• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

thoughts on Hudson Valley for Oct weekend?

etl

Reaction score
I'm looking to go to Rhinebeck, NY or nearby for a weekend with the wife, in early October. It should be Fall Color time.

I was hoping some of you Manhattan/tri-state folks might have personal recommendations for bnbs or small hotels? I've checked a number of the guides but would love to hear any first hand feedback or secret hideaways.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just spent the past weekend in Rhinebeck and had a fantastic time. Unfortunately, we decided to go away at the last minute and were unable to get a BnB in Rhinebeck and had to settle for Hyde Park (Inn the Woods was the name of the BnB we stayed at). Tripadvisor has some great reviews on BnBs in Rhinebeck so that should definitely point you in the right direction. If you are looking for restaurant recommendations I'll be happy to help.

etl

Reaction score
Thanks Johnny. I've been all over the web and come back with mixed blessings. Right now tops on my list is either the Olde Rhinebeck Inn or maybe the Rhinecliff Lodge if i go with someplace official. I'm also looking at weekend rentals which might be better for us.

Fwiw, I'm a huge fan of the Belvedere Mansion if you go back again. They are booked for the weekend we are going which is why i'm fishing for alternates.

I'd love to hear any restaurant feedback.

medwards

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As for restaurants, the Culinary Institute of America (in Hyde Park next to Rhinebeck) has five restaurants...and three of them really warrant consideration: L'Escoffier, American Bounty, and Catherina de Medici. The school itself is worth touring -- it's a lovely spot on the Hudson, it is a unique educational experience, and the restaurants serve some of -- if not the -- best food in the region. Keep in mind these are teaching restaurants, where both the front and back of the house are students (though well-along in their culinary education). This shows up more on the service side than the food side but you do need to be mindful of this.

etl

Reaction score
Good reminder about CIA. I'd tried to visit a few times in the past but it got away from me. Recently, I'd read some bad reviews about service there.

Since we'll be driving up on Friday, maybe it'd be a good idea to check into it for a lunch though.

Noted!

medwards

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, I fear that service can be a bit of a wild card. That's probably a natural consequence of an entire wait staff made up of students, whose focus tends to be on cooking rather than the front of the house, and who are only assigned to these responsibilities for a few short weeks. That said, the restaurants are lovely, the food generally first rate, and whatever the failings, the service quite earnest.

So here are two other nearby -- rather cozy -- restaurants for your consideration: Calico and Le Petit Bistro.

etl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by medwards
Calico and Le Petit Bistro.

Thanks for this. Calico was on my radar but i haven't tried either. I've only been to Cripple Creek and the dining room at the Belvedere.

It looks like we'll be staying in a private 450sq. cabin on a 3.5 acre lake about 15 min. SE of Rhinebeck. Should be a little rustic but the privacy coupled with vista should be great for Fall Color. The prices are comparable to upper-mid tier BnBs.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by etl
Thanks Johnny. I've been all over the web and come back with mixed blessings. Right now tops on my list is either the Olde Rhinebeck Inn or maybe the Rhinecliff Lodge if i go with someplace official. I'm also looking at weekend rentals which might be better for us.

Fwiw, I'm a huge fan of the Belvedere Mansion if you go back again. They are booked for the weekend we are going which is why i'm fishing for alternates.

I'd love to hear any restaurant feedback.

My two favorite restaurants in Rhinebeck are Le Petit Bistro and Terrapin. Le Petit Bistro is a small and intimate little place with about 20 tables and simple mostly traditional French good, but excellent nonetheless. My girlfriend and I stumbled across it last year and had a very memorable meal there and came back exactly a year later two weekends ago it was just as good. If they have the fried oysters with wasabi mayo, tobiko, and shaved cucumber do not pass on them.

Terrapin is contemporary food that has a good winelist with some good values. The braised short ribs are fantastic.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you happen to go closer to Tarrytown, Blue Hill at Stone Barns is great. Dinner or lunch (I think lunch may only be on Sundays...?)

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
you should visit Olana while you're there:
olana1.jpg
Route82DriveOlana440.jpg

etl

Reaction score
Olana is the only mansion i haven't hit yet. I'd like to get to it this time but between the political estates and Dia Beacon... i'm already getting time crunched.

Thanks for the addl food options. I think we'll be driving back via Tarrytown.

MarquisMagic

Reaction score
Make any decisions yet? Have to go to NYC next month. Thinking of making the drive up the Hudson Valley if you think it's worth it. Figure the leaves should be turning (something I miss alot).

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MarquisMagic
Make any decisions yet? Have to go to NYC next month. Thinking of making the drive up the Hudson Valley if you think it's worth it. Figure the leaves should be turning (something I miss alot).

I believe the Upstate leaves are already turning and will likely be peaking by the 2nd week of October.

MarquisMagic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
I believe the Upstate leaves are already turning and will likely be peaking by the 2nd week of October.

That should be perfect!
worship.gif

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
we're going to rhinebeck next weekend too.

Originally Posted by Johnny_5
I just spent the past weekend in Rhinebeck and had a fantastic time. Unfortunately, we decided to go away at the last minute and were unable to get a BnB in Rhinebeck and had to settle for Hyde Park (Inn the Woods was the name of the BnB we stayed at). Tripadvisor has some great reviews on BnBs in Rhinebeck so that should definitely point you in the right direction. If you are looking for restaurant recommendations I'll be happy to help.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads