Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Thoughts on my new fabric?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by chorse123, Apr 26, 2006.

1. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I just bought a few fabrics on eBay, which I hope to have made into some garments here in New York (LNC or Mr. Ned), or abroad based on things I already own. What do you think?

[​IMG]
    97% super 120s worsted wool, 3% cashmere. Grey/pink. 4.8 yards. 10.3 oz.
    Three piece? Single breasted jacket, vest with lapels?

[​IMG]
    80% worsted wool, 20% silk. Beige/black/blue. 5.4 yards. 9 oz.
    Probably for a 2 piece, single breasted suit. Maybe with extra trousers, since I've got the material.

[​IMG]
    80% lambswool, 20% cashmere tweed. Navy/rust. 2.7 yards. 14 oz.
    I hope this is enough for a single breasted jacket. Windowpanes are 5 cm x 6 cm.

2. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Very nice. I like them all, but the final windowpane is my favorite.

3. denning

denning Senior member

I really like the first one. But then again I have a mid gray pinstripe whose stripes are a lavender colour. May I ask how much you paid for each of the pieces of cloth? I've been interested in purchasing some cloth for myself but I have no idea what the pricing is like.

Cheers

4. Matt

Matt [email protected]

yup, love that windowpane. I pointed Jose in its direction in another thread, so glad to see it landed in forum hands.

how does it feel?

5. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

So you're the one who bought the long length of the grey with pink windowpane. I was watching it closely. But I settled on a navy with blue stripes 16 oz mohair/wool blend. Shoudl be killer.

6. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Good finds.

I think the second one will look better as a sportscoat than as a full suit.

Any idea where these are from? Mills, etc?

7. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Denning, sent you a pm. [​IMG]

I haven't had a chance to get my hands on them yet, but am very much looking forward to it.

No clue as to the mill. The seller says they are from West Yorkshire.

whoppee, those mohair blends looked amazing. But these are for (obviously) more casual suits. As much as I'd like to wear the stripes, I just don't have a need for them. Who are you going to use?

Interesting thought on just a jacket for the second. May have to think about that.

8. Beckwith

Beckwith Senior member

I was close to buying the windowpane and turning that into a sport coat, but could not settle on a tailor. Keep us posted on who you choose as a tailor.

9. Matt

Matt [email protected]

edit - answered on PM and deleted.

10. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

The first should work really well in a three piece. A DB waistcoat would be especially nice as the pattern wouldn't be broken up by a line of buttons down the middle.

Some of the pricier fabrics are made for Holland & Sherry. I suspect some of the high supers are Charles Clayton.

I am going to try out A Man and/or Y William Yu soon. If they do a good job, then probably them. But possibly Centofanti or an NYC tailor. I want to do the fabric right; 16 oz mohair blends are just that rare.

11. Beckwith

Beckwith Senior member

Is there a price range you have been quoted for a sport coat with all the fixins? What if any is the usual discount for providing your own fabric?

12. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Is there a price range you have been quoted for a sport coat with all the fixins? What if any is the usual discount for providing your own fabric?

I think LNC would be about $350 for a sportcoat, CMT. Edmorel said they charge $500 for a two piece suit, CMT. Even with material costs, I think that's a fantastic deal. Not sure about Ned, but think that's probably around $500 for just a jacket. I'll probably check out both when the fabric arrives.

13. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Beckwith, are you asking me?

Tailors who accept COM (customer's own material) offer lesser prices, generally 20-25% off. Consider though that they may refuse the cloth if it isn't up to snuff, which happens often when one tries to save on costs by buying alone. Most fabric stores operate on really high margins and price fabrics well higher than what tailors can get them for. Some jobbers have quality stuff for truly low prices, eg Howard, Tip Top. But even they have some crap that few decent Western tailors would accept.

14. dah328

dah328 Senior member

I think LNC would be about $350 for a sportcoat, CMT.
    Who's this LNC? I don't recall any prior mention of them.

dan

15. whoopee

whoopee Senior member