• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on (how to) overdye your own denim.

Souper

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although I've searched extensively, I cannot seem to find a good source of info for this. I was wondering if it can be done in such a manner that the weft threads are not dyed(aka, no washer)

From the research that I was able to do, here is what I planned on doing.

1. Pick up some cheaper raw denim,(leaning towards new standards.)
2. Purchase Industrial black dye from dharmatrading.com
3. mix(proportions? Hot water?) , load in airbrush, airbrush jean
4. Let Sit 15 minutes
5. Hot rinse
6. Dry

Repeat 3-6? yes? no?

What I wanted to do is have a black over indigo overdyed jean that still has white weft threads. I would not do this myself if I had more choices for this other than slim jim dry black and 45RPM sumis. But I don't. Anyway, I was wondering if the above method would yield a black jean with hints of blue that eventually fades to white/dark blue(with the least distressed areas remaining blackish). That's all I'm really looking for, but all suggestions are appreciated.

Hawkeye

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Souper
I was wondering if it can be done in such a manner that the weft threads are not dyed

What I wanted to do is have a black over indigo overdyed jean that still has white weft threads.

What you mention here is not overdying. The weft threads on overdyes are the same color as the wrap, if you overdye denim all the threads will become the same color. What you are talking about is impossible unless you want to make your own denim.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hawkeye
What you mention here is not overdying. The weft threads on overdyes are the same color as the wrap, if you overdye denim all the threads will become the same color. What you are talking about is impossible unless you want to make your own denim.

I dont think that is what overdye is. Its commonly mistaken for that though

Souper

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like I said, I planned to airbrush the outside of my jeans instead of doing it in a washer or hand dipping it. Someone suggested this and I thought it was a good idea; I guess I'll just have to see how much dye the jeans retain to see how many times I'd have to rinse then repeat.

I am definitely not looking for a garment dyed black /black warp/weft jean, (nor am I even a fan of blue/blue.)

Hawkeye

Reaction score
I guess it's worth a try, and I would really like to see what happens. Maybe if you spray them really lightly a few times... or if you sprayed from below the denim so that the dye cant travel up to the weft so fast, but I still think it will go up, the dye will travel and stain the weft i think...

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hawkeye
Do tell...

I'm just at a loss as to how he plans on dying a pair of jeans black while keeping the weft threads white. I do believe this is impossible, but I have been wrong before.

Over dye is basically what it says. You take a pair of jeans that youve dyed indigo and then dye them in black to have a different color dyed over the originol. This is not the same as what you think where the thread is dyed before weaving...

Hawkeye

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghulkhan
Over dye is basically what it says. You take a pair of jeans that youve dyed indigo and then dye them in black to have a different color dyed over the originol. This is not the same as what you think where the thread is dyed before weaving...

You are right, I realized that after I read the post agian, I think I sort of trailed of at first glance and didn't really think about the spraypainting, I was thinking about dying in a bucket or something, sorry.

Slamdog

Reaction score
what would also be cool is to take a vintage levi 501 that's so washed out that it looks white, and dye it with natural indigo so its like a new dry repro.

Souper

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea, I definitely am not looking to saturate my jeans with color to the point that the dye starts to totally stain the weft. I figured I'd use a higher concentration of dye, spray lightly to coat, let sit for a while, rinse out in running water and then go from there.

This seems like a fun project for me to do, I'll be stalking the b/s forum looking for some cheap jeans. No sense in paying retail.

I'll post pictures,method and all that when I'm done. I might take a break from my new 5EPs and wear these hard if I'm satisfied with how they turn out - I'm so curious to see how they'll fade.

Anyone selling size 33-34 raws? xD

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Just try it. I'm sure it won't turn out too badly, though it might not do what you want exactly.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
post a pic of this stuff. thx

zacharydschroeder

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Souper
I figured I'd use a higher concentration of dye, spray lightly to coat, let sit for a while, rinse out in running water and then go from there.

Or, you could skip the rinsing, and they'd be pseudo rigid.

v84

Reaction score
I have some APC overdyed / garment dyed new standards, you can just make out the selvedge underneath all the black, I found em on ebay, maybe you should look around abit, maybe some would pop up for you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads