• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on Hickey (hickeystyle.com)

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by andreweezer
Has anyone tried on the peacoat currently going for around 200?
I just got a Hickey peacoat. It is really nice and heavy, though obviously when I get it, NorCal is 70 all this week. Also, yeah it has a pot leaf on each of the brass buttons. Not really my thing, but it is such a small detail for such a nice jacket at a great price.

Reaction score
I think the ganja emblem is the only qualm most people have with this particular line of Hickey. The really discount the hell out of their clothing on sale as well.

Also, why the F do they explicitly say no returns if their customer service department (apparently) has a reputation for adhering to such demands/requests?

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 630
So how did you smooth talk the cust. service people into taking it back?

nothing, sent it back, said nothing, no issue

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I got the 38 R I bought and immediately tried it on. It was a navy pinstripe material. The material I had to say felt very nice. Better than expected. The trousers fit me well in the waist although they were fairly roomy in the seat and ll the way down.

The jacket though was a disappointment for me, in the 38 R the length of the jacket I though was too long, and the sleeves were too short. Those problems could be tailored if needed. However, the armholes were way too large and the sleeves were wide as well.

Basically the suit IMO was way too conservative, something I would find at Hickey Freeman. There was just nothing modern about the cut at all, even though I paid $300 for a $1000 suit, it just wasn't worth keeping. The materials and construction seem very well though, but if the fit is off then it's back to the store. Also I would say that the size 38 is a 38, not a 36. I hope this helps, I've already packed it for return so no pictures
frown.gif
. Cheers.

PinkPantser

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^I would say the cut on the suit I have is fairly modern: http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...0&postcount=85 Its not skinny, obviously, but it certainly doesn't look dated or like the fuller cut HF stuff i've tried on in the past. They might be working with a different cut from season to season though, I don't know. Oh, and I agree about the fabric, I was pleasantly surprised with mine as well.

RipRoar

Reaction score
^Agree on the fairly modern cut, and I just bought mine a week ago so it is from this season. I'm a pretty standard 41R, I got the 42R, and the fit is terrific: somewhat slim, with good sleeve length, jacket length, shoulders, etc. For my money, its a perfectly useable business suit with modern touches to update it for the younger/stylish crowd - slimmer cut, ticket pocket, flat front pants, narrow-ish lapels. I posted pics over on AAAC Fashion forum in case anyone cares.

I got the navy chalkstripe, and the fabric is beautiful.

(SF n00b)

kit99bar

Reaction score
anyone got pics of the straight tip blucher boot? I'm curious how square the toe actually is.

JO3B

Reaction score
i think saying no returns saves them a bunch of hassle.

it always works in their favor. either financially or by reputation.

situation a: customer hates the clothing but agrees to the no return policy and hickey gets to keep their money

situation b: customer hates the clothing and is appeased by the customer service department, and in doing so create the feeling that the customer was singled out and happily obliged.

PinkPantser

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They do offer returns on sale items, its just that you are supposed to only get store credit. Thats not uncommon at all for retailers online and in stores. If you pay full price, you can return for cash. Policies

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MiniW
So I got the 38 R I bought and immediately tried it on. It was a navy pinstripe material. The material I had to say felt very nice. Better than expected. The trousers fit me well in the waist although they were fairly roomy in the seat and ll the way down. The jacket though was a disappointment for me, in the 38 R the length of the jacket I though was too long, and the sleeves were too short. Those problems could be tailored if needed. However, the armholes were way too large and the sleeves were wide as well. Basically the suit IMO was way too conservative, something I would find at Hickey Freeman. There was just nothing modern about the cut at all, even though I paid $300 for a $1000 suit, it just wasn't worth keeping. The materials and construction seem very well though, but if the fit is off then it's back to the store. Also I would say that the size 38 is a 38, not a 36. I hope this helps, I've already packed it for return so no pictures
frown.gif
. Cheers.

That's really strange you say that since you said your proportions are similar to mine, but I guess clothes fit everybody differently. I thought the jacket was just about right (just barely covers my rear) and the sleeves showed about the right amount of cuff. I didn't need to have anything done to the waist (when I'm back on my normal comp I'll post the pic I took of the back of the coat for illustration) as I thought the suppression was just right. I thought the coat was a nice contour of my frame. The sleeves arent tight but they're slimmer IMO. Perhaps you were hoping for more of a 36 than what you got
frown.gif
, but for me the 38R is perfect.

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not sure if this has been posted anywhere, but there is a President's Day Sale going on at Hickey. A lot of shirts are in the $50-$70 range. These fit me perfectly, at at 75% of retail, are a good deal. Good luck!

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
can be found here:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads