• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts On "mainstream" Jeans

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious as to what people's thoughts are on Diesel, Energie, G-Star, True Religion, 575, Rock'n Republic, Paper Denim and Cloth jeans.

I don't see them mentioned much at all in these posts, and was curious as to how people on this forum see them.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
General concensus, as I've gathered:

Diesel: mixed
Energie: crap
G-Star: overpriced, if not bad
True Religion: see Energie, only worse
Paper: turning to crap over the past year or two

I don't know anything about 575, and I haven't heard much here about RnR.

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have this saying where "tastes of the mass public are inferior." Sadly holds true to most of these mentioned. If quality isn't the issue, then it's the image or customer base that I dislike.

G-star and Diesel occasionally churns out well-made, if boring stuff.

Also, the target demographic of those brands aren't represented well on this forum . The members here go for quality/fit/obscure aesthetic over trends.

I have to admit though, G-star does make good military-inspired jackets, which IMO is their best items.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
I'm just curious as to what people's thoughts are on Diesel, Energie, G-Star, True Religion, 575, Rock'n Republic, Paper Denim and Cloth jeans.

I don't see them mentioned much at all in these posts, and was curious as to how people on this forum see them.

Diesel is one of the original (non-repro) premium jeans companies. In fact, it is *the* original, and the company has put out consistently good jeans. I'm not a fan of their crazier washes or cuts, but the quality is consistent. Energie jeans are generally garbage - bad denim, consistently bad washes. G-Star makes a decent jean (The grey Ruger was a good case in point) occasionally, but overbranding is really turning me off the company. I liked True Religion for the first three months after they launched, although even then I had reservations - I do not like holes in my jeans. Then the washes got worse, and the oversaturation killed them. 575 made a decent product and overprocessed it (see a theme?) Rock and Republic make a decent product - good fit, okay denim and trims, but imo, is not worth the markup. Paper Denim came flying out of the blocks with great washes and cuts and good denim (Of all these brands, I think Louis Boston only ever carried Paper Denim, for example). Then Scott Morrison left the company, and except for the GTO-1 year, which *may* have been designed after he left, it's been a long slide down since.

tweedlesinpink

Reaction score
Rock and Republic makes fantastic fits and has very spiffy back pockets, i like! Just, like LA Guy said, way too expensive. The same goes for TR - obscenely expensive without being worth it at all.

I like Diesel alot. They make comfy casual jeans.

lupin23rd

Reaction score
I like Diesel as well. Some stuff is a little overboard, but I guess some people must buy it...

One brand I think might fit in the above list is Gas Jeans. I think they've been around a while. The washes I've see didn't really impress me much, although one model fit me really well. I'd consider it a bit overpriced as well. But then again, seems like all jeans are overpriced these days
smile.gif

m

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love my diesel jeans and have received numerous compliments on my AG jeans. Most of the stuff I see mentioned on this board are raw denim, especially in the photo sections, I suppose because there is more work involved in them and people like to post their results which is fine and dandy if you have the patience and time.

I can't be bothered so I go the store route. To me they last just as long, in fact I have some old pelepele jeans still from 1996 that I used to wear 2-3+ times a week and they just started getting holes last year and this is with very tough wear. Now they are used to work on my car and other tasks. The biggest problem I see is what other people mentioned, some go really overboard on the back pockets and the wear marks.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Paper Denim came flying out of the blocks with great washes and cuts and good denim (Of all these brands, I think Louis Boston only ever carried Paper Denim, for example). Then Scott Morrison left the company, and except for the GTO-1 year, which *may* have been designed after he left, it's been a long slide down since.

I rather like my PDC RPMs. The wash is a bit aggressive, but it looks a lot more authentic than 95% of everything else out there. Construction and quality is very good -- better than my APC Rescues, I think. The denim is selvage, has interesting details like the crotch rivet, and the fit (for me at least) is probably the best of all my denim.

That being said, they are probably the first and last PDCs I'll own.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I go back and forth on Diesel, based on the current fits. However, they always, always have at least one or two washes I like. I have started to go back to slightly looser straight leg jeans, so their Kuratt fits me great, and I like some of the washes. They always have good quality denim, and it seems you can't bust the heavier stuff. They also wear nicely, and worn in Diesels, for example, look wayyyyyy better than worn in 7s (another popular brand not mentioned in the OP).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads