it just seems really unnatural given the crazy **** he's usually photographed wearing.

Last edited:

Gorpomon

Reaction score
What makes you think we like Nick Wooster?

Hmmmm, the cult around him is definitely there, and I imagine that at least some in SF are afflicted. But I am aware of the now growing tide of Wooster backlash. I didn't intend to the pose the question as "Will you consider JCP because you LIKE Wooster", but more as, "Will you pay attention because you are AWARE of Wooster, like or loathe."

Last edited:

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
edit; I just found some old threads where we talked about Wooster. I'd completely forgotten I'd posted there, too, largely with similar sentiments.

Anyway, he's very, very smart to do this and all the other things he does, because having only his name/image, and no actual products, he's got to be less worried about diluting his "brand" than in having it disappear through being forgotten.

JC Penny gives him a good paycheck and keeps his name in the papers. For JC Penny, it will only benefit them by whatever actual management talent he has (if any). His personality/image will do nothing for them.

Last edited:

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With all the pics of him on GQ and they even had an article on him going to JCP a few months ago, I think some people will go over and start looking at the clothes but I doubt anyone on styleforum or sufu will. Still while the design is a lot better I don't think the clothes will be as slim as a fast fashion retailer like H&M or Zara so overall I don't think they will do that well.

And damn I didn't know he was that short. That must be why he is always standing alone in pictures. I always thought he was like 5'11" and wore like a size 42 suit. Mind blown.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

And damn I didn't know he was that short. That must be why he is always standing alone in pictures. I always thought he was like 5'11" and wore like a size 42 suit. Mind blown.

Nope. 5'5", quite diminutive, and very... very... gay (with requisite gay voice to boot). I always giggle when I read/hear/see some straight hipster boys talking about what a "**** yeah badass" he and Philip Crangi are and all the ***** they must get....

Last edited:

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"JCP" makes me think of PCP.
Checked the article.
Uhm, this stuff looks totally bland and yeah
Wooster or not, I'll pass.

RhodeRed

Reaction score
What a bunch of jaded, sour ass ne'er d wells. For chrissakes! Give the guy some credit. I've been into JCP and never thought I would. Actually found stuff I've been looking for at a price I can afford, i.e. a quilted euro 3/4 coat, plaid sportscoat, couple of sweaters and a vest. They're trying and winning me,Someone who never thought I'd buy there, over. Swallow your shallow thoughts and give the guy some credit for reworking a tired company around. By the way, the prices were ncredible and the quality good for what it is. Uniglo? Ha! You've got to be kidding. The JCP line of shirting is similar to those I own of my older Land's End at $60 bucks a pop. These were $25 and every bit as well made. Can't wait to see what he comes up with next for them.

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What a bunch of jaded, sour ass ne'er d wells. For chrissakes! Give the guy some credit. I've been into JCP and never thought I would. Actually found stuff I've been looking for at a price I can afford, i.e. a quilted euro 3/4 coat, plaid sportscoat, couple of sweaters and a vest. They're trying and winning me,Someone who never thought I'd buy there, over. Swallow your shallow thoughts and give the guy some credit for reworking a tired company around. By the way, the prices were ncredible and the quality good for what it is. Uniglo? Ha! You've got to be kidding. The JCP line of shirting is similar to those I own of my older Land's End at $60 bucks a pop. These were $25 and every bit as well made. Can't wait to see what he comes up with next for them.

Nick, is that you?

Also, didn't some JCP shoppers once try to boycott the store after Ellen DeGeneres was named a spokesperson? And the store thinks JCP shoppers will support this guy? I don't see it.

CPaul

Reaction score
Has anyone given the oxfords a shot? I interested in what the cut is like

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads