• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on Hickey (hickeystyle.com)

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are the measures from my blue oxford:

Pit to pit: 20.75"
Pit to hem: 17"
Pit to the lowest part of the shirt (it is rounded, so slightly longer in the front): 20"
And I measure the inseam of the sleeve at 20"

Sleeves fit nice and slim

On a second examination this morning, it is an excellent shirt. I'd say it is priced perfectly at $53 plus shipping

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blank
Here are the measures from my blue oxford:

Pit to pit: 20.75"
Pit to hem: 17"
Pit to the lowest part of the shirt (it is rounded, so slightly longer in the front): 20"
And I measure the inseam of the sleeve at 20"

Sleeves fit nice and slim

On a second examination this morning, it is an excellent shirt. I'd say it is priced perfectly at $53 plus shipping

these aren't really the best measurements to take. pit to pit makes sense - since that's the chest measurement. but pit to hem, pit to lowest part of the shirt, and sleeve aren't good measurements. inseam, for example, doesn't tell you much, because you don't know the armpit opening size or the shoulder width of the shirt, although you might be able to guess from the pictures.

It would be much better to measure: 1) chest (pit to pit); 2) neck, 3)sleeve measurement from back of neck to end of sleeve (should come out in the low to mid 30's, like 33, 34, 35, maybe 36). These are key shirt measurements - most dress shirts are sold based on numbers 2 and 3.

Also nice to include are 4) waist (gives you an idea of how tapered the shirt is), 5) shoulder width across the yoke (give, and 6) upper arm size (gives you an idea of the sleeve fullness, including armpit opening and giving both is pretty good).

I usually include these six measurements in my shirt auctions.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's basically a marginally more fashion-forward J Crew at several times the price (retail.) I'd buy some of their shirts and sweaters on sale though.

soultek

Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of the line. Most of the materials that make the clothes are top notch. Often times they source the fabric in Italy then make the shirt overseas.

I own two oxford shirts. The fabric is great quality, as are the buttons and the overall construction. The fit is just perfect for me, slim body, slim arms. Nice collar shape. I've been wearing my blue oxford so much that it's starting to nicely fray at the hems and cuffs (just as old beat up oxfords should!)

The cashmere sweaters are really nice as well (though pretty pricey at 700 or 800 at retail). Never tried a suit on.

I do agree that the retail price is a little high, but I believe the quality is far greater than, say, steven alan. In terms of quality I'd say it was on par if not better than APC or Theory--and certainly the price points are comparable.

Regarding styling, I have been waiting for a nicer more modern "ivy league" line to come a long for a while. Thom Browne doesn't really fit this definition. I feel like their line is a little more than nice Jcrew, it's kinda like hip rich kid wear. The clothes for the kids that live in the North East US and have to wear a sports coat when they have dinner with their parents. (or at least that's what's in my imagination)

I think this line gets lost in the cracks between Jcrew & Banana and the Fashion lines. As a result, there's some amazing bargains on their website right now. 53$ for one of these shirts is a steal. Also there's some great suits and things for cheap. Also the return policy on the website is pretty good too (not sure if it applies to sale items).

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by soultek
Also the return policy on the website is pretty good too (not sure if it applies to sale items).

It's a limited policy, which is why I was curious about the actual measurements. I don't want to be stuck with merchandise credit.

"Items purchased in this section are considered CLEARANCE items and are non-refundable. These items may only be returned for merchandise credit or exchange. Please see our Return Policy for complete details."

long_knives

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the sizing of the suits/sport coats? I'm a 38R in most (including Hickey Freeman), but a 40R in slimmer "designer" stuff like Paul Smith and Etro. I wonder what I'd be with Hickey...

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless they've changed their policy since last summer, they will not do refunds. I was planning on ordering a suit last summer but was unsure of the measurements, so I called them and asked about returning it if it didn't fit. They said the policy for clearance items was no returns, but since I was a first-time customer they offered me a one-time refund.

I didn't end up ordering the suit though, since they sold out of it before I got to it.

Hawkeye

Reaction score
Decent shirts I guess (I'm actually wearing one right now). Fairly slim fitting, though I'd like to get the bottoms tapered if I wasn't tucking (they flare out a bit like Steven Alan's). I saw them at Bloomingdale's in the Fall and they were too expensive, got two for $50 or so at Century 21 about a month ago. The cuff is already starting to fray, so I guess they are going to end up being good weekend with jeans type shirts.

I'd recommend them if you can get 'em for $50 or so, good fit overall.

soultek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
Unless they've changed their policy since last summer, they will not do refunds.

Yes, I just realized they have a strict sale policy, I was referring to their normal return policy which I took advantage of once.

When I get home, I can measure my size L oxford shirt for reference for some people.

iamaloser

Reaction score
The love between two sweaters is not a love that any mortal man can stop, NoVaguy. Though I do think that ribbed section going down the chest is way too wide.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads