• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on long coat?

fashion_newbie

Reaction score
Usually, I go through my winters with winter jackets, wool or down-filled. However, I was looking for something a little longer I can wear with my suits. Since it is recruiting season and I am a senior in college, the suit is becoming a standard. I guess it's called a pea-coat though most peacoats I have seen look pretty bland.
Any ideas on what I can get? I want to keep the budget within $200 so stuff like J Crew, BR, etc I suppose. Once I have a job, that budget can go up!

I saw this on eBay, looks a little different. How will it work with a navy or black suit? And any comments in general?

http://i24.ebayimg.com/03/i/08/7c/37/c9_1.JPG
http://i9.ebayimg.com/04/i/08/6d/ae/b0_1.JPG

Thanks!
-fn

londonj

Reaction score
I like it, what colour is that? Plaid gray? I think a charcoal/navy coat go better with a suit but it might work.

fashion_newbie

Reaction score
As per the listing, it is a "BROWN/GREENISH TWEED"
Maybe I should ask for some better pictures.
Yea, navy seems like a safer choice. I am not sure I can pull this off with a black suit. Any suggestions?
-fn

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What you linked to is not a peacoat. They are topcoats / 3/4 length overcoats.

Of the stores you listed, I'd go with J Crew and just wait for a sale. Quality is a little better, in my opinion, and I usually find J Crew styling more interesting than BR.

Anyway, the posted coats are fairly conservative and wouldn't have any trouble with going with almost any suit.

londonj

Reaction score
Charcoal is generally the most versatile colour as it will go with most suits; navy, black, some greys. Filenes basement have some nice all cashmere and quality wool blends at the moment in NY. I picked up a nice 3/4 length Mario valente there for your budget recently.

That coat is nice, I wouldn't be crazy about the dark collar though.. Reminds me a little bit of Benny Blanco from the bronx's coat!

fashion_newbie

Reaction score
arethusa - thanks. So will a peacoat or a top coat be the better choice for my needs? I am kinda short (5' 9) so I wonder if a peacoat will make me look even shorther? londonj - thanks. Yes, I am leaning towards a charcoal one too. I am near Chicago. We also have a Filenes here with some decent stuff occasionally. Maybe a trip to the city is in order, I also wanted to check out the H&M anyways. Curious but what kind of suit would this plaid design go with? http://i13.ebayimg.com/04/i/08/7e/3d/77_1.JPG http://i6.ebayimg.com/03/i/08/82/e3/eb_1.JPG Thanks -fn

fashion_newbie

Reaction score
JO3B - Wierd...I just typed up my message above and saw your post. Great minds think alike?

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want something formal, get an overcoat. Peacoats are good, but they're not for suits or formalwear. That said, if you want a peacoat, best value around is probably Sterlingwear sized down a couple sizes. If you want an overcoat on a budget, H&M is probably your best bet if you want something cheap with a modern, slim fit. J Crew, sadly, doesn't really do that. That said. quality is usually the first thing out the window with H&M, but not always. It's defintiely worth a look, at least.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
That's a Banana Republic covert coat from last winter, if I'm not mistaken? They look really nice in person, although if you are quite slim you may have to do a little alteraion.

fashion_newbie

Reaction score
Arethusa - I am definetly looking for something a little more formal. I cannot really imagine myself in a peacoat, heading out to class. Plus, as I said earlier, since I am short, I think a longer coat makes me look even shorter.
I will try H&M and if nothing fits my fancy, look elsewhere. If $200 is too low of a budget, what do you suggest is a reasonable price for an overcoat? The thing being, I don't see myself wearing this more than 10-12 days a year so I am a little concerned about spending too much on it.

Augusto - Nice! Yes, it is indeed BR fromt he Fall '05 collection. It does look nice and I am not that slim, alterations should not be needed. However, the color does not seem to go well with my black or navy suits.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're really not short. Very slightly below average, perhaps, but not short. A properly fitted 3/4 length coat is not going to make you look short, and at the very worst, you could always buy one and have a tailor take an inch of the bottom. A little drastic, but not impossible. $200 is low for an overcoat, but not impossible. Around $200, H&M really is your best shot, but you can also find J Crew and Banana Republic on sale for around that, and if you hunt carefully, higher end brands as well from time to time. If you want to and can spend more, $400 would open up your options considerably, but if you're only going to wear this for a week or two a year, I wouldn't bother. H&M would handle that easily. One thing you really want to keep in mind is fit. If you get a coat that's too large and doesn't fit well, you are going to look short. The length of the coat isn't really the issue nearly as much as the fit. As for color, given that your suits seem to be mostly dark and conservative, a dark charcoal coat would be most versatile. Failing that, just get black.

fashion_newbie

Reaction score
Thanks Arethusa. Yes, going for a charcoal now. Another newb question - what is the different between a top coat and an over coat? I will keep an eye out for a deal, maybe eBay will have something but I don't want to buy it before trying it on. I will keep the fit in mind too.

Thanks Chase and Jared. I do like the color but I can't see it going with a Navy/Black.

-fn

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads