• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on Muji?

Peurist

Reaction score
Just came across their store in NYC as I was walking around Times Square. The price point was reasonable, but I didn't have time to try anything on. Any thoughts on quality and/or fit?

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of linen pants and a u-neck shirt I often wear to bed. Shirt fits pretty ok (not sure if the US stuff is different sizes though) and is really soft, pants are really baggy but comfortable to sleep in. I dont wear any of the stuff outside of the house though. I have had both for a couple years now and they seem to be holding up just fine.

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 2 of their bags which are pretty nice. Clothing, I've only had experience with their summer stuff. Lots of linen/linen blends some of which were slightly itchy, all were pretty slim cut.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm new to fashion, but I'd say they are pretty decent. I'm a pretty lean guy so everything fit me spot on so I rate them highly for the price. They aren't top of the line quality from what I noticed, but you get what you pay for. I like their aesthetic; somewhat plain but with a little style.

Bullitt

Reaction score
I have a couple of cotton vneck tshirts from Muji. Nice quality and good fit for a low price.

krawlxx

Reaction score
I got two sets of shoe tress from the Muji store in Seoul, as well as a tie, and am pleased with everything. I don't buy much there, but it's one of my favorite shops to go in and look around.

drmmr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed on most points.

I've got a couple of their cotton pants and tees that I use for sleeping, and I really like them. Comfy and very affordable. Haven't really checked out their other stuff though. Will check them out soon, need to get more undershirts. My brother always grabs a bunch of their ink pens when we're in the vicinity. Decent and cheap.

bmf895

Reaction score
Their 100% cotton trench/rain coat is a bangin' deal at less than $200. Construction seems solid. Plus the fit is slimmer than most. But I would never wear an olive or a black coat. Come on Muji..where's the tan or navy?

Ecco

Reaction score
Does the US online store do regular restocks? It seems like every time I look at that site there's absolutely nothing on there and what they do offer is sold out in most sizes.

domppa

Reaction score
I always visit Muji when possible. Especially in Asia their stores offer a really nice retail experience. It's rare to see a shop where everything they sell is so well in sync aesthetically. Their household products are usually durable and well priced.

As for the clothes, the quality is good considering the price. The price/quality ratio was even higher a few years ago when the Yen was weaker compared to Euro. I would say the quality of clothes is a above Uniqlo, and well beyond most high street brands. In Asia the clothes are cut in a more Japanese pattern (shorter sleeves, slimmer fit) than in Europe (and I guess US as well). I'd say Muji is best for casual shirts, sweaters and outerwear. The more formal clothing isn't on par with the casual styles. And of course 1€ notebooks.

Ecco

Reaction score
What about their online store? I'm not near NYC or SF so brick and mortar is a bit out of the question for now.

hoodyear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm reviving this thread to express both my admiration for and frustration with Muji. I'm consistently impressed by their clothing--their OCBD and chino are probably my favorites at any price point, let alone theirs--but their stock is extremely sporadic and their webstore is a joke. I'm really hoping they revamp their web presence a la Uniqlo one day.

Incidentally their plimsolls, if you can find them, are an absolute steal at $30. Solid construction and they actually provide good support.

Last edited:

Dino19

Reaction score
A good place to get your basics, great value for money. No complains at that price point.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads