• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on IWC Mark XV?

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Singular
The "Classic" and Spitfire varieties are identical except hands/dial. /M
I have the Spitfire, it was left to me by my late father. I don't wear it however.

ruzzi

Reaction score
didn't want to sh1t up the watchp0rn thread so thought i'd post this question here:

Is $3k a fair price for a pre-owned but mint condition Mark XV classic on original croc strap with deployant, box and papers?

I've seen a heap of beat up ones go for around around $2,400 lately but mint i have no idea.

what was the retail on these back in the day?

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

didn't want to sh1t up the watchp0rn thread so thought i'd post this question here:
Is $3k a fair price for a pre-owned but mint condition Mark XV classic on original croc strap with deployant, box and papers?
I've seen a heap of beat up ones go for around around $2,400 lately but mint i have no idea.

Original croc strap? Never seen that before...

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a catalogue from 2004 where it's listed at 22.400 Danish Kroner which is almost exactly $4.000. The original strap for the Mk XV was a black buffalo with deployant. The Pilot's Chronograph (3706) and Double Chronograph (3713) came with a black crocodile strap (as does the new Mk XVI, but it doesn't have the deployant buckle).

ruzzi

Reaction score
thanks kap. appreciate it.

seems on i'm the same hunt you were a while back.

any tips on what i should look for? i think i'll have to settle for a mint pre-owned one unfortunately!

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

$3,000 is a fair price imo but not a steal or anything like that.
$2,400 for "beat up ones" is ridiculous. When I bought and sold a MK XV about 10 years mint sold for about $1700-$1900 iirc, so the used MK XV seem to be increasing in cost quite a bit. I guess the schizophrenic fugliness of the MK XVI may have something to do with that.

bhall41

Reaction score

any tips on what i should look for? i think i'll have to settle for a mint pre-owned one unfortunately!

Just noticed you are in Oz too. I have the following Mk XV on the way (paid just over $3,000 at a reputable local second hand dealer) -

ruzzi

Reaction score
venessian - good to know. yes, they tend to be getting more expensive. i saw a few sales from 2005-2008 and a lot were under $2,000 as you said.

bhall - wow, $3,000 with a bracelet! that is quite an awesome considering the bracelet i understand is worth over $1,000? any chance you could pm the local dealer's name (maybe they can keep an eye out for me)

another general question - i have skinny (6.5 inch) wrists and i read that the black leather strap came in difference sizes (small, medium, large). can anyone confirm this and how i'd be able to identify whether a strap is small? also how much are original replacement straps?

pretty cool that so many sf'ers are into this watch.

Last edited:

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DSC_3367.jpg

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ That's still a great shot, I_D.

When looking for mine, I contacted about 40 ADs in Denmark, Sweden, Barcelona and London looking for a NOS - in the end a local AD located one for me in Holland. So if you're hoping for NOS I would contact all the ADs in your area, even though the chances probably are very slim.

As for buying preowned, I'm sorry I don't have much advice to offer, except maybe this:

IIRC, the Mk XV was in production from 1999 to 2006 and it had some slight changes in that time. The earliest ones didn't have the anti glare coating AFAIK, which can give the dial a sligtly blue tint at times. Also, the newer ones doesn't have the tritium dial like the one in the picture above (signified by the two small 'T's on either side of the 'Swiss Made' at 6 o'clock on the dial). I'm not mentioning this as I feel you should be looking for one over the other, but just to let you know that both can be authentic.

As for the bracelet, it's true that it's very highly regarded (and very costly - I believe it's close to $2000 here), but before paying extra for it, consider if you actually plan on using it...

Good luck :)

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the story behind the rectangular hand?

ruzzi

Reaction score
thanks kaplan - very helpful and informative. had no idea about those differences between earlier and later models!

i'm guessing it is easier to tell the difference between minute and hour hand when glancing at the watch (just my guess though!)

Last edited:

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're welcome.

What's the story behind the rectangular hand?

i'm guessing it is easier to tell the difference between minute and hour hand when glancing at the watch (just my guess though!)

That sounds about right. The dial design is a continuation of the 6B/346 specification set by the British Military of Defense (British Air Ministry at the time) for the Mark 11, manufactured by both IWC and Jaeger-LeCoultre from 1948. (For more see here, here and here.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads