• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on my tuxedo purchase?

sonofagun

Reaction score
I bought a Paul Stuart satin peak-lapel one-button for about 1300--what I take to be their bottom of the line model. I looked at the grosgrain and understand that seems to be the preference here, but I just liked the satin more--looked more tuxedo-ish. I had to pay about $60 to get one shoulder tailored--they said my shoulder is low, they decided against a pad, I think they are tightening it up? What do you think? Good choice for that price?

I got a cheap self-tie bow tie and cummerbund on ebay and a set of fake black onyx buttons. I'll use my own silver knot cufflinks.

How should I go about getting a shirt? What should I look for? I'm happy to get a cheap one for this event (in less than two weeks) and then get a better one later.

Thanks.

Joe Cool

Reaction score
Sounds like you're off to a good start, but as far as a shirt goes, why buy a throwaway if you plan on buying something nice for subsequent wearings?

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joe Cool
Sounds like you're off to a good start, but as far as a shirt goes, why buy a throwaway if you plan on buying something nice for subsequent wearings?

+1... If you're planning on getting something nicer later, why not just get something nicer now?

mjphillips

Reaction score
If you're in NYC check out Century 21. If you want something super cheap & quick, check out H&M. Regarding style, I'm a fan of spread turndown collar & 1/2" pleats, though pique can also look nice.

Icehawk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mjphillips
If you're in NYC check out Century 21. If you want something super cheap & quick, check out H&M. Regarding style, I'm a fan of spread turndown collar & 1/2" pleats, though pique can also look nice.

IMO spread collars look like **** with a bowtie and particularly a tux. The last event I was at of several hundred older gentlemen in tuxedos I probably saw one in a pleated shirt... most men seem to wear a plain shirt with standard collar, french cuffs, and studs.

I'm a wing collar man myself.

sonofagun

Reaction score
I am in NYC--so I will check out Century 21 for a shirt. I don't know any of the shirt lingo. I'm looking for a plain shirt (no pleats) with a wing or standard collar? What is the difference in the collar?

mjphillips

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Icehawk
IMO spread collars look like **** with a bowtie and particularly a tux. The last event I was at of several hundred older gentlemen in tuxedos I probably saw one in a pleated shirt... most men seem to wear a plain shirt with standard collar, french cuffs, and studs.

Agree to disagree.....though a wing collar looks especially terrible with a shawl lapel or pre-tied bowtie, and there are some on this board that will tell you a wing collar is only appropriate with white tie.

Knowledge is King

Reaction score
Paul Stuart is charging for tailoring now? Wow. I've shopped there for close to a decade and have never been charged for any tailoring other than re-cutting trousers.

mjphillips

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Knowledge is King
Paul Stuart is charging for tailoring now? Wow. I've shopped there for close to a decade and have never been charged for any tailoring other than re-cutting trousers.

Meant to address this as well...I was in there over the weekend trying on some stuff and there was a sign in the dressing room that said "Additional alteration charge for reduced price merchandise." Implying that alterations on normally priced stuff is free. Not sure what the case is here.

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Icehawk

A spread collar is the standard choice for black tie. I am one who believes wing collars should be worn only for white tie. Wing collars should be detachable in any case and never on a pleated shirt. To me the attached wing collar is the equivalent of a pre-tied bow tie.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mjphillips
Meant to address this as well...I was in there over the weekend trying on some stuff and there was a sign in the dressing room that said "Additional alteration charge for reduced price merchandise." Implying that alterations on normally priced stuff is free. Not sure what the case is here.

I am assuming that it was on sale; I doubt that PS would be underpricing BB on their GF tux at MSRP.

As to the shirt, it depends on how you want it to fit, since you won't have time to have it altered. If you prefer your shirts slimmer, your options will be more limited since there are not many slim tux shirts made and you won't have time for alterations. I bought one from Thomas Pink and am very happy with it even if it is a bit pricey. Brooks Brothers is a slightly cheaper option but will be a boxier fit. Same with Polo RL. H&M has one, but it's a pleat front/wing collar. I would also try Bloomingdale's, they sometimes have sales that include Zegna and Armani tux shirts.

sonofagun

Reaction score
I wasn't told it was on sale. It sounded like there was a charge because it was something special that was done to the shoulder. He marked it like he was going to reduce the amount of fabric somehow--I thought maybe by stitching it tighter together. I can ask them about this.

What do you think of this BB bib front spread collar for $135? http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonofagun
I wasn't told it was on sale. It sounded like there was a charge because it was something special that was done to the shoulder. He marked it like he was going to reduce the amount of fabric somehow--I thought maybe by stitching it tighter together. I can ask them about this.

What do you think of this BB bib front spread collar for $135? http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=

Any chance the price was $1318/1319?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads