1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on Hickey (hickeystyle.com)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by blank, Jul 4, 2007.

1. soultek

soultek Well-Known Member

I'm a huge fan of the line. Most of the materials that make the clothes are top notch. Often times they source the fabric in Italy then make the shirt overseas.

I own two oxford shirts. The fabric is great quality, as are the buttons and the overall construction. The fit is just perfect for me, slim body, slim arms. Nice collar shape. I've been wearing my blue oxford so much that it's starting to nicely fray at the hems and cuffs (just as old beat up oxfords should!)

The cashmere sweaters are really nice as well (though pretty pricey at 700 or 800 at retail). Never tried a suit on.

I do agree that the retail price is a little high, but I believe the quality is far greater than, say, steven alan. In terms of quality I'd say it was on par if not better than APC or Theory--and certainly the price points are comparable.

Regarding styling, I have been waiting for a nicer more modern "ivy league" line to come a long for a while. Thom Browne doesn't really fit this definition. I feel like their line is a little more than nice Jcrew, it's kinda like hip rich kid wear. The clothes for the kids that live in the North East US and have to wear a sports coat when they have dinner with their parents. (or at least that's what's in my imagination)

I think this line gets lost in the cracks between Jcrew & Banana and the Fashion lines. As a result, there's some amazing bargains on their website right now. 53$ for one of these shirts is a steal. Also there's some great suits and things for cheap. Also the return policy on the website is pretty good too (not sure if it applies to sale items).

2. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

Also the return policy on the website is pretty good too (not sure if it applies to sale items).

It's a limited policy, which is why I was curious about the actual measurements. I don't want to be stuck with merchandise credit.

"Items purchased in this section are considered CLEARANCE items and are non-refundable. These items may only be returned for merchandise credit or exchange. Please see our Return Policy for complete details."

3. long_knives

long_knives Senior member

Can anyone comment on the sizing of the suits/sport coats? I'm a 38R in most (including Hickey Freeman), but a 40R in slimmer "designer" stuff like Paul Smith and Etro. I wonder what I'd be with Hickey...

4. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I think you would be a 40R. They tend to run pretty small.

5. dusty

dusty Senior member

Unless they've changed their policy since last summer, they will not do refunds. I was planning on ordering a suit last summer but was unsure of the measurements, so I called them and asked about returning it if it didn't fit. They said the policy for clearance items was no returns, but since I was a first-time customer they offered me a one-time refund.

I didn't end up ordering the suit though, since they sold out of it before I got to it.

6. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Senior member

Decent shirts I guess (I'm actually wearing one right now). Fairly slim fitting, though I'd like to get the bottoms tapered if I wasn't tucking (they flare out a bit like Steven Alan's). I saw them at Bloomingdale's in the Fall and they were too expensive, got two for $50 or so at Century 21 about a month ago. The cuff is already starting to fray, so I guess they are going to end up being good weekend with jeans type shirts.

I'd recommend them if you can get 'em for $50 or so, good fit overall.

7. soultek

soultek Well-Known Member

Unless they've changed their policy since last summer, they will not do refunds.

Yes, I just realized they have a strict sale policy, I was referring to their normal return policy which I took advantage of once.

When I get home, I can measure my size L oxford shirt for reference for some people.

8. thepataphysician

thepataphysician Senior member

9. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

10. iamaloser

iamaloser Senior member

The love between two sweaters is not a love that any mortal man can stop, NoVaguy. Though I do think that ribbed section going down the chest is way too wide.

11. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

FYI - they slashed sale prices again today. For example, suits are now $328...

[​IMG]

12. feynmix

feynmix Senior member

time to bring this thread back from the dead.

i just received 2 casual button-ups from hickeystyle that i was able to obtain for $53 each, and here are my first impressions:

1) I ordered a medium, since the medium in J crew are slightly big on me from the chest down, but perfect on the shoulders. I figured since they are cut slim, a medium would work. Well, I am surprised how nicely they fit me on the shoulders and the chest down, but if I lost any more weight, I would prolly have to get these tailored.

2) The neck on these shirts is huge, i am not sure why it was designed this way. I have a 15.5 neck, and these are quiet big on me. I don't plan on wearing a tie, so it doesnt make a huge difference, but just an observation.

3) The fabric is really nice and thick, some of the nice fabrics i have seen on casual shirts.

13. irbe

irbe Senior member

[​IMG] I missed out in the sale. But i wanted to grab some of their shits at that price.

14. feynmix

feynmix Senior member

[​IMG] I missed out in the sale. But i wanted to grab some of their shits at that price.

hopefully someone will post another coupon code during the holiday season. I am thinking of picking up some cargo pants if they are at a decent price.

15. lefty

lefty Senior member

There's always a rack or two at C21 and the BDs are $50.

lefty

16. djs488

djs488 Senior member

I just got a button up in size small, and it is honestly the best fitting shirt I own. I want to purchase a lot more stuff from them, but right now, the prices are prohibitively high.

17. feynmix

feynmix Senior member

I just got a button up in size small, and it is honestly the best fitting shirt I own. I want to purchase a lot more stuff from them, but right now, the prices are prohibitively high.

what size do you normally wear in other brands, like jcrew for example?

18. blank

blank Senior member

Take your J. Crew size when buying Hickey and it'll fit just a bit slimmer (and for me, much nicer).

At full price point, I would never buy a Hickey shirt (though OTR, the only full price shirts I'd pay for are Seize Sur Vingt) but when they get discounted to $50ish, they represent one of the best shirting values you can find. I just received the madras shirt I ordered and it is a supple cotton with nice shell buttons (trocas shell, they advertise). It fits trim, could be tucked in or untucked. I was unsure about the button-down collar but madras is a preppy fabric and it fits (Acne, Polo do that too). I have an oxford that I got for around $50 that gets a lot of wear and is made of an incredibly thick oxfod cloth - thicker than Black Fleece, but not as supple as BF.

It is a great value on sale.

19. feynmix

feynmix Senior member

Take your J. Crew size when buying Hickey and it'll fit just a bit slimmer (and for me, much nicer).

At full price point, I would never buy a Hickey shirt (though OTR, the only full price shirts I'd pay for are Seize Sur Vingt) but when they get discounted to $50ish, they represent one of the best shirting values you can find. I just received the madras shirt I ordered and it is a supple cotton with nice shell buttons (trocas shell, they advertise). It fits trim, could be tucked in or untucked. I was unsure about the button-down collar but madras is a preppy fabric and it fits (Acne, Polo do that too). I have an oxford that I got for around $50 that gets a lot of wear and is made of an incredibly thick oxfod cloth - thicker than Black Fleece, but not as supple as BF.

It is a great value on sale.

i picked up 2 madras shirts as well. Although I really like the shirts, the colors are a lot darker on the website then in reality.

20. djs488

djs488 Senior member

what size do you normally wear in other brands, like jcrew for example?

The only J crew items are I own are sweaters, and I wear a size small. It's not so much that the fit is so much smaller, it's just... better. It's a tad slimmer across the board, but it's especially noticeable around the armpit area. The shirt remains form fitting up to the armpits, and it has high armholes, but not too high. I would take whatever your size is in J crew, and then enjoy the fit.